Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-05, 01:26 PM   #1
jlacroix

Default VERY URGENT: Nvidia LGX Fails To Load

I compiled a fresh kernel from www.kernel.org, version 2.6.13.1. I removed the nvidia driver before installing it. When I booted up the kernel for the first time, I installed the latest kernel at the time of this writing from this site. I ran a "sudo modprobe nvidia" then "startx" and it worked for a while.

Then, out of nowhere, I was dumped to a blue screen asking me if it should start another x session, I said no, and I was back at my desktop. This kept repeating many times until I just rebooted.

When I rebooted, I was greeted with the Nvidia logo. Great, I thought. Then, I was dumped to the commandline. The nvidia logo appeared again, and I was dumped to the command line again. This repeated 3 times until it said that it could not startx.

I tried running "sudo modprobe nvidia" then "startx" several times, but it just repeats the nvidia logo loop above. I am now switched back to driver nv for a while. I hate the nv driver.

Attached are some files. Hopefully they help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (15.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: txt Xorg_0_log.txt (42.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: txt xorg_conf.txt (3.3 KB, 112 views)
jlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 05:36 PM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: VERY URGENT: Nvidia LGX Fails To Load

Well for starters the log you provided is when you were running Xorg with the "nv" driver and not the "nvidia" driver. Glx should not work with the "nv" driver.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 05:48 PM   #3
jlacroix

I intended for the logs to be with the nvidia driver. When I am using the nvidia driver I cannot get to any config files at all.
Old 09-15-05, 05:53 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

jlacroix,
Please generate & attach an nvidia-bug-report.log immediately after X fails to start with the glx module.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 06:12 PM   #5
jlacroix

How do I generate this report? Is there a command?
Old 09-15-05, 06:17 PM   #6
jlacroix

I am typing this from another computer...

Now its worse. A few minutes before my last post I uninstalled the driver, then reinstalled it. When X wants to start, I get a "Yinyang screen" where the bottom half is white and the top half is black. When I press any key, the black screen goes to something asking me if I want to view the errors. I say yes, and I checked the whole thing, and no errors at all. Then it asks me if I want to view detailed output, I press enter to say yes, and I scanned the whole thing, no error messages at all. The last thing it says is (II) Initializing extension GLX. (That's the bottom most line).
Old 09-15-05, 06:19 PM   #7
jlacroix

Now I typed "sudo modprobe nvidia" and then "startx" and the yinyang screen appears and the machine hard locks.

Forgot to mention that the nvidia driver works fine until I reboot. I checked dmesg and no errors at all. I think theres a big mistake in the driver somewhere.
Old 09-15-05, 06:23 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Per the NVIDIA README, you can generate the bug report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 09-15-05, 06:32 PM   #9
jlacroix

I didn't know it was that easy. Sorry. Here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.txt (84.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-15-05, 06:52 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

jlacroix,
Can you please try a test for me, and resintall 1.0-7676. Then try starting X with the glx module activated in your xorg.conf. Also, have you ever installed anything other than the official NVIDIA driver package (such as a debian nvidia driver package)?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-15-05, 06:59 PM   #11
Lithorus

Hmm.. exodus wouldn't happen to be some kind of third party kernel patch?
Anyway the Xorg log seems perfectly fine. Did you run startx or a login manager? If startx was that as root?
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 07:00 PM   #12
jlacroix

I did as you asked. I reinstalled the driver after putting driver nvidia in my xorg.conf. I ran "startx" again and it works. I tested Tuxracer and it runs full speed. Keep in mind though, that this is the same pattern as before because the problem happens when I restart. So I haven't restarted yet, and I'm afraid to.

Edit: Yes, I at one time did have the debian nvidia-glx package installed. I removed it before installing the official driver, however. Just in case I did another removal on it even though I had already removed it.