Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-05, 01:01 PM   #1
Shinkai

Default Color Profile in Linux

My lcd requires quite a bit of color adjustment and I would like to the use the color profile from winxp. In linux, I noticed there is no advance color adjustment mode, just brightness/contrast/gamma control. I can't achieve the same color adjustment result as I did in windows with nvidia control panel. Is there a way to export color settings from windows to linux?

here's a link of what color setting looks like in winxp. as you can see, i can't tell what brightness and gamma it's at due to advance mode.

here's a screenshot of linux control panel
Shinkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 01:16 PM   #2
Thetargos

Send a message via ICQ to Thetargos Send a message via AIM to Thetargos
Default Re: Color Profile in Linux

I've been using digital bivrance values of 10 or 15 (in LCDs and CRTs) in conjunction with brigtness, gamma and contrast controls, works very well for me, though it may not be what you're looking for.
Thetargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 02:41 PM   #3
Thunderbird

There's no way right now to export the settings to linux. On linux for adjusting brightness and gamma some standard X extensions are used. Not sure how this stuff works on windows, it might use some standard windows APIs for it. If that's the case there might be some tools that can show the right values.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 08:44 PM   #4
Shinkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
There's no way right now to export the settings to linux. On linux for adjusting brightness and gamma some standard X extensions are used. Not sure how this stuff works on windows, it might use some standard windows APIs for it. If that's the case there might be some tools that can show the right values.
i see. i wish color profile is universal. i also have a mac and osx's colorsync profiles aren't compatible with windows. its really annoying to have to spend time recalibrating for each os.
Shinkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 06:13 AM   #5
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkai
i see. i wish color profile is universal. i also have a mac and osx's colorsync profiles aren't compatible with windows. its really annoying to have to spend time recalibrating for each os.
In fact, you can't calibrate nor profile anything under linux, simply because there is no color management at all under X.

Sad, but at this time true.

If you need to do some serious color corrected work with complete consistency between what you scan, see on the monitor and print, you have no other choice but to stick to win or osx....
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 01:38 PM   #6
LaNcom

Well, it is possible to use per-application icc profiles (Gimp, Scribus, Cinepaint). Some info about Scribus' monitor profiling:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=moncal

And there is system-wide basic color correction on X:
http://www.froq.net/stuff/kgamma.png

Lightman, BTW: You'll never achieve complete consistency between display and print - it's impossible for various physical reasons... ;-)

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 02:32 PM   #7
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

as far as i know ICC is being worked on for Xorg.. see here:
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/xicc
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 06:00 AM   #8
lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNcom
Well, it is possible to use per-application icc profiles (Gimp, Scribus, Cinepaint). Some info about Scribus' monitor profiling:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=moncal
Placebos, almost

Quote:
And there is system-wide basic color correction on X:
http://www.froq.net/stuff/kgamma.png
Somewhat. Except that as long as you can't use an hardware colorimeter to correctly calibrate and profile your monitor, anything else is almost useless

Quote:
Lightman, BTW: You'll never achieve complete consistency between display and print - it's impossible for various physical reasons... ;-)
I can assure you you don't have to explain it to me. I constantly work with color corrected systems, and I do lots and lots of photographic work and prints, I know quite a lot about it

Whereas it's true that you can't have exactly the same image on screen and on print, due to the different gamuts of the two, and the fact that the first is an emitting medium and the later is a reflective one, it's true that for serious work you want to be as close as possible (physical difference taken into account) to a color consistent system (from input (camera and/or scanner), to display, to print) ...

Old 08-29-05, 06:02 AM   #9
lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmare
as far as i know ICC is being worked on for Xorg.. see here:
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/xicc
"Being worked on" is the key phrase here...

At this time, color correction under linux is almost nil (for any practical and serious purpose)...
Old 08-29-05, 11:23 AM   #10
LaNcom

Well, I think you should be aware that many high-end graphic packages are, in fact, available for Linux - including color grading systems. And a dedicated color grading system needs the best possible consistency I'd say - I would be really interested in the way they profile the monitors...?

Anyway, after some research, X11 supports color management since X11R5 (1991!), using Xcms, which is based on TekColor by Tektronix, Inc (a division of Xerox). And there are many ongoing projects to further improve color management support on Linux (OpenICC for example). The X-Rite DTP92 and Minolta CA-100 colorimeters work on Linux, but are only supported by OptiCal (Colorific) AFAIK. argyllcms also seems to supports a few colorimeters (CM2C), and there's interest to port the device drivers to lprof (LittleCMS profiler). The LittleCMS guys also work on drivers for the Spyder2...

BTW, here's a X-wide ICC loader:
http://www.etg.e-technik.uni-erlange...eb/doe/xcalib/

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 04:51 PM   #11
Lithorus

There is also monica :
http://www.pcbypaul.com/linux/monica.html
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 02:48 PM   #12
hvengel

An update for everyone here. ArgyllCMS 0.60 now has a gamma loader (dispwin) that works in Windows, Mac OS/X and for some X installations on Linux/Unix/BSD. This gamma loader will use the VCGT information from profiles to load the video card LUT(s). But one of the limitations for X is that it will not work with dual monitor setup using TwinView. Here is what the author of ArgyllCMS has to say about this:

"TwinView and MergeFB both have the facility to emulate Xinerama to provide the hints needed for applications to position windows intelligently, but both fail to implement the XFree86-VidModeExtension in a way that allows access to the Video LUTs of the underlying screens.

I will modify dispwin to avoid the X error that occurs when just scanning for the different screens, but I will simply be recommending that anyone who wants to have color calibrated displays on Linux/X11 not use TwinView or MergeFB."

Does anyone here know if nvidia will be fixing this problem with TwinView any time soon?
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote