Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-05, 11:09 AM   #157
|MaguS|

Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Found this on bit-tech...

Quote:
And will HDR be retrofitted to the full Half Life 2 game? IGN quotes a Valve rep cornered at E3 who said that "HDR would be partially implemented in HL2 in a future patch" but completely recoding the lighting was off the cards, for two reasons: the required download would total approx 5GB (!), and also that Valve feel that certain sections of the game play better with standard rendering.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/...verview/4.html
Old 09-17-05, 11:22 AM   #158
Mudcrutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
It shows off the maps which have been completed for a long time. If you have ever played DoD then you would know those are a massive improvement.

I read that Half Life 2 wasn't getting HDR. Just all future products from Valve like DoD: Source would.
yes, i have been playing DOD for years, and in my opinion the new versions dont look THAT great. i am hoping they are MORE "redone" for the upcoming release.

Mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 11:52 AM   #159
anzak

The maps are "redone". They look 1000% better. Just take a look at this Avalanche shot.

anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 12:46 PM   #160
jolle

its better, ill give you that..
but it still looks old.. quake3ish.. If its fun, I wont complain, but its not really standing out in the graphics department.. then again Source isnt exactly known for its renderer.
Old 09-17-05, 01:18 PM   #161
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
its better, ill give you that..
Better? You obviously haven't played DoD. The difference is incredible.

Quote:
but it still looks old.. quake3ish.. If its fun, I wont complain, but its not really standing out in the graphics department.. then again Source isnt exactly known for its renderer.
How does it look like quake 3? It looks absolutely nothing like quake.

I don't see how it could look much better without changing the structure of the level. The textures and lighting are top notch.
Old 09-17-05, 06:47 PM   #162
jolle

With Quake3ish I was more refering to Call of Duty:UO and the Q3 engine based games, WWII ones in perticular.. (perhaps Quake3 engineish would have been a better choice of words hehe)
Well I guess it should be on par with CS:S, some shaders added here and there and it could be nice enough..
I didnt play alot of DoD, but I think the difference between CS and CS:S is bigger then between DoD and DoD:S, since Dod had (in my vague recollection) more detailed maps then CS did, generally.. maybe I remember wrong..
Old 09-17-05, 06:55 PM   #163
anzak

Quote:
Call of Duty:UO and the Q3 engine based games, WWII ones in perticular.. (perhaps Quake3 engineish would have been a better choice of words hehe)
CoD and CoD:UO uses a VERY heavily modified version of the Q3 engine. Originally the Quake 3 engine didn't even support shaders.

I guess its because I played so much DoD that I can very easily pick out the differences.
Old 09-17-05, 07:20 PM   #164
Holy Smoke

I've always thought DoD:S looks pretty unimpressive. The HDR shot on page 1 is the only shot I've seen of it that looks good. The rest are fairly bland. Sure, it's got higher poly counts and texture resolutions, but I wouldn't call them "high".

Old 09-17-05, 07:27 PM   #165
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
CoD and CoD:UO uses a VERY heavily modified version of the Q3 engine. Originally the Quake 3 engine didn't even support shaders.

I guess its because I played so much DoD that I can very easily pick out the differences.

Well there arent any apparant shaders on that screenshot either..
There may be that specularity type shader on rooftop panels, and stuff like that, but it looks so.. you know.. oldschool..
textures on polygons age.. flat might be the word Im looking for..
Getting a bit spoiled perhaps, with all the normal &or bumpmapping we are starting to se all over things.. (ex the wall on the right could have been given a good illusion of detail with a normal map)
But yeah, compared to the old DOD its prolly a real treat.

I sort of remember how you feel from when we CS players got CS:S, we both played these games (Dod/CS) and it wasnt for the graphics, and then we get these facelifts for "free" and feel pretty happy about that, and they are SIGNIFICANT steps up, but compared to modern graphics today (Which is what Im doing), its not that impressive as it is compared to the original game/mod... (which is what you are doing)
Old 09-17-05, 07:49 PM   #166
anzak

I guess I'm just a sucker for nice looking textures. Doom 3 looked amazing and all, but the many of the textures looked too blurry for my liking. I wish the whole game had the quality of textures hell did.

The screenshot I posted are months old and from the beta so there is a chance they have been improved apon since then.
Old 09-17-05, 09:13 PM   #167
Holy Smoke

I just reinstalled the original DoD off Steam, and momma mia, I'd forgotten how much fun it is.
Old 09-20-05, 10:06 AM   #168
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I never even played DoD.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote