Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-02, 04:12 PM   #1
volt

Default Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

I thought I'd share my experience because I think it's worth to try.
After following this tutorial you should be able to fireup *most* Windows based applications and games.

This is a bit different from borgzilla's post. I will go into more detail on installing and configuring WineX emulator.

First you need to grab CVS version (or if you have a stable version of WineX, preferably in tarball format)

Log into your X server environment using your username (not root). Then open up a terminal and type:

NOTE: if you already have a tarball version of WineX you can skip the first step.

Your first step is to log into CVS server:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login

It will ask you for a password so just press ENTER.
Now you need to grab the latest files (it may take a while)
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine

(You should end up in /home/<username>/wine)
NOTE: you need to substitute <username> for your username of course :)

Your second step would be compiling WineX.

In README they say that you should use the installation script from ./tools/wineinstall but we won't :) Being still in /home/<username>/wine let's configure it:

./configure

(Using ./configure -help will list different parameters you could use)
NOTE: If you compile from the WineX source and don't specify any arguments in ./configure, all dll's will be dumped to /usr/local/lib. You DON'T have to specify anything in ./configure if you don't want to, but you will have to change one thing after installation.

After the configuration process type:

make depend && make

(This may take upto an hour depending on your CPU/RAM)

During the third step you will HAVE to install WineX with root privileges because ldconfig will be ran in the end, so type:

su root
<ENTER password>
(You should still be in /home/<username>/wine

Now let's install WineX:

make install

All the files will be copied and ldconfig will start. As I mentioned above if you didnt specify anything in ./configure, you will get an error trying to fireup a Windows application. In other words executing: wine /home/volt/.wine/c_drive/mIRC/mIRC.exe will most likely produce: "Error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so"

In order to fix that, you need to temper with /etc/ld.so.conf
Using root privileges edit ld.so.conf (I used 'pico /etc/ld.so.conf', but you can use whatever editor you like). It is possible that the dynamic linker simply doesn't know to look for the dll's. It will look into /lib or /usr/lib but not usr/local/lib. So open ld.so.conf with your favorite editor and add /usr/local/lib path to it. It should work now.

No...we are not done :D

Your third step is pretty simple :)
We will now configure WineX in your home directory. We need to make couple of folders:

mkdir /home/<username>/.wine
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows/system
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows/system32
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files
or
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program_files

NOTE: Do NOT change the system paths, though you may change the 'program files' path to something else.

Now we need to copy a sample config file from CVS directory ./wine/documentation/samples/config to your /home/<username>/.wine directory:

cp /home/<username>/wine/documentation/samples/config /home/<username>/.wine

Being still root, edit the file that you have copied:

pico /home/<username>/.wine/config (or whatever editor you prefer)

Now go down to:

[Drive C]
"Path" = "${HO****/.wine/c_drive/" "
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Windows Drive"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

(Make your [Drive C] section look like the above)

Now go to [Registry] section and make sure
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "Y"
Than there are different settings, which I will not get into (it's specified in the documents). You can choose specific settings for each application ex:

[AppDefaults\\quake3.exe\\x11drv]
"Managed" = "Y"
"Desktop" = "1024x768"

This will tell WineX to fireup Quake III in a window @ 1024x768

Now we need to create a registry. Go into your WineX CVS directory (/home/<username>/wine) and type:

./programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg

This will create a file in /home/<username/.wine

NOTE: I did not have to edit anything else, though you may if you want to change the system paths and other stuff :)

LET'S PLAY ALREADY!

Okay so you can install the game from CD-ROM into /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive or fire it up from your FAT32 drive (Note I did not experiment with NTFS partitions because it's dangerous). If you are not confident just install the game on your Linux drive :)

I will be installing Quake III:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
wine setup.exe (or whatever the setup is called)

This will fireup the installation process. By default it will install the game in C:\Program Files\Quake III (I think). Don't worry it's actually installing the game in /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files (where c_drive is C:\)

Once it's installed let's play it :)
If you want to start a game with parameters type:
wine -- c:\\program files\\Quake III\quake3.exe -nocdaudio -nojoy +mlook (-- is used when you want to specify a parameter)

If you don't want parameters than just go into /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files/Quake III
and type:

wine quake3.exe

Voila!
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 01-01-03 at 12:32 PM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 10:50 AM   #2
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid

If you are having problems compiling with WineX you my want to look to here for some solutions. Scroll farther down the page.
BTW, does WineX work with NT/2000/XP version of Windows, I know wine won't but will WineX?
Old 12-28-02, 11:18 AM   #3
volt

What would be the purpose of Wine/WineX under Windows?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 12-28-02, 01:57 PM   #4
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid

No, I meant can it use a NT/2000/XP windows installation for DLLs and the such instead of Fake Windows, so I don't have to reboot to play a game.
Old 12-28-02, 02:22 PM   #5
volt

WineX comes with its own DLL files. It works with Windows 9x and up. As I explained above, you can either play from your Windows partition (by mounting the partition from /dev into /mnt) or you can simply install an application/game onto your linux partition and play directly from it.

Old 01-01-03, 04:27 AM   #6
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom
Default Re: Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Now you need to grab the latest files (it may take a while)
cvs -z3 -d: pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine
"pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex"

should be

"pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex"

BTW, must all my .wine folders be setup in the /home/ dir. and not /root ?
Old 01-01-03, 12:39 PM   #7
volt

Default Re: Re: Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

Quote:
Originally posted by doom
"pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex"

should be

"pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex"

BTW, must all my .wine folders be setup in the /home/ dir. and not /root ?
Oops sorry! Changed!
Thanks doom

No but in my example I put it in /home/<user> becuase I'm the user and I would like to be able to actually play from that dir. Why? Because users don't have permission to access or modify /root nor other folders. In /home/<user> you can do whatever you want (read/write/compile/execute). I think I know where you are going hehe (not enough space in /home ?)

I never use the root account unless I have to (installing, compiling globally etc). You should not either. If you want you could create a folder .wine in /root just like in /home/<user> with all the wine subfolders), than you could change the permission on that folder to let's say 777 (being root type: chmod 777 /root/.wine) Now you should be able to use that directory instead of /home/<user>/.wine

Old 01-20-03, 12:58 AM   #8
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

[root@mdoc-km-244-55-249 wine]# /programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg
bash: /programs/regapi/regapi: No such file or directory

I did exactly everything you specified in your guide so far, and it says that when i type ./programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg

Please help. i will leave terminal open at its current state. i wont close it so i can continue on later.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-03, 01:15 AM   #9
lmetza

i went to install warcraft 3 and i got this.

[dan@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]$ wine install.exe
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I added /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf with vim (i didnt have pico) i even added it to the top and i tried the bottom, no work. Please help me, i getting sofrustrated with all this stuff.....

Last edited by lmetza; 01-20-03 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 02:13 AM   #10
lmetza

well i fixed the error about the shared file, but i still cant make the registry.

I went to install warcraft 3 again and now itsays this

[root@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]# wine install.exe
wineserver: chdir /root/.wine : No such file or directory

I did everything by your guide, i dont understand why it doesnt work

Last edited by lmetza; 01-20-03 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 02:26 AM   #11
lmetza

rrr. i get anotehr step further , now this.

wineserver: mkdir wineserver-mdoc-km-244-55-249.monarch.net : Permission denied

permission denied for what?, this is really annoying

Last edited by lmetza; 01-20-03 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 02:52 AM   #12
lmetza

K, frick, pain in the arse, i had to reset all folder permissions for /home/dan/.wine and all fodlers withing .wine (they where all set for root and not dan) so i couldent access them, Now i have this fonts problem, I copyed my Fonts folder over from my XP system but then i got this error. (first time it couldent find fonts) so what does it do when i give it the fonts, it spits em back at me...
well i go to sleep
I copyed and pasted this stupid error, please let me know how to fix this one, It shouldnt really be that hard, somethings messed (i hope not too bad)

err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/roman.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/script.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.
[dan@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]$