Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-05, 08:35 AM   #13
gilboa
Linux addict...
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 540
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Ummm...
Does anyone have a reliable information source that claims that the 8x.xx drivers will enable SLI support?
Link? mail? Did anyone actually talk to nVidia reps?
__________________
DEV-NG: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F19/x86_64, Dell U2711.
DEV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 5x320GB, GTX550, F19/x86_64, Dell U2711 (^).
SRV: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 4x2TB, 9800GTX, F19/x86-64, Dell U2412.
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 09:24 AM   #14
Thunderbird
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,105
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Guys can't you read, netllama replied who works for nvidia ...
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 09:45 AM   #15
gilboa
Linux addict...
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 540
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

It's not "guys"... Just me :/

I stand corrected.
__________________
DEV-NG: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F19/x86_64, Dell U2711.
DEV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 5x320GB, GTX550, F19/x86_64, Dell U2711 (^).
SRV: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 4x2TB, 9800GTX, F19/x86-64, Dell U2412.
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 12:03 AM   #16
bkzshabbaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester/Brooklyn NY
Posts: 6
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Guys can't you read, netllama replied who works for nvidia ...
But he didnt say anything about SLI support, he just stated what the next driver release number is.
bkzshabbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 04:10 PM   #17
arokh
Registered User
 
arokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 287
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkzshabbaz
But he didnt say anything about SLI support, he just stated what the next driver release number is.
It's been stated elsewhere that 1.0-8xxx will have SLI support. Considering that nvidia releases drivers pretty often (monthly?) I'd expect a new driver release pretty soon. Or maybe not if they're planning big changes, who knows
__________________
Asus A8N32-SLI : AMD64 3700+ @ 2.85GHz : 2GB PC4000 OCZ Platinum EB : 2x 7800GT SLI
arokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 04:27 PM   #18
kmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: greece
Posts: 180
Send a message via ICQ to kmare
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

yeah.. I'd like to see support for the up coming Xorg 7.0, with features like EXA and better support for XRENDER, XComposite, etc.. maybe that would actually fix the freezes many users (like me) have right now.. we'll see..
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 05:17 AM   #19
arokh
Registered User
 
arokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 287
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmare
yeah.. I'd like to see support for the up coming Xorg 7.0, with features like EXA and better support for XRENDER, XComposite, etc.. maybe that would actually fix the freezes many users (like me) have right now.. we'll see..
http://dri.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html

Read and understand why it's not that easy. EXA is a replacement for XAA which nvidia moved away from a long time ago, they have their own thing now. What they could do is probably learn from EXA and further improve their own RENDER acceleration. Or maybe they should just throw it out and use EXA. At least it's not black and white, and you can't expect nvidia to keep up with all the API changes in X.
__________________
Asus A8N32-SLI : AMD64 3700+ @ 2.85GHz : 2GB PC4000 OCZ Platinum EB : 2x 7800GT SLI
arokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 02:11 PM   #20
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section
 
uOpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 609
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
At least it's not black and white, and you can't expect nvidia to keep up with all the API changes in X.
They wouldn't have to if they pushed back their binary core to an abstract layer and let OpenSourcers do the mappings to actual APIs.
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-05, 02:17 PM   #21
arokh
Registered User
 
arokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 287
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cracauer
They wouldn't have to if they pushed back their binary core to an abstract layer and let OpenSourcers do the mappings to actual APIs.
That's not gonna happen. And how could the open source community stabilize the driver when it can't even stabilize X? The X composite extension and RENDR have their own problems, fix those first.
__________________
Asus A8N32-SLI : AMD64 3700+ @ 2.85GHz : 2GB PC4000 OCZ Platinum EB : 2x 7800GT SLI
arokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 02:43 PM   #22
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section
 
uOpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 609
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
That's not gonna happen. And how could the open source community stabilize the driver when it can't even stabilize X? The X composite extension and RENDR have their own problems, fix those first.
Change brings instability.

But two new APIs for every functionality bring more instability. I think it would be better to hop on the wild ride.

But on a higher level, I still wish that NVidia would offer us additional "semi-performance" drivers with a higher abstracted binary core that would be used on Linux and FreeBSD and NetBSD, has no direct API connection and -lets say- drops 50% performance. My 6800 Ultra is more than twice as fast as I need things to be in Linux. If I want the last squeeze of performance I am playing games and I can boot in Windoze for that.
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 05:14 AM   #23
arokh
Registered User
 
arokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 287
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cracauer
Change brings instability.

But two new APIs for every functionality bring more instability. I think it would be better to hop on the wild ride.

But on a higher level, I still wish that NVidia would offer us additional "semi-performance" drivers with a higher abstracted binary core that would be used on Linux and FreeBSD and NetBSD, has no direct API connection and -lets say- drops 50% performance. My 6800 Ultra is more than twice as fast as I need things to be in Linux. If I want the last squeeze of performance I am playing games and I can boot in Windoze for that.
What you're suggesting makes no sense at all. Do you think lowering the performance will give them the possibility to create a "higher abstracted" binary core that'll work on those OS'es? You need to stop for a moment and think
__________________
Asus A8N32-SLI : AMD64 3700+ @ 2.85GHz : 2GB PC4000 OCZ Platinum EB : 2x 7800GT SLI
arokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 08:20 PM   #24
kmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: greece
Posts: 180
Send a message via ICQ to kmare
Default Re: SLI support in linux graphics drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
http://dri.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html

Read and understand why it's not that easy. EXA is a replacement for XAA which nvidia moved away from a long time ago, they have their own thing now. What they could do is probably learn from EXA and further improve their own RENDER acceleration. Or maybe they should just throw it out and use EXA. At least it's not black and white, and you can't expect nvidia to keep up with all the API changes in X.
EXA is a render method for accellerating the various drawing routines.. the old XAA architecture right now accellerates only unneeded privitives for modern desktops, so that's why it's so slow and why nvidia moved away from it. The good thing about exa is that you can add support for it to the current architecture and when you load the driver, you can select the one you like. eg: AccellMethod "nvidia" or AccellMethod "exa". Porting any driver to exa is also fairly easy, no matter what architecture you're already using.
And btw, an new extention to X doesn't mean a change to its API.
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts from console owners on NVIDIA's GEFORCE GRID MikeC Console World 11 05-27-12 09:43 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.