Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-05, 01:41 PM   #1
chimi

Default 3d driver on debian sarge

Sorry guys, the thing was like this when the server at my job went down till today...
I posted:
I've downloaded the 1.0-7167 to 7667 drivers and downloaded and installed the kernel sources for my configuration, configured it and it still does not install the module, I just can't get to do it. The error is as follows: It says it failed to load nvidia.ko which probably is because the sources I used are not my kernel's (but I'm sure they are). My kernel is 2.6.8-2-686-smp. If anyone knows a solution for this please tell me.
Thanx beforehand

So Netllama posted:
Default Re: 3d driver on debian sarge
chimi,
Please post your /var/log/nvidia-installer.log. Also, can you clarify what you meant what you said "probably is because the sources I used are not my kernel's (but I'm sure they are)". How can the sources not be your kernel's, yet be your kernel's at the same time?

Thanks,
Lonni

And I reply to that :
I haven't the log right now, but clarifying the confussion, the installer said that the headers were not my kernel's, I am the one that is sure they are...
I will reinstall debian sarge from 0 with kernel 2.6.8-2-686 instead 2.6.8-2-686-smp 'cause I smell trouble with this one, try again and tell you what happened
A question: how come there is no standard installer for debian that works just like the others? is it a kernel incompatibility problem??
Thanx
chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 02:07 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 3d driver on debian sarge

You'd need to talk to the Debian developers about a 'standard installer'. I've successfully installed the official nvidia driver package on Debian in the past without any problems.

I'd still need to see you /var/log/nvidia-installer.log to comment on what your exact problem might be.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote