Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-05, 02:29 PM   #85
Mudcrutch

Default Re: Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

ST: DS9 -- you make the most sense in this thread.
Mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 03:12 PM   #86
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Like I said, if it is not listed on the box, then don't expect to get it for free anyways. If you get something for free later on, then that is great and is a just a bonus. Point is, don't expect it if there is no information saying that you are going to get it.

Oh, and what could be stopping them, well contract deals could be stopping them.
Yeah, that must be it. Because giving a game away for free for retail purchasers, which, as we have all said numerous, part of the profit goes to Vivendi, would be terrible. I mean, gosh. Convincing people to spend an extra $30 on a game because they get DoD:S for free, thus giving Vivendi more profit would probably result in VALVe getting sued.

If they give retail people more stuff, Vivendi isn't going to care. It means that people have more incentive to buy retail. If what your'e saying is true, we wouldn't have Lost Coast or HL2DM for free, would we?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 03:26 AM   #87
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Oh, and what could be stopping them, well contract deals could be stopping them.
There are none, zero, zilch. Part of the settlement between valve and vivendi was that all obligations that they had to one another were to be completely nullified. That means neither of them have anything at all to do with one another anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
In fact, if you wanted CS:CZ, DoD:S, and the original HL1 games, and bought a retail HL2 pack, it would cost you a total of $110 to get access to the SAME games that the Silver does for $60.
Well, you don't get HL:S (then again, it isn't really worth having anyways.)

Hmm...I just thought of something. As a regular retail owner, if I were to pay the $20 for DoD:S, I would still have paid less than the CE users, and effectively gotten more. (Well, except the shirt, which I am not particularly interested in. I wouldn't count the DVD at all since I have only touched the CDs once myself simply because steam required it the first time I entered in the cdkey. Every time I have formatted since then, I have just let HL2 install itself via steam without even touching the CD's.)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 07:46 AM   #88
faraday

WHEN WILL YOU GET IT TROUGH YOUR HEADS? RETAIL IS NOT VALVE!

It's like buying a vga from powercolor and a similar one from gigabyte or whatever and bitching that one has more extras than the other despite being cheaper.
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 07:48 AM   #89
faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Hmm...I just thought of something. As a regular retail owner, if I were to pay the $20 for DoD:S, I would still have paid less than the CE users, and effectively gotten more. (Well, except the shirt, which I am not particularly interested in. I wouldn't count the DVD at all since I have only touched the CDs once myself simply because steam required it the first time I entered in the cdkey. Every time I have formatted since then, I have just let HL2 install itself via steam without even touching the CD's.)
Did you ever think about actually reading what the package contained, instead of assuming it would grant you the same access as steam user?
Old 09-11-05, 08:41 AM   #90
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday
WHEN WILL YOU GET IT TROUGH YOUR HEADS? RETAIL IS NOT VALVE!
Last I checked, Valve still made the game, whether you bought it through retail or not. Vivendi does the advertising, packaging, and distribution, while Valve's responsibility is to develop and support the game (come to think of it, didn't Valve get free advertising for Steam sales of the game since Vivendi advertised HL2, and those people who saw ads for it could've bought the game through Steam where Vivendi wouldn't have recieved money for it?). And since DoD:S falls under the control of Valve, there's nothing stopping them from making it availible to more people such as those who spent $80 on the collector's edition of the game, or at the very least offer bronze and retail owners the option to upgrade to the Silver or Gold pack instead of needing to buy a $20 package for access to a single add-on.

Quote:
Did you ever think about actually reading what the package contained, instead of assuming it would grant you the same access as steam user?
I think you totally missed the point of the post you quoted.

And BTW, next time you might want to edit your previous post and add onto it instead of making a new one when there haven't been any posts in-between.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 11:31 AM   #91
Rakeesh

Quote:
Christ...what an illiterate idiot.

If you'd actually read my posts, you'd note the following:

1. I don't even give a crap about DoD:S
2. I bought the retail version (NOT THE CE) and naturally didn't care about anything that silver entailed. It cost me about $25 and I already have the old HL1 games so I don't care about the back catalog either (I don't care about CS:CZ either as it is one crappy game.)
3. I am pointing out how rediculous it is that the CE users get less than the silver users even though they paid more, and at the time it wasn't very obvious to them that DoD:S wouldn't be included with the CE whereas it and more was going to be included with a cheaper version of the game. The only people it may have been obvious to are the fanboys such as yourself who have nothing better to do than to browse valves catalog all damn day.
4. Valve could easily give the CE users the benefit of the doubt and let them have DoD:S free. There is nothing preventing them from doing so, and it could earn them money in the long run by keeping that many more customers.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 09-11-05, 03:53 PM   #92
ST:DS9

Quote:

If you'd actually read my posts, you'd note the following:

1. I don't even give a crap about DoD:S
2. I bought the retail version (NOT THE CE) and naturally didn't care about anything that silver entailed. It cost me about $25 and I already have the old HL1 games so I don't care about the back catalog either (I don't care about CS:CZ either as it is one crappy game.)
3. I am pointing out how rediculous it is that the CE users get less than the silver users even though they paid more, and at the time it wasn't very obvious to them that DoD:S wouldn't be included with the CE whereas it and more was going to be included with a cheaper version of the game. The only people it may have been obvious to are the fanboys such as yourself who have nothing better to do than to browse valves catalog all damn day.
4. Valve could easily give the CE users the benefit of the doubt and let them have DoD:S free. There is nothing preventing them from doing so, and it could earn them money in the long run by keeping that many more customers.
Hmm, I didn't follow the HL2 development at all. It was in forums like this that I found out that there was going to be a download version, then when Valve posted news about the Steam Packages and the Retail Release someone posted those news bits on a forum. When I looked at the different packages, Silver was a clear winner, because Retail versions did not come with as much.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-05, 03:55 PM   #93
ST:DS9

Ok people, when I say contract deals could be preventing them to give DOD:S away for free, I am not talking about Vivendi, I'm talking about Activsion who owns the rights to DOD.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 04:43 AM   #94
faraday

Default Ameriiiicaaaaaaa!!

Quote:
I rest my case...
Old 09-12-05, 11:09 AM   #95
superklye

Default Re: Ameriiiicaaaaaaa!!

Quote:
I rest my case...
What?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 01:30 PM   #96
Rakeesh

Default Re: Ameriiiicaaaaaaa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
What?
In other words, he has no rebuting argument, so the defense rests, only to be found guilty as charged