Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-05, 10:22 PM   #73
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
I agree the CE package sucks, but you knew what was in it before you bought it. Valve said that the retail packages were = bronze which does not include DoD:Source.
Well that can't be, since Half-life: Source is NOT included with the bronze, and yet is part of both the CE AND the recently released GOTY edition. But anyway, since us retail owners have a Bronze subscriptions, can you please tell us how we can upgrade it to the Silver or Gold like ATI coupon owners could (who were ALSO given a "bronze equivalent" package)?

Quote:
Also, DoD is not longer a user made mod, don't think of it as one. Just like CS:Source, you gotta pay for it.
Yeah, just like CS:Source, we paid for it when we bought Half-life 2, right? Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat were given to Half-life owners for free even though they had retail releases, just like Counter-Strike: Source was...so why is Day of Defeat: Source any different? Why are they releasing a retail package that includes Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat when everyone that owns HL2 already has Counter-Strike: Source? Obviously that package CAN'T be for people that already have Half-life 2, or else there wouldn't be a point to including CS:S with it.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 10:37 PM   #74
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

CE=Challenged Edition because thats what Valve think all who bought the CE. I paid $86 for a pretty box, no manual and a t-shirt that cant even fit my little sister.

I really feel I was ripped off twice. The first time being when I had to download more files for an hour instead few seconds or minutes you would think it will take to set up steam being that you have the DVD. The second is when I found out after paying $86 that I dont get DOD or any of the other extras. I didnt even think twice that we wouldnt get them. Whats sad is that I want DOD so bad that I will be giveing them another $20.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 10:55 PM   #75
Rakeesh

That kinda sucks, paying nearly twice as much as the silver users and not even getting all of the same stuff.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 11:43 PM   #76
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

My god some of you guys whine, you just keep wanting more, there was no dod:s on the retail box so why the hell should they give it to you? If I had of bought the retail package I would have found it pleasant that Valve are giving hl2dm and lost coast as a bonus.
Old 09-10-05, 12:27 AM   #77
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah, we would like more, when the original multiplayer for the game was pretty abysmal. Then they DO make a better multiplayer mode, but they give it to SOME customers, and then exclude others who paid MORE for the game...doesn't that sound a little odd? If Valve had, say, given Half-life: Source to retail owners of the game for free, but not to people who bought the game over Steam and instead required them to buy the Aftermath expansion to get it, don't you think Steam owners would have a right to complain? Sure, Steam owners wouldn't have been promised the game in the first place if that's the case and shouldn't have expected it when they bought the game, but that hardly means they wouldn't have a reason to be annoyed.

At least in the first game, Valve seemed more than happy to fix the game's weak multiplayer by making all the official mods free to anyone that bought the game (TFC was released in a matter of months, and CS and DoD were later picked up and given professional development). So I guess it's our fault for trusting Valve. We'll have to make sure we don't make that mistake again.
Old 09-10-05, 03:49 AM   #78
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
My god some of you guys whine, you just keep wanting more, there was no dod:s on the retail box so why the hell should they give it to you? If I had of bought the retail package I would have found it pleasant that Valve are giving hl2dm and lost coast as a bonus.
Great, then buy the retail package and find it pleasant.

I don't see how getting one extra game and a ****ty t-shirt over the bronze package, for $10 less than the Gold package and being pissed off that we aren't getting at least what the Silver package ($20 less than the CE) is getting is "wanting more."

You have to have everything before you can want more. I want to be at the point that I'm bitching because VALVe is giving me too much, instead of massaging my ass which they keep raping over and over again.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 05:47 AM   #79
ST:DS9

You are mad at Valve, for what Vivendi decided to do with the Retail packages.
Vivendi set the price of the retail.
Vivendi bought the rights of what was going to be released in retail (HL2, HL:S, CS:S). They may had no legal rights to distribute DOD:S, since DOD was an Activision game.
Vivendi determined what was the extras in the CE, and Collectors always cost more because of those things.

Heres look at this, what was advertised and the price at the time of release.

Retail- $55
HL2
HL:S
CS:S

Retail CE: $80
HL2
Bunch of extra merchandise.

Bronze- $50
HL2

Silver- $60
HL2
DOD:S
back catalog

Gold-$85
HL2
DOD:S
back catalog
Bunch of extra merchandise.

See a pattern.

Retail is actually between the Bronze and Silver (bronze doesn't have HL:S). The retail cost $5 less then the Silver. For $5 more you could have gotten the back catalog and DOD:S. For $5 more then Bronze, the retail got HL:S.

Retail CE, is just Retail with added merchandise, just like how Gold is just Silver with added merchandise.

Silver and Gold paid the higher price over Retail and CE for the back catalog and DOD:S. How would you like it if you bought CE that came with all those extras, just to find out that the Retail Vanilla is getting that same stuff for free.

HL2M and Lost coast are extras that Valve made to give away for free to all owners of HL2. DOD:S is created as an actuall product to be sold. The reason that DOD and CS were free, was because they were free before they were bought by Valve and given to a publisher to publish. The publishers were nice enough to keep it free, not like they could have stopped it anyway since it was already free to begin with. But CS:S and DOD:S are not user made mods that were bought by Valve, they are remakes.

The real issue here is this. People assumed that DOD:S was going to be free, they didn't do any kind of research to realize that DOD:S was only included with Silver and Gold packages. Valve or anybody else did not keep that a secret, it was well known before HL2 was released. Never expect anything beyond what is advertised, if you end up getting more then that is good, but don't expect it and get mad when it doesn't happen. The only people at fault here are teh ones who bought retail expecting to get something else for free that wasn't advertised as such. Take this as a learning experience. Valve nor Vivendi did anything wrong with the packages.

If they give CE owners DOD:S for free because they paid a higher price for CE, then what are they going to give the Gold people then, they paid a higher price also? Now what did the Gold and the CE owners pay the higher price over the Retail or the Silver package for? Oh thats right, they bought the extra merchandise.

So what you guys are really asking for is that all retail packages get DOD:S for free, since CE is only Vanilla with the extras, just like Gold is Silver with the extras.

Also, there could be contract deals that was preventing retail owners from having a copy of DOD:S, since Activision bought the rights to DOD, they may have the rights to DOD:S under that same contract, and Valve may not have been allowed to distrubute that freely with out being in breech of contract. Even if that contract was changed over to EA (not sure if EA has the rights to DOD/DOD:S), Valve would stil be obligated to the Silver and the Gold customers sicne they paid the higher price over Vanilla and CE for DOD:S and the back catalog.

Just reinterate, DOD:S was created to be sold, not given away. DOD:S is sold in the gold and silver packages, but was not sold in the retail packages. My guess is that some years later, when they are no longer under a contract, or if the contract changes, they will give it out for free like they did with Blue Shift. Blue shift is the first product of Valve that was made to be sold, that was given away for free to all HL1 owners and above (thats if it is true what Alpha Wolf said, even though the news release said that it was for Gold, Silver, and premier pack.)

In short, these people have no right be whining about this. The information was and is available about DOD:S only being part of the Gold and Silver packages. Since DOD:S was not listed on the box, then they can't get mad if they don't get it. Anything they get for free later on is only a bonus, and should not be expected.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 06:28 AM   #80
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Great, then buy the retail package and find it pleasant.

I don't see how getting one extra game and a ****ty t-shirt over the bronze package, for $10 less than the Gold package and being pissed off that we aren't getting at least what the Silver package ($20 less than the CE) is getting is "wanting more."

You have to have everything before you can want more. I want to be at the point that I'm bitching because VALVe is giving me too much, instead of massaging my ass which they keep raping over and over again.
Why would I buy the package when it is clearly inferior? Are you mad just because you didn't think ahead and buy through steam for dod:s, or were you just unable to buy it due to technical problems, please don't give me the I want the box and manual crap
As said by the above post Vivendi produced the retail packages so if you want to be stupid and "blame" someone for something you bought and expected more then please blame vivendi.

Old 09-10-05, 06:45 AM   #81
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
So what you guys are really asking for is that all retail packages get DOD:S for free, since CE is only Vanilla with the extras, just like Gold is Silver with the extras.
No, we aren't saying the regular or GOTY edition retail packages get DOD, we're saying the CE should get it since that's the only retail package that cost MORE than the Silver package (which DOES get DoD:S). The CE was not "Vanilla with extras", HL:S was pretty much the biggest part of the package (really now, the preview book and T-shirt are things you'd expect to get for preorder bonuses more than anything). And since the only OTHER way to get HL:S was through the Silver/Gold (your list in incorrect, HL:S was NOT included with the regular retail package), it would've made sense that DoD:S which is included in the silver and gold would be given to CE owners as well, given the price.

And another bit of incorrect information in your post: Blue Shift was not made to be sold. It was an additional episode that was supposed to only be included with the Dreamcast version of the game. After the Dreamcast version was canceled, they took the models and episode they made for it, bundled it with the previously released Opposing Force, and sold it as a stand-alone produce. They NEVER intended for it to be sold seperately originally, it was just supposed to be a bonus for DC owners. But now, ANYONE who owns Half-life has full access to Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and every other offically released product. In fact, you don't even need a Half-life key to get access to the Half-life games: if you have a single key from Blue Shift, Opposing Force, hell even CS retail, that key will unlock ALL HL1-based games, mods, and expansion packs.

And anyway, the point is still completely flying over your head. Even if we DO want to upgrade our "vanilla" HL2 retail packages to something better, WE CAN'T. Why the hell doesn't Valve include a simple "upgrade to Silver" button for all those people that got the retail? Then when we have silver accounts, any problems that people had with . Lets see...retail cost $55 ($80 for the CE, but lets just go by your original assumption that the only thing you got for the extra price was the T-shirt and sampler book), Silver cost $60...so why not let retail owners go to Silver for $5? Oh, that's right, it's because Valve are greedy bastards and decide that it would be a better idea to try and milk retail owners out of ANOTHER $20 instead of giving them the benefits of a better package at a lower price. In fact, if you wanted CS:CZ, DoD:S, and the original HL1 games, and bought a retail HL2 pack, it would cost you a total of $110 to get access to the SAME games that the Silver does for $60. Reminds me of the pricing scheme for the Xbox 360..."hey, did you buy the Core pack and want to upgrade to the Premium? Good news, you can upgrade your $300 package to the $400 one for only $260 more, isn't that a GREAT deal!".

Simple question that I'd love for you to answer: whey the hell were ATI coupon owners given the option of upgrading to a higher pack when retail and Bronze owners weren't?

Quote:
Why would I buy the package when it is clearly inferior? Are you mad just because you didn't think ahead and buy through steam for dod:s, or were you just unable to buy it due to technical problems, please don't give me the I want the box and manual crap
I had to get a retail package because at the time, I was on dial-up, and there was no way in hell I was going to download 2+ gigs of data on that connection when I could've gotten the game from the store for only a little higher price (though I foolishly turned down a nice person on this forum who offered to burn the files onto a disc for me, but I thought that I could just get the retail package and not have to worry about gettings screwed over by Valve...big mistake). Of course, then they decided that they needed to punish people who bought it retail and not even give them the option of upgrading to a better package. And obviously we didn't buy the retail package for the box and manual, since it didn't come with a manual.
Old 09-10-05, 12:30 PM   #82
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
As said by the above post Vivendi produced the retail packages so if you want to be stupid and "blame" someone for something you bought and expected more then please blame vivendi.
And who controls steam? Does not every person that has HL2 have Steam, regardless of whether they bought retail or one of the packages? What is stopping VALVe from giving it to CE owners? Obviously, our keys are unique because they allowed us to get HL:S, but not the other retail packages. They know who has the CE.

The only thing stopping them is their own greed and selfishness.

And you know what? I will complain about this until I die, just to spite you.

EDIT: And gosh, wow. Lost Coast and HL2DM aren't on ANY of those lists, which is why we had to pay to get them. Oh, wait. THEY WERE FREE.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 02:06 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
And who controls steam? Does not every person that has HL2 have Steam, regardless of whether they bought retail or one of the packages? What is stopping VALVe from giving it to CE owners? Obviously, our keys are unique because they allowed us to get HL:S, but not the other retail packages. They know who has the CE.

The only thing stopping them is their own greed and selfishness.

And you know what? I will complain about this until I die, just to spite you.

EDIT: And gosh, wow. Lost Coast and HL2DM aren't on ANY of those lists, which is why we had to pay to get them. Oh, wait. THEY WERE FREE.
Like I said, if it is not listed on the box, then don't expect to get it for free anyways. If you get something for free later on, then that is great and is a just a bonus. Point is, don't expect it if there is no information saying that you are going to get it.

Oh, and what could be stopping them, well contract deals could be stopping them.
Old 09-10-05, 02:15 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

Simple question that I'd love for you to answer: whey the hell were ATI coupon owners given the option of upgrading to a higher pack when retail and Bronze owners weren't?
That seems like a pretty common practice in buisness, I know I have seen that several times in several different industries. It is always cheaper to go for the full package deal, rather then buying seperate pieces at a time. Kind of like fast food restaraunts with Meal deals .

Hmm, I could have sworn that the person I work with said he bought the Vanilla retail and it came with HL:S. I'll have to ask him again.