Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-05, 09:29 PM   #13
ChrisRay

Default Re: Cancelled WOW....

All games are a time sink Tyr Sog. In the same way that watching a movie is. Its just whether you enjoy yourself playing them.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 09:50 PM   #14
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

I'm 30 years old, been playing video games since their main stream creation, not some kid who just discovered video games lol. All games arn't the time sink these games are. Theirs differences in sitting down and watching a movie a couple times of week then that in playing a game everynight and on the weekends. And even so, it's not healthy to stay home and just watch tv and listen to music every night. Yeah, you can limit that play but we all know that thats not going to happen with these mmos. They're designed for hours and hours of play at a single sitting. As you know just type /played, I dunno, something just doesn't sit right when you break down those days in to hours. Then thinking back about all those weekend nights/days I stayed in to get tio that next lvl or get that gear.

DOn't get me wrong, it was pretty tough to do, I had a ton of time sunk in to thoughs guys I deleted. btw, I'm not hear to change anyones mind, just here to share my opinion and to see if anyone has gone through the same issue.
Old 08-27-05, 10:26 PM   #15
gram_vaz
Cybersix

well i'm addicted and i admit it but i don't see anything bad with it. not like i have much of a life. my mom actually likes my mmo addiction because that insures i don't end up like my thuggish cousins roaming the streets all day.

currently i'm subscribed to city of heroes, WoW, ff11, phantasy star, and eve online. planning to add eq2 and neocron 2 to that list. that's not counting the free mmorpg games i play. i take turns playing the games each night.
gram_vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 10:40 PM   #16
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
I'm 30 years old, been playing video games since their main stream creation, not some kid who just discovered video games lol. All games arn't the time sink these games are. Theirs differences in sitting down and watching a movie a couple times of week then that in playing a game everynight and on the weekends. And even so, it's not healthy to stay home and just watch tv and listen to music every night. Yeah, you can limit that play but we all know that thats not going to happen with these mmos. They're designed for hours and hours of play at a single sitting. As you know just type /played, I dunno, something just doesn't sit right when you break down those days in to hours. Then thinking back about all those weekend nights/days I stayed in to get tio that next lvl or get that gear.

DOn't get me wrong, it was pretty tough to do, I had a ton of time sunk in to thoughs guys I deleted. btw, I'm not hear to change anyones mind, just here to share my opinion and to see if anyone has gone through the same issue.

Cant say I agree with you here. You can play these games casually at the rate you described which is comparable to your example. People can play RTS like warcraft 3 for hours and hours on end. Or they can play one game a night on battle.net. Its the competitive nature of the person playing which tends to cause more time dedicated to it. Any game can be be just as addicting if you take it seriously enough.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 10:58 PM   #17
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Is it so hard to balance game time and RL time? Self control man!!
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 12:40 AM   #18
Arioch

I also stopped playing WoW after leveling my second level 60th character and deciding the endgame grinding was not for me.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 03:45 AM   #19
Elderblaze

That's a different reason the Arioch, Tyr was still enjoying the game's, by the sound of it, alot. And i've definatly gone through what you have Tyr, the first couple of years playing EQ it was all i could think about at work, at school, I'd daydream about it, I havent been that way in years though, the whole newness to it and huge scope of the world was facinating, not everyone is drawn in to this degree but I sure was. Like I said before I still very much enjoy them, but when I goto work they are not on my mind, when I go out with friends im not thinking about them anymore, I can play a Match of CS:S and it's the last thing on my mind, I too gained weight, but i've even got that under control now, just eat different and run 8-10 miles a week. I guess somewhere along the line I just decided to take it easy, and enjoy these games at my own pace, I accepted the fact that I will never have the time of the kidos and i will never be "Elite" I am however, extremly skilled and crafty, I can say with no ego, I've pulled off some pretty amazing stunts in these games(for example I was soloing OOW Instances the first week of expansion, getting runes alone with my 66 magician) though skill and determination alone. I have the heart of a champion but the time of an average man. lol Ok now im taking this to far, **Steps off soap box**
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 06:25 AM   #20
Blacklash
8^9^3

Most of the people I have known that swear off MMO's like this usually go back or simply kill time in a different fashion. Usually they replace it with watching TV.

If you were out of control and playing too much I am glad you quit and hope you do stay away. I have rarely seen anything good come out of that level of addiction.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-05, 08:07 AM   #21
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
The game is full of stupid kids, reguardless of server. lol
Yeah but when you are in a guild that tackles BWL and MC you would expect to be away from stupid kids, not on Shadowsong though.
Old 08-28-05, 08:23 AM   #22
Arioch

I also work night shift so MC-type raids are not available to me and I rather not spend all my weekend playing the game anymore. At least I now have no more excuses to get back into the gym again.

I am sure ES:Oblivion will get me back into long gaming sessions though.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 12:22 PM   #23
awpti
Look, feet!

I went through about a 6 month long addiction phase with Anarchy Online/EVE Online. Didn't really have to much of an effect on my normal lifestyle, but I did notice how often I thought about playing.

Eventually, I decided to quit playing AO and passed my account onto a close friend. I still play EVE, but I only log in for 2-3 hours a week, at the very most.

I also recently started playing World of Warcraft.. sort of fun game, but the Trial leaves much to be desired.. no chat, nor trading doesn't make for a good demonstration. Not sure if I'll stick with it.

Only thing I'm really waiting for now is TES: Oblivion - should keep me busy for a long time.

Deleting was probably a bit overkill, but hey.. to each his own.
awpti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 02:17 PM   #24
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

Quote:
snapped each install disk

So what change did they make that you didnt agree with?

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote