Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-05, 08:31 PM   #121
anzak

Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
So VALVe created and designed the Steam version of HL2 and the retail version of the EXACT SAME GAME was created by Vivendi? See, I was under the impression that a publisher does that: publish. Not create. VALVe owns the games they created.
Vevendi chose what was going to be included in the retail packages. There is no reason for Valve to give the owners of retail versions of the game something that they were not promised or didn't pay for.

As I said above, valve only promised DoD: Source to people who bought the game over steam. You should have kept that in mind before buying the CE.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 08:35 PM   #122
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
Vevendi chose what was going to be included in the retail packages. There is no reason for Valve to give the owners of retail versions of the game something that they were not promised or didn't pay for.

As I said above, valve only promised DoD: Source to people who bought the game over steam. You should have kept that in mind before buying the CE.
And as I said above: I hope you and everyone else that has said similar things gets ripped off in the future and gets sh!t on as a response to it.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 08:44 PM   #123
ST:DS9

Quote:
And as I said above: I hope you and everyone else that has said similar things gets ripped off in the future and gets sh!t on as a response to it.
Actaully, as long as other companies give out the same kind of information about what was going to be included with each package like Valve did, then that will not happen to me. The information was there, it is the fault of the customer if they expected something that was never promised.

What I want to know is, if you people thought you were gettting something equivalant to Gold, then why haven't we seen you guys complain about not getting the same exact merchandise and Back catalog as the Gold buyers with in the last 10 months? Why are you just now complaining?
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 08:56 PM   #124
Holy Smoke

Quote:
And VALVe (the people MAKING THE GAME and CONTROLLING STEAM) are doing nothing to right the wrongs.
DoD:S is a seperate product. A product that you didn't pay for.

HL2+CS:S is one product. DoD:S is another product.

Valve decided to allow it's customers to buy both products at the same time at a set price. Vivendi didn't. You bought Vivendi's product with the perks included with that product, while we bought Valve's product with the perks included with that.

You have no greater claim to DoD:S than we have to Vivendi's t-shirt. Why? Because we haven't paid for them.

DoD:S was never meant to be included for free as CS:S was HL2's multiplayer portion. DoD:S is a seperate product that we paid for when we made our deal with Valve.

For the record:
Quote:
The Half-Life 2 product will include Counter-Strike: Source. VU Games will also release a Half Life 2 Collector's Edition that will include Half-Life 2 in DVD-ROM format, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, a free limited edition t-shirt, and a Half-Life 2 Prima strategy guide book.
http://www.steampowered.com/index.ph...ive=yes&id=333
Old 09-15-05, 09:06 PM   #125
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Actaully, as long as other companies give out the same kind of information about what was going to be included with each package like Valve did, then that will not happen to me. The information was there, it is the fault of the customer if they expected something that was never promised.

What I want to know is, if you people thought you were gettting something equivalant to Gold, then why haven't we seen you guys complain about not getting the same exact merchandise and Back catalog as the Gold buyers with in the last 10 months? Why are you just now complaining?
I've been complaining since I got the package and saw what a POS it was back in November.
Old 09-16-05, 12:01 AM   #126
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Jesus christ, does anyone actually READ my posts? I DON'T F***ING WANT DoD:S FOR FREE! I want to be able to UPGRADE my bronze-equivalent to silver for the difference in price THE SAME WAY ATI COUPON OWNERS COULD! Whenever the issue was brought up, everyone expected that you'd be able to upgrade to a higher package at the very least by DoD:S's release (and even in this thread, SEVERAL people thought that packages could be upgraded), and in the Steam games menu it even says "At present, only one HL2 offer may be purchased per Steam account". If they NEVER planned on offering this feature, why do they even say "at present"? The only reason they wouldn't offer the ability to upgrade offers is because they're greedy, self-centered bastards who screw over customers, not to mention other companies, to make more money. Period.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 12:35 AM   #127
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Jesus christ, does anyone actually READ my posts? I DON'T F***ING WANT DoD:S FOR FREE! I want to be able to UPGRADE my bronze-equivalent to silver for the difference in price THE SAME WAY ATI COUPON OWNERS COULD!
Calm down. We were replying to superklye, not you. I agree though, they should offer an upgrade program.

What valve really wanted was for everyone to buy it over steam. So they put DoD: Source as an added bonus in with the steam packages thinking that would turn people away from the retail packages.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 12:36 AM   #128
superklye

Quote:
Calm down. We were replying to superklye, not you. I agree though, they should offer an upgrade program.

What valve really wanted was for everyone to buy it over steam. So they put DoD: Source as an added bonus in with the steam packages thinking that would turn people away from the retail packages.
I don't want DoD:S either...I think I have a right to have it, paying as much as I did.

I just want my $20 back that is the difference between Silver and the CE. The CE was ridiculously overpriced at $80 and I don't care who is to blame. Either give me everything in Silver or give me back my money.

Old 09-16-05, 08:12 AM   #129
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

If the CE was overpriced, then why did you buy it ?

You cant compare the prices Valve offers over steam, to what Vivendi used in the retail package. Its 2 different companies with vastly different costs involved.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 09:59 AM   #130
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
If the CE was overpriced, then why did you buy it ?

You cant compare the prices Valve offers over steam, to what Vivendi used in the retail package. Its 2 different companies with vastly different costs involved.
Honestly, I bought it because I was in Best Buy like 11/13 or something like that and the game was out on shelves early. I saw that it game with a DVD and the box made it seem like the entire strategy guide and/or "Raising the Bar" was inside, plus it was on DVD rather than CD and sharing an internet connection at home with 8 people meant downloading however many gigs over Steam was somewhat out of the question (it would've taken weeks). Plus, I had a reward zone coupon to get double points on my whole order, so me and three other guys I was with all picked up the CE, put them on one bill and used that coupon (so I got, when all was said and done, almost $700 worth of points because with everything that was bought, the bill was like $350).

I was so excited about it being out early I had to get it. As soon as i opened it though, i was not happy.
Old 09-16-05, 11:48 AM   #131
Rakeesh

Quote:
The problem is valve didn't make that obvious. If they had, I think less people would have bought the collectors edition than actually did. I mean think about it, when you label something as a collectors edition and bundle all kinds of stuff with it, that kind of implies to the customer that they are buying an upper tier package that would have extra perks to go with it.

Valve wants to screw them over a little technicality? Fine, fair enough, but I think they lost a lot of customers over it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 12:25 PM   #132
ST:DS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
The problem is valve didn't make that obvious. If they had, I think less people would have bought the collectors edition than actually did. I mean think about it, when you label something as a collectors edition and bundle all kinds of stuff with it, that kind of implies to the customer that they are buying an upper tier package that would have extra perks to go with it.

Valve wants to screw them over a little technicality? Fine, fair enough, but I think they lost a lot of customers over it.
Hmm, There were 3 Steam packages, and only 2 had DOD:S, included. There were Press releases from Valve about what was going to be in the Steam packages, and in the retail packages. The box did not say that DOD:S would be included with retail. Back catalog wasn't even on the box, nor were the merchandise the same between the Gold and the CE. How much more obvious can it get? The differences stuck out like a sore thumb. Truth is, this is all the customers fault for assuming something they should have never assumed, there was no documation that would lead people to believe they would get it with retail, but there was plenty of documentation about what packages would include DOD:S. Heck I didn't even follow HL2 development, and when someone one on a forum said that Valve annouced the Steam packages and the retail packages, I read those announcements and knew right away that DOD:S and back catalog did not come with retail packages. For the fact that back catalog did not come with retail, nor was it on the box, should have been the dead give away that the retail is not the same as the Steam download. Its not the fault of Valve or Vivendi that customers did not do any kind of research and bought blindly. The information was there, you just chose not to listen, find out, or just assumed anyways.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote