Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-05, 01:20 AM   #49
aths
GeForce4 Ti 4600

Default Re: Shimmering Drivers: Preliminary Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestorn
The fact is, that it seems that the shimmering did nothing for the performance whatsoever. So there's simply not a single reason for nV to introduce it intentionally.

I agree that it's sloppy that they missed it. But I doubt very very much that they did this on purpose.
As a matter of fact, there is a small fps drop with the new driver. In the end, it does not matter if NV included that bug intentionally or if NV was only too careless to see the textue shimmering artifacts one should expect a better launch driver.
Old 08-31-05, 01:59 AM   #50
saweetnesstrev

I don't know about you but i have a FX 5700 ultra, eventhough no one said FX series has these problems, i have,, and boy i been complaing on the forums for months. :P I hope the problem is finally solved.
Old 08-31-05, 02:00 AM   #51
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aths
As a matter of fact, there is a small fps drop with the new driver. In the end, it does not matter if NV included that bug intentionally or if NV was only too careless to see the textue shimmering artifacts one should expect a better launch driver.
Well, one should expect a driver without any bugs, like profiles not working correctly, problems with certain games, control panel overlay setting bug etc.

But that's not going to happen, not in this life anyway. They're also humans only, and humans are known to make mistakes.

I agree however, that there are different levels of software quality. And nVidia's drivers are currently in a bad shape. There seems to be little quality control and especially the developers of the control panel and the Direct3D components seem to be quite sloppy.

There are so many very apparent bugs which should be caught by the developer right away, even without much extra testing. Some of those bugs look like the responsible developer just didn't care. Or how could you explain that the Direct3D driver doesn't even read most of the profile settings (check out the tool RegMon to see which registry keys the driver reads when starting a game), even though they're available in the control panel to the user? The corresponding registry entries are written correctly by the panel, never to be read again...

My confidence in nV's software development team is going downhill fast lately.

X6800 @ 3300 - Asus P5N32-SLI SE - 2x 8800 GTX SLI
Old 08-31-05, 02:04 AM   #52
saweetnesstrev

I like ATI's drivers much easier setup and look and control. Eventhough im a nvidia fanboy! im not trolling..
Old 08-31-05, 02:05 AM   #53
saweetnesstrev

OMFG the shimmering is gone! nice wow video,, omfg... thats almost a complete fix.
Old 08-31-05, 02:08 AM   #54
saweetnesstrev

Graestorn thanks for the link to nhancer beta,, i been using 1.1 and i love it.
Old 08-31-05, 02:35 AM   #55
particleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
The GF6 series didn't experience shimmering until some of the later drivers and they addressed that issue with the clamp fix. I can still go back and install the drivers that came with my eVGA 6800GT (61.34s) and there isn't any shimmering (what I'm running right now on my 6800U just to verify that). It even passed my toughest test case (MVP 2005 -- which, btw, still shimmers a little even on my ATI card even when the optimizations are turned off).

Also, the GF7 issue appears to be different since the clamp + HQ mode fix didn't seem to help with GF7s although it does with the GF6s.
Actually the 61.34s do have shimmering, it was worse on the early drivers when the 6800 was released than the shimmering is now on the 7800. The shimmering was very noticeable in UT2004 with the 61.34s.
Old 08-31-05, 02:41 AM   #56
particleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
The GF6 series didn't experience shimmering until some of the later drivers and they addressed that issue with the clamp fix. I can still go back and install the drivers that came with my eVGA 6800GT (61.34s) and there isn't any shimmering (what I'm running right now on my 6800U just to verify that). It even passed my toughest test case (MVP 2005 -- which, btw, still shimmers a little even on my ATI card even when the optimizations are turned off).

Also, the GF7 issue appears to be different since the clamp + HQ mode fix didn't seem to help with GF7s although it does with the GF6s.
Actually the 61.34s do have shimmering, the shimmering was worse on the early 6800 drivers than the shimmering is now on the 7800. The shimmering was very noticeable in UT2004 with the 61.34s.

Anyways, I hope nVidia fixes the shimmering on the Quality mode as well because in certain situations there can be a pretty significant performance hit using High Quality. I would either like to see the Quality mode fixed or be able to enable some optimizations in HQ. Here are my results from a timedemo on UT2004 ONS-Primeval Quality vs High Quality on a 7800 GTX.

1280x1024 4X AA 16X AF High Quality: 99.430864

1280x1024 4X AA 16X AF Quality: 139.988691

Quality was tested with (trilinear optimzation off, aniso filter optimization on, aniso sample optimization off). Quality mode needs to be fixed, on a 6800 on ONS-Primeval the framerates become unplayable, and on a 7800 GTX although the framerates are still good there is still a pretty significant performance hit.

Old 08-31-05, 03:33 AM   #57
ChrisRay

Quote:
Well, one should expect a driver without any bugs, like profiles not working correctly, problems with certain games, control panel overlay setting bug etc.
Speaking of Profiles Grestorm. You'll be happy to know these beta drivers fix the profile bug.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 08-31-05, 03:36 AM   #58
Demigod

Wrong thread somehow

Anyway thanks for the info

THough I did just run the WOW movies, my screen is @ 1600/1200 but the movie was played at 1:1 and I saw no reduction in the shimmering what so ever.
Old 08-31-05, 04:01 AM   #59
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman
Actually the 61.34s do have shimmering, the shimmering was worse on the early 6800 drivers than the shimmering is now on the 7800. The shimmering was very noticeable in UT2004 with the 61.34s.
You're right, UT2004 has it and after re-checking the games I had tested earlier, I found some there also. I think I missed it because it seems to occur further in the distance with the 61.34s (i.e. further ahead than I usually look). I'd consider the 61.34s to be better in regards to shimmering though, mainly b/c the shimmering seems to occur further away in some games (so it's harder to see). I say "some" games b/c UT2004 seems the same as what I see with the later drivers.

My apologies for the incorrect info. I should know better than to post on issues like this. It always comes back to haunt me.
Old 08-31-05, 05:51 AM   #60
Ice =A=

@acrh2:
Do you posses a GeForce 7800? That would explain why you defend it so rigorously and childish, insulting others and ignoring their arguments, event though theiy are the ones you should be grateful to (because they are the ones who made nVidia correct that bug in the upcoming driver revision 78.03)!
Closed Thread