Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-05, 09:02 AM   #1
23meg

Default Geforce Go6200 + 2.6.11 + xorg = freeze on Gnome startup / X crash

hi,

i've just got a toshiba tecra m4 laptop with a Geforce Go6200 chip. i'm trying to get things going with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 (which uses xorg), using the 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 kernels. here's what i'm getting:

- with the default Ubuntu "glx" driver i get the Gnome login prompt but when i log in Gnome stalls in the splash screen. you know the drill; the mouse pointer works, the startup sound plays, and nothing else happens.

- with the 7667 driver + 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 kernels installation goes without failure, but the same thing as above happens. i'm 150% sure that i have "GLCore" and "dri" commented out and "nvidia" specified as the driver in my xorg.conf file.

- with the latest driver + any kernel x is totally broken and i get the famous "i cannot start the x server blah blah" error.

- with 6xxx drivers i still can't get past the splash screen.

i've had bad 2d performance with my former laptop which had an ATI graphics adapter, thus i decided to get one with a NVIDIA adapter this time, and i have an absolute mess in my hands now.. any help is very much appreciated.
23meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 11:45 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Geforce Go6200 + 2.6.11 + xorg = freeze on Gnome startup / X crash

23meg,
From my understanding of the problems that you described, you seem to be running into issues with both the nv & nvidia X drivers, which suggests an overall stability problem. Have you verified whether a newer BIOS is available for your laptop?

Also, please generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log for review against the 1.0-7676 driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote