Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-05, 07:31 AM   #1
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Red face Help me start up multiplaying.

So after years and years of facing computer AI I've desided to go up against real people.
Can you tell me which games would be good to start up with and give me a few pointers how to become a decent player.
I' mostly play fps.
Intel Core i7 4770K|Thermalright True Spirit 120|Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC|2x8GB Kingston DDR3 2400MHz|Evga Geforce 780Ti SC 3GB|Samsung SSD 830 256GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair AX1200i PSU|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|AKASA Eclipse 62 case|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 8.1 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 08:18 AM   #2
spirited1

Default Re: Help me start up multiplaying.

1) Keep moving. Don't stand still for anything and vary your routes.

2) Know the maps. This includes item placement and where every corridor leads to. Learn the respawn time of health and armor powerups.

3) LOOK BEHIND YOU. Get good at running backwards. That means shooting, dropping mines, turning corners and jumping - all whilst running backwards. You'll get there.

4) Every so often you'll face off another player and get into a 1v1 duel. When I see this happen that's usually two easy kills for me. Don't forget there's other people around.

5) You will get owned to start with. Really, really owned. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and practise. You'll get better I promise.

6) Learn from the pros. If you can, go into "free camera mode" if the game supports it. Watch the top fraggers. See how they switch weapons to suit the situation. See them lob grenades into seemingly empty places. See how they rocket jump, strafe jump, and climb a wall with a plasma gun.

7) BOOM HEADSHOT!! Get accurate!

8) Crouching and jumping makes you harder to hit. Use your enviroment, hide behind that crate and lob a grenade. Don't be a hero, but don't camp and snipe either.

9) Practise, then practise again.

10) Don't put up with idiots. There's plenty of servers to choose from.

11) Most important of all, enjoy it.

There's loads more too. I'm an ex-Q3 player and don't FPS online like I used too, so every game is slightly different. There's tricks and tactics unique to each FPS, generally speaking. Good luck!
spirited1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 08:31 AM   #3
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

I miss my Q3 days when I was a finely tuned killing machine. Recently I've been playing CS:S and BF2 (occasionally UT2004) and I tried Quake 3 last week and got the worst beating I've had in years.

But yeah, Fotis, to answer your question.. If you want team play, pick up UT2004, BF2 or CS:S. If you want FFA Quake 3 is still alive (not exactly kicking though) and UT2004 is also another good choice for that. Painkiller is the hot 1v1 game so picking that up could be fun.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 09:21 AM   #4
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com

Last edited by SH64; 06-01-06 at 01:46 AM.
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 09:53 AM   #5
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Lol thats funny.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 11:13 AM   #6
ST:DS9

Quote:

2) Know the maps. This includes item placement and where every corridor leads to. Learn the respawn time of health and armor powerups.

3) LOOK BEHIND YOU. Get good at running backwards. That means shooting, dropping mines, turning corners and jumping - all whilst running backwards. You'll get there.

4) Every so often you'll face off another player and get into a 1v1 duel. When I see this happen that's usually two easy kills for me. Don't forget there's other people around.

5) You will get owned to start with. Really, really owned. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and practise. You'll get better I promise.

6) Learn from the pros. If you can, go into "free camera mode" if the game supports it. Watch the top fraggers. See how they switch weapons to suit the situation. See them lob grenades into seemingly empty places. See how they rocket jump, strafe jump, and climb a wall with a plasma gun.

8) Crouching and jumping makes you harder to hit. Use your enviroment, hide behind that crate and lob a grenade. Don't be a hero, but don't camp and snipe either.

There's loads more too. I'm an ex-Q3 player and don't FPS online like I used too, so every game is slightly different. There's tricks and tactics unique to each FPS, generally speaking. Good luck!

I like to play on servers that allow camping and sniping. It adds alot of challenge and takes alot of team work and tactical planning when you know there could be a sniper in the area. I really hate the run around aimlessly looking for someone to kill type MPs, which is how most MPs are played.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 11:49 AM   #7
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

It might be a good idea to start with a game that just came out, so other people can't have the advantage of knowing the maps, weapons, etc. much better than you.

Some good classics for MP are SOFII, MOHAA, Quake 3, CS 1.6, Team Fortress Classic, and DoD.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 12:41 PM   #8
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

I would also add play an FPS which is PunkBuster anti-cheat enabled.

A list of PB enabled games can be found here
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-05, 05:17 PM   #9
acrh2

Q3 is pretty much dead and there aren't many servers and players in the US left. It also has a pretty demanding net code where one would need less than 50ms ping to truly enjoy it. It's a nice game but it's not that great for FFA and TDM unless you know people you are playing with. Don't even try 1v1, as people with 2+ years of experience would probably rip you a new one.
SOF2 is still a lot of fun and still has many players/servers in US. Nice net code, doesn't feel laggy even with 100ms ping. The graphics are beginning to show its age, but no other online fps game has the fun of shooting people heads and limbs off with the blood squirting out. SOF2 CTF is still VERY much fun and there's still a lot of newbies around so you wouldn't feel that outclassed. Plus the game is very easy to learn since it's all about the tracking aim and knowing the maps.
CS:S is fairly new and there's a lot of people playing it. The net code is very forgiving, like SOF2, where 100ms pings don't feel lagged. The game is nice but gets repetetive quickly, because on most servers, once you die, you have wait for your entire team to die. Overall a nice game. If one wants to go the multiplayer route ala semi-pro or pro, that's the game to use.
UT2k4, I stopped playing about 6 months ago. It has a moderately demanding netcode, where you wouldn't want to have over 75ms ping. Its only really cool mode is Onslaught, but it seemed like it was much too team strategy oriented to enjoy it in pickup games. It definitely is nice if you want to get into it semi-pro or pro-level, but I don't believe there are that many people playing it in this country. Plus, those that do would probably have 1-2 years of experience on you.
I haven't played DOD.
COD is another game very similar to CS:S. I've only played it very briefly, but it didn't grab me. My impression was that it was just a different Counterstrike.

I would recommend SOF2 CTF (my personal favorite for an hour of fun) or CS:S (if you feel like you want to compete in tournaments and win prizes).

Of course, Quake4 and FEAR are coming out this year, and DOD Source in just a few days...

Oh yeah, one tip to get started: use low mouse sensitivity. It's a scientifically proven fact that a) all people who have execeptional aim use low sensitivity, b) most people who use low sensitivity have good aim.
I've always recommened setting the mouse sens to a value that allows you to do one 180-dergee turn with just your wrist turning. So basically, by just twisiting your wrist from a neutral relaxed position to the extreme, you can do a 180 to the left or to the right, but no more than that.
2 x WD 74GB Raptor Raid0, 160GB storage, Plextor PX-716UF, 24x CDRW, 12x DVDROM
U2-UFO case, 7 x 120mm case fans, 2 x Coolermaster Aerogate 3 fan controllers
PCP&C 510W Deluxe, Antec Truepower 430W
Logitech mx518 mouse, Saitek Eclipse keyboard
acrh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 06:54 PM   #10
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Everything here sounds awesome . . . but one thing is FO SHO!

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 06:57 PM   #11
Riptide

A little luck doesn't hurt either.

And I've seen some serious luck in CSS go both ways.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 12:16 AM   #12
Raje

Quote:

That is very good advice.

I picked up BF2 about a week ago and went from getting totally owned to usually being in the top 5 on whichever team I am on.

AquaMark3: 90378; 3DMark01SE: 28563; 3DMark03: 33633; 3DMark05: 8091
Raje is offline   Reply With Quote