Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-05, 01:29 AM   #25
Clay

Arrow UPDATE: v1.0.1

Version History

v1.0.0 - Initial build

v1.0.1 - Includes a preferences section that allows you to specify which forum you want to watch.

nV News Forum Feed v1.0.1 (zip file).

Future Items

Ability for user to specify...
  • refresh interval
  • multiple forums to watch
  • forums to ignore
  • individual threads to watch
  • to watch only their subscribed threads
  • more...

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Old 08-26-05, 10:42 AM   #26
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: nV News Konfabulator Widget

Yay!!!
Old 08-26-05, 01:16 PM   #27
OWA

Default Re: UPDATE: v1.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Version History

v1.0.0 - Initial build

v1.0.1 - Includes a preferences section that allows you to specify which forum you want to watch.

nV News Forum Feed v1.0.1 (zip file).

Future Items

Ability for user to specify...
  • refresh interval
  • multiple forums to watch
  • forums to ignore
  • individual threads to watch
  • to watch only their subscribed threads
  • more...
Thanks!

I also like that this one is just one file. I wasn't sure if I needed to copy the png files along with the widget in the earlier version so I did just to be sure it worked.
Old 08-26-05, 01:23 PM   #28
OWA

I seem to be having a problem after changing my preferences to watch just the Graphics Cards Forums. After doing so, I changed my mind and wanted to go back to the "New Posts" preference. Even though I've changed the preference, I'm still just getting the Graphics Cards Forums. I then tried to change the preference to some other forum (Feedback Forum) and I'm still just getting the Graphics Cards Forums. I tried restarting Konfabulator and the widget but still just get the G.C.F.
Old 08-26-05, 04:12 PM   #29
Clay

Thanks OWA, I'll look into that. I'm not experiencing what you describe but I'll try to reproduce it. That's odd about the first file showing the PNGs, etc to you. Probably because this server doesn't have a default association with .widget files. I'll keep the download as a zip from now on.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.

Old 08-26-05, 05:05 PM   #30
OWA

It may be working. Can you describe how it should work when changing the forum preferences? What I expected was when I changed the preference to "The General Forums" (for example) I thought it would refill the widget with posts from the "The General Forums". Maybe what it is doing is slowly refilling the widget with posts with my chosen forum. I say that because I went back to "New Posts" and I'm seeing a few posts from other forums now.

It also seems to always show "New Posts" no matter what the last preference chosen (not sure if that matters) when I go back to the settings.

Anyway, here are 3 pics showing what the widget shows when I changed the preferences to New Posts, General Forums and finally Software Forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Posts.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	13102  Click image for larger version

Name:	General.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	13103  Click image for larger version

Name:	Software.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	13104  
Old 08-26-05, 05:25 PM   #31
Clay

Thanks OWA. That is very strange. I just finished re-checking mine and it works fine on a few different machines. When you pick a different forum from the preferences and click "Save"...the widget should fade away (reload) and then fade back in with the new forum content.

Can anyone else here reproduce OWA's issue?

Old 08-26-05, 05:43 PM   #32
OWA

Thanks for checking on it.

Mine does fade away but it comes back up with the same content. I may try uninstalling Konfabulator and reinstalling it to see if that helps. I tried deleting some of the keys in the registry that listed the nvnews widget but that didn't help. Where are the preferences actually stored?

Edit: Actually Clay, I think I found out what the problem is. I shutdown my ad blocker and ZoneAlarm and things are working fine now. I'll see if I can narrow down which one is actually causing the problem. With those off, things are fine. Sorry for the trouble.

Edit 2: After running it with both of those off, it's now working with both of them on. Not sure what is going on but I think it might have actually been user error. I think I might have been trying to select the main forum headings instead of the actual forums. For example, if I tried to select OPERATING SYSTEM FORUMS, it wouldn't work correctly and when returning to the preferences, it would just show New Posts as being selected. If I select NVIDIA Linux Forum instead, then it works properly and when I return to the preferences, it still shows it as being selected.

Old 08-26-05, 09:42 PM   #33
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I think I might have been trying to select the main forum headings instead of the actual forums. For example, if I tried to select OPERATING SYSTEM FORUMS, it wouldn't work correctly and when returning to the preferences, it would just show New Posts as being selected. If I select NVIDIA Linux Forum instead, then it works properly and when I return to the preferences, it still shows it as being selected.
Glad you got it figured out. And yes, that is kind of a user interface quirk regarding the headings. It seems that Konfabulator doesn't respect the
Code:
<option disabled>
attribute for a drop down control. So, I had to give the option some value and just made it -1 which results in just reverting back to the default feed of the overall 10 latest thread activity. This is something I'm working on a fix or workaround for.

Old 08-26-05, 11:01 PM   #34
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I'm glad you guys like it. In case you missed it, we also have a Firefox extension.
Which was not updated since then .. (see last post)

the widget is certainly a nice tool , though for me i've yet to see importance for it.
i'll continue messing with it for sometime or wait for some updates from you to make a final decision about it

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
Old 08-26-05, 11:28 PM   #35
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Which was not updated since then .. (see last post)

the widget is certainly a nice tool , though for me i've yet to see importance for it.
i'll continue messing with it for sometime or wait for some updates from you to make a final decision about it
yeah I know there hasn't seemed to be much more interest on the Firefox extension (and it's under the GPL so anyone is free to tweak it) though so I've let it be. I still use it all the time and it does what I need it to do.

Any widget's usefulness will be hit or miss with different people. I like it because I can quickly glance and see what is going on in the forums without actually having my browser opened to them.

I'm working on making a small "narrower" version of it right now.

Old 08-27-05, 09:20 AM   #36
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!

Clay, first of all, thanks for your work on the widget...

Second, thanks for bringing the Konfabulator back to my attention. I first tried it out about a year ago, I didn't see much use, but between the CPU/memory meters and the Quagmire widget, I am pleased with the utility. Giggity.

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
Closed Thread