Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-05, 05:17 PM   #13
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Default Re: GeForce Go 6600 freezes system when running OpenGL apps

Hmmm... I think that's the only (major) thing that I didn't try yet, but I doubt that the problem resides in it.

I even ran TWM (Tab Window Manager) to see if the problem had to do with Fluxbox, but the system freezed anyway. I'm currently using Linux 2.6.14-rc1, but the problem persists (ARGH!). I have no doubt that the problem is related to software, but I can't figure out what.

It seems that Slackware 10.2 is going to be released soon. I hope that this problem can be solved with an upgrade to the system.
quetzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 08:44 PM   #14
Dellusionary

I like Slackware. But I'm lazy, and I reverted to apt-get for stability and to save time - I took a Kanotix HD install, removed all the Kanotix bits, and gradually stripped it down to only what I use. At least that way I had a system that worked right away and could get some work done while tinkering.

Anyway I wish you luck - I used to have lots of problems with 3D in Ubuntu - probably too much patching going on. I reckon simpler is better!
Dellusionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 08:24 AM   #15
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Well, since I tried almost everything regarding software, it crossed my mind, that the problem could be caused by a heat problem (but I still doubt it).

This time I ran Enemy Territory in Window Mode (1152x864), instead of running in fullscreen. In a corner of the desktop I placed nvidia-settings to monitor the system and GPU core temperatures. Until the system freeze, I played for 20 to 30 minutes. When it froze, the temperature of the system was 56C (I find it normal), and the core temp was at 67C (nothing out of the ordinary, since I've seen the GPU reaching higher temperatures without causing any kind of problem).

What else could be causing the system to freeze? Bad drivers?
Old 09-25-05, 04:22 PM   #16
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetzyg
It seems that Slackware 10.2 is going to be released soon. I hope that this problem can be solved with an upgrade to the system.
Well, that didn't work either...
I hope the next driver release can solve the problem.
Old 09-25-05, 04:31 PM   #17
Kel_Sceptic

guys please take a look here
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56926
why trying to fix something unfixable when u can use something workable
btw: It has support for Geforce 6600 ...don;t know for sure if it has for GeForce Go 6600

Linux Display Driver - IA32

Version: 1.0-6629
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: November 5, 2004

Release Highlights

* Added support for GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 GT.
* Added support for Quadro FX 4000 SDI
* Added support for 512 MB framebuffers.
* Improved support for GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language).
* Improved performance for VBO (OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects).
* Improved support for Linux 2.6 kernels.
* Improved support for PCI Express.
* Reduced virtual address space consumption in OpenGL applications.
* Updated documentation. Please see the text README file.

The Known Issues section contains new information for EM64T and for multithreaded application stability. There are also new appendices:

(app-s) APPENDIX S: POWER MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
(app-t) APPENDIX T: DISPLAY DEVICE NAMES
(app-u) APPENDIX U: THE COMPOSITE X EXTENSION
* Improved support for EM64T Linux/x86-64 systems
* Improved support for RenderAccel
* Improved performance for Java2D.
Kel_Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 07:49 AM   #18
psc80

Send a message via ICQ to psc80 Send a message via MSN to psc80
Default Re: GeForce Go 6800 freezes system when running OpenGL apps

I have the same problem with drivers 1.0-7676 so i re installed 6629. I don't anderstand why nvidia says nothing about that. Why bugs like that are not detected by nvidia in their internal test...
I don't anderstand why the leader has this kind of problem...
psc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 02:51 PM   #19
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Angry Re: GeForce Go 6600 freezes system when running OpenGL apps

I'm now using the latest drivers (1.0-8174).
My laptop display can now run at 1680x1050, the switch to and from X/Console problem that caused a delay, and muted audio for a few seconds is also fixed, but I still get total system lockups when running ET or DOOM3 (and any other game that uses OpenGL for that matter).

Here goes my xorg.conf and a bug-report to see if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna try out the 1.0-6629 drivers to see what happends.

Cheers,
Quetzy Garcia
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (17.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (982 Bytes, 139 views)
Old 12-08-05, 04:14 PM   #20
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Thumbs up Re: GeForce Go 6600 freezes system when running OpenGL apps

I've been playing DOOM3 for 30 minutes, and so far, the patched 1.0-6629 drivers are working OK. It's a shame that the max resolution I can achieve is 1400x1050.

Old 12-09-05, 04:43 AM   #21
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Unhappy Re: GeForce Go 6600 freezes system when running OpenGL apps

And once again, my system freezed after 40 minutes of game playing.
Old 12-10-05, 09:44 PM   #22
Solv
Linux Rox

I have the exact same problems here but far worse, and have tested both an mx440 and an fx7500. I have tried all the suggestions listed in all the threads I can find, even using kel's patch for 1.0-6629, but my system still hangs within 1 minute if I start using opengl. Acutally to perfectly honest it used to do it only with opengl but it will now do it randomly when running X11. I too thought it must have been a dud card or something, but the linux generic nv driver never crashes on either card...even though it is slow as hell when using opengl....
When it comes to submitting the bug report generated by nvidia, is it possible to just reboot when it hangs and grab it then, or do I have to try and ssh into my machine remotely to get it? Even if I do, is there any point in submitting a bug report...in my experience submitting a bug report does not result in any response or any useful assistance from the software engineers?

solv
Solv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 09:57 PM   #23
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The fact that all is well with the 'nv' driver doesn't prove that you don't have bad hardware.

Please generate a bug report before you restart X, preferably while X is hung. Also, please state what kind of motherboard you're using.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 11:24 PM   #24
Solv
Linux Rox

I don't have the means to get hold of the bug report before I restart X as it freezes everything, and I can't switch to another screen/terminal. I also don't have the means of accessing my computer remotely at this moment in time.
My motherboard is an ASUS socket 478 P4SGX-MX. That has got me thinking...if it's happening on two cards...could it be my AGP port? Is there any way or software for testing if this is the case? I have had limited success in running some apps like openquartz and ut2004 for a longer period of time before hanging if I play them in a window on a lower res...does that mean anything to you?
Thanks for you lightning fast response too btw!

Solv
Solv is offline   Reply With Quote