Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-05, 08:56 AM   #109
Holy Smoke
Registered User
 
Holy Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 179
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
And don't let price fool you. While, in the real world, if you go to a place and get the most expensive item of an item type (say a steak from a restauarant for example), you can be about 99% positive you are getting the absolute best, because why else would it cost that much?

But for VALVe, that's not how things work.
Damn, is this thing still on? Give it up already. It's already been pointed out that the price differential between the CE and the Bronze version went to Vivendi, and not to Valve.

Capitalism simply works this way: Companies will always sell a product at the highest price the market will support.

Vivendi simply saw a "Collector's Editition" as a way to sell the same product at a higher price, with a few bundled extras (which obviously cost them less than 30 bucks, being the reason why they did it). If it hadn't increased their profits, they wouldn't have done it.

As far as Valve is concerned, you only paid them the exact amount they got in royalties for Vivendi's sale to you. And since the Silver package cost 60$ (no doubt a higher amount than Valve got from you) you are in no position to demand this of them.

Don't get me wrong, I detest a lot of things about Valve, but you're being completely unfair to them and their stockholders.
__________________
It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 09:53 AM   #110
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smoke
Damn, is this thing still on? Give it up already. It's already been pointed out that the price differential between the CE and the Bronze version went to Vivendi, and not to Valve.

Capitalism simply works this way: Companies will always sell a product at the highest price the market will support.

Vivendi simply saw a "Collector's Editition" as a way to sell the same product at a higher price, with a few bundled extras (which obviously cost them less than 30 bucks, being the reason why they did it). If it hadn't increased their profits, they wouldn't have done it.

As far as Valve is concerned, you only paid them the exact amount they got in royalties for Vivendi's sale to you. And since the Silver package cost 60$ (no doubt a higher amount than Valve got from you) you are in no position to demand this of them.

Don't get me wrong, I detest a lot of things about Valve, but you're being completely unfair to them and their stockholders.
Oh, I'm sorry. I got ripped off, but I'll stop being upset about wasting my money and I'll start feeling bad for multi-million dollar VALVe and their rich stockholders. Give me a ****ing break.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 10:49 AM   #111
Edge
3d animator for hire!
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smoke
As far as Valve is concerned, you only paid them the exact amount they got in royalties for Vivendi's sale to you. And since the Silver package cost 60$ (no doubt a higher amount than Valve got from you) you are in no position to demand this of them.
False, Half-life: Source was included with the Collector's Edition, and unless Valve found it in their hearts to give it to Vivendi for free, they got extra royalties from it.

And for the last time, the REAL reason Valve is greedy is because they don't even offer Bronze and Retail owners the ability to UPGRADE to the Silver account. They knew that most people would get the retail either because they wouldn't be able to download the entire game or would recieve the game as a gift (or bought the "collector's edition" because it was supposed to be the definitive HL2 pack...so much for that), so they've decided to milk those customers for all they can. Like I said before, the retail and bronze packages seem to just be bait to lure customers in to buying more stuff...reminds me of the Xbox 360 Core, in fact.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 01:04 PM   #112
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun
 
Nutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,835
Send a message via MSN to Nutty
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I got ripped off, but I'll stop being upset about wasting my money and I'll start feeling bad for multi-million dollar VALVe and their rich stockholders. Give me a ****ing break.
Yeah but 8 pages in, and you're still going on about it.. I mean give us a ****ing break eh ? Moaning on here until the server runs out of space isn't gonna change anything.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 01:27 PM   #113
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
Yeah but 8 pages in, and you're still going on about it.. I mean give us a ****ing break eh ? Moaning on here until the server runs out of space isn't gonna change anything.
Maybe not, but it makes me feel better.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 02:46 PM   #114
Holy Smoke
Registered User
 
Holy Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 179
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Oh, I'm sorry. I got ripped off, but I'll stop being upset about wasting my money and I'll start feeling bad for multi-million dollar VALVe and their rich stockholders. Give me a ****ing break.
No, Vivendi ripped you off. They're the ones you paid 30$ extra for a t-shirt and a booklet. Not Valve, who only got royalties.

If you get a raw deal, you take it up with those who gave it to you.
__________________
It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 03:01 PM   #115
Holy Smoke
Registered User
 
Holy Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 179
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
And for the last time, the REAL reason Valve is greedy is because they don't even offer Bronze and Retail owners the ability to UPGRADE to the Silver account.
And that's the whole point. They can be as greedy as they want to, but that doesn't mean they're cheating their customers. Far from it, they're doing exactly what any company does in a market driven society, which is to sell their product at as high a price as they can while keeping it low enough to drive sales. They have just as much responsibility to their stockholders as they do to their customers, and whining about not getting something you didn't buy in the first place doesn't change that.

They do not only have full legal right to do this, but full moral right as well.
__________________
It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 05:58 PM   #116
ST:DS9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 274
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
False, Half-life: Source was included with the Collector's Edition, and unless Valve found it in their hearts to give it to Vivendi for free, they got extra royalties from it.

And for the last time, the REAL reason Valve is greedy is because they don't even offer Bronze and Retail owners the ability to UPGRADE to the Silver account. They knew that most people would get the retail either because they wouldn't be able to download the entire game or would recieve the game as a gift (or bought the "collector's edition" because it was supposed to be the definitive HL2 pack...so much for that), so they've decided to milk those customers for all they can. Like I said before, the retail and bronze packages seem to just be bait to lure customers in to buying more stuff...reminds me of the Xbox 360 Core, in fact.
If someone bought Bronze expecting to get DOD:S for free later on, then they are a freakin moron. All 3 packages showed exactly what was going to be included, and DOD:S was only on the Silver and Gold. If someone bought bronze, its probably because they didn't want DOD:S or the back catalog.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-05, 07:01 PM   #117
Mudcrutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 294
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

OMG i got silver and i didnt get a t-shirt!!?!??!?! valve shouldve included all the CE stuff to ME because they are rich and THEY OWE ME BECAUSE i BOUGHT something from them.... omg valve is greedy give me my CE stuff !!! i bought silver WHY CANT I HAVE IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

-------------------------------

^^ this is what you whiners sound like...
Mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 07:48 PM   #118
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smoke
No, Vivendi ripped you off. They're the ones you paid 30$ extra for a t-shirt and a booklet. Not Valve, who only got royalties.

If you get a raw deal, you take it up with those who gave it to you.
And VALVe (the people MAKING THE GAME and CONTROLLING STEAM) are doing nothing to right the wrongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcrutch
OMG i got silver and i didnt get a t-shirt!!?!??!?! valve shouldve included all the CE stuff to ME because they are rich and THEY OWE ME BECAUSE i BOUGHT something from them.... omg valve is greedy give me my CE stuff !!! i bought silver WHY CANT I HAVE IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

-------------------------------

^^ this is what you whiners sound like...
Really? Because last time I checked Sliver was $60 and the CE was $80. Now, that's $20 MORE than Silver and $10 less than gold.

So we should have at least as much as Silver, but not the "collector's box" or hat or whatever the lame **** from Gold was.

But whatever. It's not worth arguing about. You'd think that the fans would be more on the side of each other and upset with VALVe, a company who has consistently let it's customers, stockholders and business partners down, but man, those fanb0is really hold on. Kudos to you guys. I'm through posting about it, because apart from like 3 people, it doesn't matter. I hope you all who have consistently told me to stop whining or whatever experience the same thing in the future and get the same reactions. Maybe then you'll know how it feels to be ripped off, especially by people that you really had interest in and cared about.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 07:58 PM   #119
anzak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,553
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
And VALVe (the people MAKING THE GAME and CONTROLLING STEAM) are doing nothing to right the wrongs.
It doesn't make sense for Valve to fix the mistakes of other companies.

I could understand if you were promised something and didn't get it, but the contents of each package was clearly stated. Valve said that you will only get DoD: Source by ordering over steam, its the only reason I ordered it via steam.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 08:23 PM   #120
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
It doesn't make sense for Valve to fix the mistakes of other companies.
So VALVe created and designed the Steam version of HL2 and the retail version of the EXACT SAME GAME was created by Vivendi? See, I was under the impression that a publisher does that: publish. Not create. VALVe owns the games they created.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Updates Released News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 10:50 PM
E3 round-up: day three News Archived News Items 0 06-07-12 07:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.