Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-05, 10:35 AM   #37
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution's "revolutionary" controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Look man, I read the article...and it just seems hokey.

I know that I would totally hate it, and it just does not seem suitable for the kinds of games that I play. I am also thinking you'll have to get the extra dongle for "ninchaku" mode as a seperate accessory...for games like Metroid prime.
That I don't know. I agree it would be stupid if it were a seperate accessory. But it does seem, from that trailer that was posted, as if the analog attachment is bundled with the controller. That's just a guess of course, but it seems silly that they would spend so much time highlighting it in the trailer to have it as a seperate accessory.
Quote:
If it were bundled with the unit, then ok hey it might be alright. If not, then it's a horrible flaming train wreck, and the only real adult application for this kind of controller is...well....adult content
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "adult" application here.
Quote:
The sword thing is cool, and honestly it might open up some innovative fighting combos. However developers aren't going to be a fan of this thing, and neither are the bigger studios who budget on "risk" as the revolution will be a high risk system. While this may churn out innovation, it's only going to be in tiny morsels..and I hope to god that it's enough revenue to keep Nintendo afloat...really...I do.
Yeah I totally agree here. Third party support is critical for this system and Nintendo's future in home consoles. I could very easily see many companies looking at this as a high-risk platform. It will take a very successful marketing campaign as well as early adopters with great testimonies to get a lot of people backing this system. And let's be honest - Japanese are the ones who will line up behind this system. I doubt American publishers are going to be too enthusiastic about it (especially EA, but that's hardly a bad thing).
Quote:
I'm just cynical is all, and this whole thing I'm taking with a grain of salt as to its accuracy, reliability, and popularity.
Well OK then. I can't say I didn't raise my eyebrows when I saw the thing.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 11:04 AM   #38
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
That I don't know. I agree it would be stupid if it were a seperate accessory. But it does seem, from that trailer that was posted, as if the analog attachment is bundled with the controller. That's just a guess of course, but it seems silly that they would spend so much time highlighting it in the trailer to have it as a seperate accessory.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "adult" application here.

Yeah I totally agree here. Third party support is critical for this system and Nintendo's future in home consoles. I could very easily see many companies looking at this as a high-risk platform. It will take a very successful marketing campaign as well as early adopters with great testimonies to get a lot of people backing this system. And let's be honest - Japanese are the ones who will line up behind this system. I doubt American publishers are going to be too enthusiastic about it (especially EA, but that's hardly a bad thing).

Well OK then. I can't say I didn't raise my eyebrows when I saw the thing.
By "adult" application, I mean pr0n simulators...jokingly of course......

Otherwise, yeah you're pretty spot on. If EA had no affiliation with revolution whatsoever, that wouldn't be a bad thing, it'd be a great thing.

If it's bundled with the analog, and some really clever fun titles show up then great I'll probably buy it.

I don't think N would be stupid enough not to bundle it, but I wouldn't put it past them though.

Who knows though, if they have a killer app, might turn them around.
Old 09-16-05, 12:02 PM   #39
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
By "adult" application, I mean pr0n simulators...jokingly of course......
Of course.
Quote:
Otherwise, yeah you're pretty spot on. If EA had no affiliation with revolution whatsoever, that wouldn't be a bad thing, it'd be a great thing.
No kidding. Even if the launch titles are sparse and the system only sees a few killer apps in its lifetime, it'll be all the sweeter without EA shovelling a mound of rushed, bug-ridden crap into the channel.
Quote:
If it's bundled with the analog, and some really clever fun titles show up then great I'll probably buy it.

I don't think N would be stupid enough not to bundle it, but I wouldn't put it past them though.
Yeah, we'll just have to see on that one. Clever and fun titles are going to make or break the system, that's for sure. They really need creative developers to sign on for this one. It has a lot of potential.
Quote:
Who knows though, if they have a killer app, might turn them around.
Personally I'd prefer to see it in the form of a new game, instead of another franchise title. Not that I don't love Nintendo franchises, but something new would be nice. I'm still in awe of how great God of War was.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 09-16-05, 12:25 PM   #40
|MaguS|

So much love for GUComics!

Old 09-16-05, 12:40 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Heh heh that's pretty good.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 09-16-05, 01:43 PM   #42
Zelda_fan

Hmm

This controller could actually be pretty cool when you think about it. It seems to me it would be a lot more intuative to just "point" and shoot rather than use a analog stick to aim. Not only that, but turn the controller 90 degrees and you have an old school nes controller (for the old school NES games they are going to bring back to the revolution). Also, there is a port on the bottom and you can plug in a "classic" style controller if you prefer.

At any rate, it's success will entirely depend on how games take advantage of it.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 02:26 PM   #43
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Here we go again... Nintendo is relying on gimmicks to try and raise some interest in the Revolution. So pathetic!
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 03:51 PM   #44
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
Here we go again... Nintendo is relying on gimmicks to try and raise some interest in the Revolution. So pathetic!
Worst part... many Nintendo fanboys are actually excited about this... it looks like a freaking TV remote... how was this a revolution? The button layout is terrible, aswell.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-05, 07:40 PM   #45
DEaD_IRiS

I think the success or failure of the controller is going to largely depend on how "tight" the controls are. If it smacks of the eye toy then it is going down in flames. If it is "tight" then it will be up to nintendo to create entertaining games for it.

From what i gleamed from the reviewer it sounded like it still needed some work.
DEaD_IRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 08:39 PM   #46
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

Does the sensor on the front mean that it won't work with rear-projection TVs like most light-guns?
Old 09-16-05, 08:58 PM   #47
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

The more I see that controller the more I think it may indeed be a revolution if so much interaction can really be taken advantage of. If Nintendo can get anyone else besides there in house devs to put that controller to good use they may be on to something great. Also there will be a shell or sorts so you can play games on the revolution in a regular fashion.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

Also a pretty twisted and funny swf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...edown/revo.swf
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 05:53 AM   #48
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceDeityLink
Does the sensor on the front mean that it won't work with rear-projection TVs like most light-guns?
Sensor doesn't work with the TV but rather with two devices that are put on top of the TV, alot like the Power Glove.