Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-05, 02:30 AM   #25
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: The Future of PC Gaming Looks VERY Bright

Psst... Voodoo 3 didnt support 32bit color... Voodoo4 and 5 were the first (and last)

But I agree on most of your points... I also agree on some of Edge's. I personally think PC gaming is doing really well right now. More and more people are getting into PC games and more and more PCs are getting capable of running them. Even the POS intel extreme graphics chips are getting to the point where they are capable of playing recent games (slowly).

Plus, we have a new Elder Scrolls game coming out... the last one had a big impact on console and PC gamers, so that alone will make the near future for PC gaming pretty good
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 02:35 AM   #26
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

WHoops... man its been so long The voodoo3 did support 1024x768 though right?
Old 09-11-05, 02:39 AM   #27
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I don't think its bad for us in the least. Like I said, we will get more creative games, and better games because of it. Truth is, a publisher will not sign a game they won't sell. The cost of development is much too high. So many creative games never see the light of day because they find no publisher that is willing to take a risk. Most PC Games now are FPS, Racing, and MMORPG's, reason is because those genres sell. Once you cut the publisher out, we will see more System Shocks, RPG's, Adventure Games, etc.
Look i dont want to turn this into "Steam haters" thread , but i do have many points againest Steam .. i'll just go over some of them very quickly.
1) Internet connection is needed whatsoever .. yes even if for once. its annoying.
2) Trouble with the accounts : as i said above you cant play the same game on 2 PCs at once. you have to log on PC & log off the other ..etc . its crazy!!
3) Backing up files is a headache. i want to play the game whenever i want without the trouble of backing up my files here & sending them there.

thats some i recall right now & there are many others depending on the players usage .. like MP , mods , updates , addones .. etc.

in fact its the reason why i became less interested in the whole HL2 thing. not even the upcoming HDR map is interesting to me anymore

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 02:43 AM   #28
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Look i dont want to turn this into "Steam haters" thread , but i do have many points againest Steam .. i'll just go over some of them very quickly.
1) Internet connection is needed whatsoever .. yes even if for once. its annoying.
2) Trouble with the accounts : as i said above you cant play the same game on 2 PCs at once. you have to log on PC & log off the other ..etc . its crazy!!
3) Backing up files is a headache. i want to play the game whenever i want without the trouble of backing up my files here & sending them there.

thats some i recall right now & there are many others depending on the players usage .. like MP , mods , updates , addones .. etc.

in fact its the reason why i became less interested in the whole HL2 thing. not even the upcoming HDR map is interesting to me anymore

Yea I agree, it really is pretty sucky in alot of situations. Even I have had some issues with it. But sadly, you can thank the warez kiddies for most of those inconviences.
I believe that Steam will continue to be improved, and eventually, be used widely. Already Sin2 is gonna be available on steam.. why? No publisher wanted to publish Sin2. So even with its faults it has some goods. This is something the console fanboys don't get
Old 09-11-05, 02:48 AM   #29
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
WHoops... man its been so long The voodoo3 did support 1024x768 though right?
Yeah, it supported up to 2048x1536... though I seriously doubt any games would have run at that res.

And SH64, your #2 is sort of a "duH!?" thing
Playing a single copy of a game on 2 PCs at once is a breach of the license agreement in most cases, and usually requires piracy (copied disks) or illegal software hacks (no-cd cracks) to happen in the first place. This is especially bad in the case of a multiplayer game since unique CD keys are usually required for each player.

I agree with your other 2 though. I bought the 5 disk copy of HL2 (which had no cases... just paper sleaves ) but I can see how the downloaded packages could be extremely anoying.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 02:58 AM   #30
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
And SH64, your #2 is sort of a "duH!?" thing
Playing a single copy of a game on 2 PCs at once is a breach of the license agreement in most cases, and usually requires piracy (copied disks) or illegal software hacks (no-cd cracks) to happen in the first place. This is especially bad in the case of a multiplayer game since unique CD keys are usually required for each player.
I have a good reasons for that. as you can see from my sig that i have 3 PCs .. & most of the time i like to do some comparsions or testing or other stuff like applying mods to the game on PC1 & other mods on PC2 .
for exmaple i want to test the high-res skin mod in the SLI PC to see the performance impact , while leaving the *cough* nude Alyx mod in the other.
now i cant do this

i cant do it just because of that stupid idea although that i own my legal copy & have the right to play it in any of my PCs. now dont tell me i should by a copy for each PC i won !!

Old 09-11-05, 03:03 AM   #31
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well, when you think about it... its the same for windows copies. 1 license per computer. Yea, I think its lame too, but thats the way it works
Old 09-11-05, 03:13 AM   #32
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
Well, when you think about it... its the same for windows copies. 1 license per computer. Yea, I think its lame too, but thats the way it works
I've gotta say - that's always bothered me. I mean, you're buying a product for yourself - not for a computer. It defies traditional ownership and ideas of fair use. I'm not asking people to sell me a product so I can give it to my friends, but when I buy a product I kind of like to have ownership attributed to me, rather than the machine I install it on. Does anyone know if licensing of any products other than software works in this fashion?
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-05, 03:20 AM   #33
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Does anyone know if liscensing of any products other than software works in this fashion?
None i'm aware of.
if we consider this fashion on everything (even on other types of software).. then using your Music CD on both your MP3 player & your car's CD player is againest the law thats what Steam/M$ are trying to imply.

Old 09-11-05, 08:56 AM   #34
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Gotta agree except for the stinkin' Steam which dosent let me play the same game on 2 PCs at once
How can you play on more than 1 pc at a time anyway ? If you mean you and your friend play, then he needs his own account. Seems perfectly logical and fair to me.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 09:27 AM   #35
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
How can you play on more than 1 pc at a time anyway ? If you mean you and your friend play, then he needs his own account. Seems perfectly logical and fair to me.
Read my previous post on page 2.

Old 09-11-05, 09:33 AM   #36
|MaguS|

Untill I get BioShock (Spiritual Successor to System Shock 2) all PC Gaming is almost dead to me... sure F.E.A.R. and Vanguards will help me stay on the PC but Bioshock .... god I hope they haven't lost there touch...