Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-05, 04:36 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Lightbulb The Future of PC Gaming Looks VERY Bright

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned in the past about the future of PC Gaming. The next gen consoles looked amazing, and I thought that the PC Gaming community would shrink. I'm glad to say, I think I was wrong. I was suprised at the amount of PC Games at E3, the next gen consoles were just announced, and I expected the show to be mainly consoles. I was wrong. Also, recently the screenshots and movies from the next gen's has been looking worse and worse IMO, and the PC Gaming scene looks better and better. Here is what I mean, look at all the interesting hardware that we have to look forward to in the near future:
  • The Ageia PPU will make games advance in a direction that is great from a gameplay, and visual standpoint. Physics in games plays a large role in the overall excitement for me, I'm glad to see that this is taking a huge step in this direction.
  • The Ultra competitive GPU market obviously plays a huge role in the lowering of prices, as well as the bigger and badder hardware that we all crave.
  • Unreal Engine 3 looks absolutely amazing, and I cannot even begin to count the number of developers that have licensed this engine. Not to mention the other upcoming amazing looking engines, we have the tech demos of a few, and FEAR looks very impressive as well.
  • John Carmack drives a good part of the gaming industry, I remember back when there were rumors of him taking a back seat to programming, I think that has changed now. He showed up at quakecon this year for the first time in a while, and I think he will be more involved from now on.
  • Steam some may love, some may hate, but it is a godsend for PC Gaming, no longer will creative ideas be brushed away from publishers because of the risk involved with a non-mainstream game, finally, developers are sticking it to publishers, and we should see better, more creative games because of it.
  • The upcoming Pentium M is extremely fast. And can easily compete with an FX55, competition for AMD means faster CPU's and lower prices.
  • The mouse showdown doesn't seem like a big deal, but to me it does. I will tell you why; yes, we all know that Razor and Logitech always duke it out in the mouse arena, but recently, we had Microsoft join in for the threesome. Microsoft have kinda stepped out of the gaming hardware arena a few years back, now they are back with their gaming mouse, and who knows, maybe gaming hardware again. Obviously they see a large market for it or else they would not spend the amount of resources needed for a good gaming mouse.
  • AIseek's AIS-1 another unique device that allows vast improvements in A.I. Who doesn't want better A.I. in pcgaming? I am very excited about this and the PPU.
  • quake4 sure looks great, but its not the singleplayer that I am looking forward to most. It is the multiplayer. Love it or hate it quake3 multiplayer was and is, huge. quake4 looks to be the same, and frankly, I can't wait to see the gib's flying.
  • Windows Vista is another one, Microsoft said they are trying to make it easier to port console games over to PC, and if the rumors are true, Vista has plenty of tricks for us PC Gamers with Vista. Maybe we will see the end of the lame port?
  • Creative X-fi looks good to me. Love it or hate it Creative is taking a huge step in the right direction. The reviewers love it, and I can't wait to pick one up.
  • PS3 and Xbox360 are consoles, but from a PC perspective, look at the ports that we will get from these two decent looking consoles, no longer will game ports be based on 5 year old technology, at least, not in the short term.
  • Budget cards supporting SM3.0 means us hardcore gamers will get all the nice graphical features, and developers aren't scared to put it in.
  • SLI/Crossfire, HDR, 512mb cards, LCD's finally with low response times, gaming keyboards, and the list goes on.

Frankly, I'm glad to be a PC Gamer right now
Old 09-10-05, 04:39 PM   #2
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908
Default Re: The future of PC Gaming looks very bright

That list made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 04:54 PM   #3
jolle

Default Re: The Future of PC Gaming Looks VERY Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Frankly, I'm glad to be a PC Gamer right now
Sure you dont mean:
Frankly, I'm glad to be a PC Gamer with alot of cash at hand right now.
hehe.. all that hardware comes with a hefty price tag.

That said, I still wouldnt buy a console.
Old 09-10-05, 05:10 PM   #4
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Yep...

Damn it feels good to be a gamer...
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 06:13 PM   #5
Nitz Walsh

Frankly, the best news about PC gaming is that MS knows they haven't done all they can to promote it:

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=488

Quote:
Microsoft has pledged to ‘put the game back into Windows’, admitting that its lack of investment in PC has been ‘killing’ the platform.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 06:20 PM   #6
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I share your views about points 3-4, but as of the rest...

*Who needs more useless physics puzzles in videogames? Stack the boxes, push the boxes. These things are better suited to monkeys in a zoo cage! :P

*Who needs another bloated OS from Mircosoft? I'm just beginning to appreciate XP after I succesxfully cut it down to 150MB with nLite. Still far from the 30MB I was able to reach with 98Lite and Windows 98

*The Pentium M is overrated. Its big, fast cache is what makes its performance. For the rest is just a normal Pentium 3 (with all the pros and cons of the p6 architecture) If AMD could use the same 12" wafer plants of Intel and produce enough processors with gargantuan L2 caches, the difference in performance would be even much more umiliating for Intel.

*Creative X-fi: if it wasn't for Creative and its monopoly we would have much better audio libraries now. Besides, I don't have enough space to have a full set of surround speakers nor an adeguate room for setting a up a virtual theatre with everything that follows. Just give me a DSP that recreates high fidelity surround sound for headphones! When it comes to headphones, most products on the market offer minimal support besides some lame "virtual surround" mode.

*Advanced mouse/keyboards, fancy joypads, etc... Just pricey useless devices. The best FPS player I knew (one ranked very high in the UT/Q3 ladder back in the days when these two games where rocking the boat) used to play with a cheap-ass keyboard + PS/2 mouse combo. He kept video detail to the minimum and music off in order not to be distracted. In the end it's all a matter of skills, not of hardware.

Being a PC gamer is being ass-raped. And being happy for it. Honestly, if it wasn't for the ability to mod videogames (something console users don't enjoy yet), I would have given up long ago.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 07:16 PM   #7
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

You missed the most important bit Jakup. All that hardware is lovely but its useless without games
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 07:41 PM   #8
russ_3d
museikal rtisdt

*Who needs more useless physics puzzles in videogames? Stack the boxes, push the boxes. These things are better suited to monkeys in a zoo cage! :P
/endquote

aww come one man, you are forgetting that an MMORPG with proper physics (or any multiplayer) could be the absolute bees knees ( ) with physics. because we can start doing things ourselves

e.g > a couple of barrels - 4 x teams of two - push to top of hill - one gets in, 1,2,3 - the other team member rolls barrels down hill, first to bottom wins. if it smashes out of race.

gnome throwing contests. or gnome punting. at long last.

pick up anything to use as weapons. including limbs.

see what im getting at? i have a TOP SECRET idea for a physix gun that turns whatever part you shoot at (leg,arm,chest) into another form - liquid - rock - ice - glass - smoke etc. imagine that for a gun ! oops i let it out.

oh, jakup - you are forgetting another thing - 3d tech.
it is advancing. 3d screens soon, - next start wars are going to be in 3d i heard?
and some people are patenting a tech that has a projector in the middle of a table that fires out 360 beams of light in a circular motion - making a 'soft-light-object' - but thats maybe a little while off.

yeah im excited. good times for us ahead!
russ_3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-05, 08:16 PM   #9
Edge
3d animator for hire!

For the X-fi, I'd have to say that any product from Creative is going to be yet another money-hole that doesn't deliver on what it should. Hell, my Vortex 2 STILL has better sound capabilities than any game I've played on my Audigy 2, and frankly the HRTF and sound processing on any Creative API is inferior to it. I miss the days of being able to hear things above me, or sounds actually reflecting off walls in real-time. If the X-fi delivers on what it promises, then it will probably end up being one small step closer to what we got out of the Vortex 2.

I think the glory days of PC gaming were between 1997 and 1999. Back then virtually everyone used the same platform (Win95/98), new technologies were exciting and offered features never heard before, and the games were spectacular (Half-life, System Shock 2, and Total Annihilation are some of my favorite games of all time). Now, it seems like you're espected to spend a thousand dollers on a computer upgrade every year or two, the OS of choice is bloated, and far more games seem to be have gameplay that's worse than games that came out years ago. Hell, it took 3 years and many videocard upgrades later before a 3d accelerated game could have water effects on the same level as a software-rendered game from 1999 (Outcast).

The lack of unified hardware is REALLY starting to become a burden on PC gaming, developers are getting to the point where they can't both support the low-end AND provide high-end features, and cutting off the low-end means killing their sales much of the time. After all, for both the AI and physics chips, developers not only have to design a basic gameplay system for those that don't have those things, but also work in game mechanics that WOULD take advantage of them for users that do own them. And they have to take into account that someone might have an AI chip but not a physics chip, or that a person with the physics chip wouldn't have the AI chip (which would be a particularly challenging scenario, since the new gameplay mechanics offered by advanced physics would probably require advanced AI to react to it).

I definately play PC games more than anything, yet strangely I find that lately the main games I've been playing on it are either based on 10-year old engines or have had the same gameplay mechanics as games from 2000.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 08:54 PM   #10
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

The nVidia 6 series is a unified system. Even the 6200 supports SM3.0. I dunno what you are talking about not being unified if an $80 6200 supports all the features of its higher end brothers. Sounds unified to me.

Look back to the old days. How many different API's was there?? Opengl, glide, d3d, and I think PowerVR had one too. Developers had to support EVERY single one. Now we have direct3d. Sounds unified to me.

And how about soundcards in the old days? Every soundcard was different, and you had to select your soundcard and settings to get it to work properly. Remember that? Now we have directsound. Sounds unified to me.

Back then I remember some games having 3DNow features, or some having MMX features. And now? Its about the same. Sounds unified to me.

Everyone says that gaming now is more expensive than it used to be, its really not. I've been gaming for at least 10 years, and I can tell you its not more expensive. For a good gaming experience, I think its even cheaper. I remember back then just to play quake2 with all options maxed you need at least a top of the line voodoo2 at 1024x768.
And now? A 6600gt will play Doom3 perfectly at 1024x768 at 60fps. If you want the AA/AF, thats when it starts getting expensive.
Old 09-10-05, 09:16 PM   #11
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Imagine the possibilities of real time flowing water. I dunno about you guys, but physics is one of the recent gaming technologies that has impressed me. No longer can you use a soda can for cover. You have to rethink your strategies.

Quote:
*The Pentium M is overrated. Its big, fast cache is what makes its performance. For the rest is just a normal Pentium 3 (with all the pros and cons of the p6 architecture) If AMD could use the same 12" wafer plants of Intel and produce enough processors with gargantuan L2 caches, the difference in performance would be even much more umiliating for Intel.
Ummm... ITS FAST!! Thats all that matters! It doesnt matter how they do it, its fast. And plus, cache has nothing to do with the speed of the CPU, look at the San Diego cores with the 1mb L2, the performance difference is very small. So what if its basically a p3? I tell you, if intel came out with a CPU based on the 486 that whipped the pants off a FX57, I sure as hell would buy it!

Quote:
*Creative X-fi: if it wasn't for Creative and its monopoly we would have much better audio libraries now. Besides, I don't have enough space to have a full set of surround speakers nor an adeguate room for setting a up a virtual theatre with everything that follows. Just give me a DSP that recreates high fidelity surround sound for headphones! When it comes to headphones, most products on the market offer minimal support besides some lame "virtual surround" mode.
Well thats certainly not what all the reviews say, they say the headphone experience is absolutely amazing on the X-FI, it is able to recreate positional audio very well.

Quote:
*Advanced mouse/keyboards, fancy joypads, etc... Just pricey useless devices. The best FPS player I knew (one ranked very high in the UT/Q3 ladder back in the days when these two games where rocking the boat) used to play with a cheap-ass keyboard + PS/2 mouse combo. He kept video detail to the minimum and music off in order not to be distracted. In the end it's all a matter of skills, not of hardware.
You obviously haven't used a good mouse/keyboard/mousepad. Its not about the skill completely, its about the feel. I just wouldn't be able to game with some old ball mouse, its just not responsive, and not smooth. Let me use this example:
Does a high performance steering wheel make you any better of a driver? Not really, but it sure feels nicer/smoother/more responsive.

Plus, the main reason I brought up the point is because there is an obvious market for it. Which means company's think there is enough profit in this stuff. Its good to see PC Gaming get some attention.
Old 09-10-05, 09:32 PM   #12
Sgt_Pitt

your also forgetting that the pc is an first choice for a stepping stone into the game design industry for alot of budding programmers and game designers

pc will never die