Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-05, 10:02 PM   #13
PSYCHODAD
cereal killer

Default Re: The Future of PC Gaming Looks VERY Bright

jacKup--"LCD's finally with low response times, gaming keyboards, and the list goes on"

I just went from a Viewsonic 19" monitor to a 19" Hyundai LCD and I've been very happy with this choice.

Seems to me that some of the current generation of LCDs are quite adequate for gaming, so no need to wait for the future\ imo.
System #1
CPU INTEL|3rd gen I-7@3.7ghz
16gb memory Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
PSU Siverstone Zeus 850w
EVGA 660gtx
Logitech G400 gaming mouse
Dell 2407WFP 24" lcd

Video Games -- Why waste good technology on science and medicine?
PSYCHODAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 10:08 PM   #14
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well, what I meant is that we finally have LCD's with low response times As in, the last year
Old 09-10-05, 10:57 PM   #15
PikachuMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Well, what I meant is that we finally have LCD's with low response times As in, the last year
That is lovely. The LCD I'm using has one nasty response time, it's great now that even the cheaper models won't have this horrid ghosting.

That's a nice list you have there, it's so tempting to go build a brand new system for those new technologies. Those consoles are cheap though..
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 11:22 PM   #16
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I completely agree with you, jAkUp. I'm glad I'm still a PC gamer.

I recently got Dell's XPS Gen 2 laptop, ZOMG it's so sweet and fast. It's great for gaming at school, or whatever. I'm very much looking forward to the future on what games will bring. I'm currently studying at DigiPen in Redmond in Production Animation. I might be one of people who will bring kickass games and take advantage of certain features like HDR, SM4.0(if it's out at that time), PhysX, etc.

...if I do all homework and turn them in on time. :P

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 11:29 PM   #17
Drumphil

I thought this thread was going to be about overdone HDR and bloom effects.
Old 09-10-05, 11:33 PM   #18
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
The nVidia 6 series is a unified system. Even the 6200 supports SM3.0. I dunno what you are talking about not being unified if an $80 6200 supports all the features of its higher end brothers. Sounds unified to me.

Look back to the old days. How many different API's was there?? Opengl, glide, d3d, and I think PowerVR had one too. Developers had to support EVERY single one. Now we have direct3d. Sounds unified to me.

And how about soundcards in the old days? Every soundcard was different, and you had to select your soundcard and settings to get it to work properly. Remember that? Now we have directsound. Sounds unified to me.

Back then I remember some games having 3DNow features, or some having MMX features. And now? Its about the same. Sounds unified to me.
Ahh, but that's the thing: an $80 6200 supports the same features as a 6800ultra, but a $400 x850xt doesn't. Now, if a developer wanted to make a game for the "high-end" cards, how could they design it for SM3.0 when half of the high-end cards out there don't even support it? I honestly think the non-unified hardware issue from early on has come back even worse (btw, very few games supported OpenGL, D3D, AND Glide: most only had support for one or two). Should we add multi-core support? Should we add physics card support? Should we add AI card support? If we have an advanced physics system, will the AI be able to compensate for it without killing the performance without an AI card? If someone doesn't have the hardware to run our advanced lighting system, can we compensate for that without affecting gameplay, or should we cut off support for low-end hardware? Developer will have to look at all these issues, and many more, when designing their games now, and there's no way most developers are going to have enough resources to solve all these issues.

Quote:
Everyone says that gaming now is more expensive than it used to be, its really not. I've been gaming for at least 10 years, and I can tell you its not more expensive. For a good gaming experience, I think its even cheaper. I remember back then just to play quake2 with all options maxed you need at least a top of the line voodoo2 at 1024x768.
And now? A 6600gt will play Doom3 perfectly at 1024x768 at 60fps. If you want the AA/AF, thats when it starts getting expensive.
Err, it's a HELL of a lot more expensive now than it was back then. I remember my friend getting a super beefed-up computer in late 1998 which was, in a word, godly, and it cost about $800. Now, we have $300 sound cards, $250 physics cards, AI cards, $600 videocards (with SLI for up to $1200 worth of videocards, no less), $1000 dual-core CPUs, etc. Back then, we had a damn hard time finding anything that even stressed my friend's top-of-the-line PC for at least a year, but now games like Everquest 2, F.E.A.R., hell even Thief 3 can't be run on a $200 videocard at anywhere near high settings, and we haven't even STARTED getting into games that use the physics or AI cards.

Quote:
Well thats certainly not what all the reviews say, they say the headphone experience is absolutely amazing on the X-FI, it is able to recreate positional audio very well.
Making the best product is easy if there's no competition. Of course the X-fi is going to sound like the greatest thing ever when the ONLY thing to compare it to is Creative's LAST card. And even then, very few games will support it. Remember what I said about unified hardware? Some games either don't support EAX, or support it poorly. Some games don't even have surround sound support! So when the X-fi is released, is it even going to be worth it when many games either don't support it or only use a miniscule number of features on it? It's ridiculous that there's absolutely no standards for games to follow, and your experience with one on your hardware could be terrific, while for another that same hardware isn't taken advantage of at all. Every game SHOULD have surround sound support, every game SHOULD have at least environmental audio support (I think it's a crappy system, but since it's the standard, I'd expect it to be followed), yet a large amount of games don't even support those. Many games don't even support standard resolutions, if you have a 1280x1024 native LCD monitor, you're going to have trouble with games that only support 1280x960, or in some cases, 1024x768 MAX.

Quote:
Imagine the possibilities of real time flowing water. I dunno about you guys, but physics is one of the recent gaming technologies that has impressed me. No longer can you use a soda can for cover. You have to rethink your strategies.
I do agree with this, physics are one of the things I'm looking forward to seeing more of in games. It certainly opens the door for many new gameplay mechanics (I've actually come up with a few interesting gameplay ideas involving physics myself). However, physics aren't really new: Trespasser had physics that were actually used for MORE things than modern games use them for when it was released back in 1998. It's just that now, we don't have nearly as many problems with them and they're refined to the point of where developers aren't scared to use them. I only hope that we won't be expected to buy $250 cards to take advantage of advanced physics in upcoming games.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 11:51 PM   #19
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Gotta agree except for the stinkin' Steam which dosent let me play the same game on 2 PCs at once ... its simply retard & i dont see this doing any good for the PC gaming future.
(edited).

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 12:03 AM   #20
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yup... Steam sucks. It is not the future... I prefer to have a hard copy of my game I can install anytime I want WITHOUT needed internet access and then there is always the possibility of Steam just going "hmmm... I think I will delete your game for no reason"... I can't tell you how many times Steam wanted me to redownload CS:S because I "didn't have it"...
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-05, 12:59 AM   #21
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Yup... Steam sucks. It is not the future... I prefer to have a hard copy of my game I can install anytime I want WITHOUT needed internet access and then there is always the possibility of Steam just going "hmmm... I think I will delete your game for no reason"... I can't tell you how many times Steam wanted me to redownload CS:S because I "didn't have it"...
you can easily back those files up. Maybe not steam, but services similar to steam will probably be used more and more. When a developer can create a game without the help of a publisher, that is more cash in their pocket. Definetely extremely inviting for most developers.
Old 09-11-05, 01:04 AM   #22
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Definetely extremely inviting for most developers.
Inventing for them ... but bad for us

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 01:19 AM   #23
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Ahh, but that's the thing: an $80 6200 supports the same features as a 6800ultra, but a $400 x850xt doesn't. Now, if a developer wanted to make a game for the "high-end" cards, how could they design it for SM3.0 when half of the high-end cards out there don't even support it? I honestly think the non-unified hardware issue from early on has come back even worse (btw, very few games supported OpenGL, D3D, AND Glide: most only had support for one or two). Should we add multi-core support? Should we add physics card support? Should we add AI card support? If we have an advanced physics system, will the AI be able to compensate for it without killing the performance without an AI card? If someone doesn't have the hardware to run our advanced lighting system, can we compensate for that without affecting gameplay, or should we cut off support for low-end hardware? Developer will have to look at all these issues, and many more, when designing their games now, and there's no way most developers are going to have enough resources to solve all these issues.
And x850 is a last generation card! The voodoo2 didn't support 32bit color. The voodoo3 did. Difference? Last generation card.
Thief 3 runs fine on $200 cards! Like I said. If you want AA/AF you need to spend more money. Back in the older days, did you use AA/AF? NO. What suddenly makes you think you can use it now for the same amount of money? AA/AF is something seperate from standard graphical features.

I will use this comparision again. I used to play quakeII on my $350 Voodoo2 at 60fps with no AA/AF at 60fps.
Now? A 6600GT for $200 is more than enough for HL2 or Doom3 at 1024x768 with no AA/AF @ 60fps. If you want the higher resolutions, its gonna cost you. Hell, remember for the Voodoo2's, You needed to run 2 of them just to get 1024x768!

Also, many developers are licensing engines, rather than building them from scratch, so that means we will have better polished gameplay, along with all the nice graphical features in a vast majority of games. The UE3 engine supports just about everything. Look how many devs have licensed it. Thats a bunch of games with the same basic requirements.

Quote:
Err, it's a HELL of a lot more expensive now than it was back then. I remember my friend getting a super beefed-up computer in late 1998 which was, in a word, godly, and it cost about $800. Now, we have $300 sound cards, $250 physics cards, AI cards, $600 videocards (with SLI for up to $1200 worth of videocards, no less), $1000 dual-core CPUs, etc. Back then, we had a damn hard time finding anything that even stressed my friend's top-of-the-line PC for at least a year, but now games like Everquest 2, F.E.A.R., hell even Thief 3 can't be run on a $200 videocard at anywhere near high settings, and we haven't even STARTED getting into games that use the physics or AI cards.
He obviously didn't get top of the line. I remember when a Pentium II was going for $650! Yes, just the CPU! Not to mention RAM costed and arm and a leg! Now? Ram is incredibly cheap, and CPU's well the top of the line is more expensive, but everything goes up in price.

As for FEAR, it runs great on a $200 video card. You just have to turn the options down. I mean, seriously, what in the hell would be the point in buying a $600 video card if a $200 ran it fine?

My point is, its much cheaper nowadays to build a mid-range to high-end gaming system, of course, the super high end stuff is expensive. But I could easily build a mid range system for $800.

Luxery cars keep getting more and more expensive as well.. why? They become more and more advanced, however, more and more decently powered cars are getting to the low price ranges. Its the same thing here.
Old 09-11-05, 01:21 AM   #24
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Inventing for them ... but bad for us
I don't think its bad for us in the least. Like I said, we will get more creative games, and better games because of it. Truth is, a publisher will not sign a game they won't sell. The cost of development is much too high. So many creative games never see the light of day because they find no publisher that is willing to take a risk. Most PC Games now are FPS, Racing, and MMORPG's, reason is because those genres sell. Once you cut the publisher out, we will see more System Shocks, RPG's, Adventure Games, etc.