Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-08-05, 11:00 AM   #1
thatoneguy

Default nforce sound, need gaim, skype and amarok

Hey, I have a MSI K7N2G motherboard with soundstorm (i think) sound on it. I'v read all over the place and cant seem to get the answer i want. Basically I want to be able to run amarok, gaim, and skype and hear all the sounds at the same time. I would also like to run teamspeak and/or skype and counterstike and have sound.

I know ALSA doesnt support Hardware (HW) mixing for this sound card. But I know the card can do hardware mixing and the newest (1.0-0306) nvidia drivers are suposted to suport it.

My questions are:
1. When you have HW mixing, does this mean that you wont get the "/dev/dsp is being used by another application" error anymore?
2. If this were the case why would anyone use ALSA with a soundstorm board?
3. If this is not the case what does HW mixing do for ya.
4. Lastly, How do I get all three of the above programs playing sound at the same time.

What i've tried:
1. The ALSA snd_intel8x0 driver. With this I would have to use skype by itself, and then after using skype my gaim sound wouldnt work again untill a computer restart.
2. The nvsound driver (1.0-0306). This seemed to work better.. not as many problems with gaim fighting w/ other software (ie amarok, teamspeak...) Except my mic wont work for skype or krec. But does work with audacity... seems like an esd/arts Problem. I think audacity accesses the sound device directly. Also, w/ the nvsound driver, people in skype sound like chipmuncks... unless i use artsdsp -m skype. In which case people sound normal, but my mic still doesnt work.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks abunch

oh yeah, and im using PClinuxOS 9.1
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 11:46 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: nforce sound, need gaim, skype and amarok

The only way to allow sharing of the device is to use a soundserver like esd/jack/arts I think to which all audio traffic gets routed.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 12:03 PM   #3
thatoneguy

If I had a newer sound card where HW mixing is suppported would I have to worry about arts/jack/esd.... ?
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 02:08 PM   #4
mo_x

You might want to do some research on the ALSA dmix plugin.
mo_x is offline   Reply With Quote