Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-05, 11:07 PM   #1
Hiko

Default Nvidia Driver Update Failed

Aloha.
I installed the nvidia update by doing yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-`(uname -r)` and then my computer boots and jhangs. after that.....
I went in through the linux rescue mode on the DVD and booted up. After that I modified the inittab using vi to boot to runlevel 3. Removed the DVD and rebooted. Entered runlevel 3 and logged in as root. Then went to /mnt/sysimage/etc/X11 and modified the xorg.conf using vi to read "nv" vice "nvidia". Typed "startx" and everything worked good. logged out and then "exit"d out of command prompt. Logged in as normal user and did a startx again. World is cool. It works and everything seems fine. Thinking I was good at this point went back to the command prompt out of X and then did less on both the inittab and xorg.conf. Still runlevel 3 and still "nv". Modified the inittab to put it back to runlevel 5 using vi. Saved and rebooted. Computers hangs with a blank screen. Ctrl-Alt-F# does not work nor does Ctrl-Alt-backspace. hardbooted and then booted off of DVD again. Mod'd inittab to go back to runlevel 3. Rebooted. Exited and rebooted. Logged in as root and went to xorg.conf. It now says "nvidia"...?! Changed that back to "nv". Exited as root and logged back in as normal user..startx....works. nvidia driver is in there because I did the yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-`(uname -r)` Anyone have any ideas? Also, can I do a yum remove? Will that get whatever is changing my xorg.conf out? Any place I can go to figure out what the yum install did exactly and try to undo it? And last, how can I figure out why this nvidia update is not working on my system? Any advice is appreciated.
Mahalo.
Edward
Hiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 02:57 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Nvidia Driver Update Failed

Edward,
Is this FC4? If so, did you disable SELinux before you installed the NVIDIA driver by running 'setenforce 0'? Also, please post an nvidia-bug-report.log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 11:16 PM   #3
Hiko

Aloha Lonni,
Yes it is Fedora Core 4. No I didn't disable Selinux so that maybe the issue. I have uninstalled the driver using yum remove nvidia....at this point and my xorg.conf shows "nv" now so I am back in X. I need to investigate how to get that bug report. I am a little new so please be patient with me. Nvidia cards are very high quality and it works well. I am certain at this point it is likely something I didn't do like the Selinux thing. Also, I would like to note that it came in a BFG Tech bundle. Not sure that makes a difference. I will investigate and see if I got a bug report. If not I will try and do the install with selinux off.
Mahalo
Edward
Old 09-17-05, 12:46 AM   #4
Hiko

Aloha Lonni,
Ok here is what I did as best I can recount it.
Modified inittab to boot to runlevel 3. Saved and rebooted. Logged in as root. Did "setenforce 0". cd'd to directory that had nvidia.run. Ran "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run". Everything installed ok it seemed. The installer had to compile a kernel module. I have everything installed so no issues there. After it completed got out and cd'd to /etc/X11 and modified the xorg.conf. Only thing I need to cahne was to comment out one line # Load "dri". Saved and exited. Rebooted back to runlevel 3. Logged in as normal user. Did "startx" and no joy. Black screen and hdd light on solid. Att his point selinux may have been back on, I don't know. Also, I did login as a normal user. Ok. Rebooted back to runlevel 3 and from there edited the xorg.conf and commented out the following lines:
#Section "DRI"
# Group 0
# Mode 0666
#EndSection
Saved everything and then rebooted. Logged in as a normal user and tried again. No joy. Rebooted and at runlevel 3 as root did nvidia-installer --uninstall and removed it. Modified xorg.conf and rebooted. Logged in as normal user and did "startx" it all worked. Changed inittab back to runlevel 5 and rebooted. X started fine. Came here and posted this. Ok. I don't know how to get that bug report. Can you post a little on that. I did a little research on the net and couldn't find how to do it. I will continue to look into it.
Mahalo
Edward
Old 09-17-05, 04:37 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Edward,
Please disable SELinux before you (re)install the NVIDIA driver by running 'setenforce 0'. You can re-enable it (if you wish) afterwards by running 'setenforce 1'.

A bug report can be generated as root by running nvidia-bug-report.sh.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-18-05, 07:44 PM   #6
Hiko

Lonni,
Ok, as before, I sat inittab to runlevel 3. Rebooted. Logged in as root. Did "setenforce 0". Cd'd to the directory with the NVIDIA-Linux and ran it using the instrictions in the readme. It installed but had to compile a module. One wasn't included and it couldn't get one off the ftp site. It compiled and update and was sucessful. Back at prompt went to /etc/X11 and modified xorg.conf using instructions in readme. Only thing I need to change was to comment out one line to # Load "dri". Saved, exited and got back to prompt. Typed "startx". Computer hung. Tried ctl-alt-backspace, ctl-alt-f1 and ctl-alt-f2. No joy. Powered off then back on. Logged in as root. Did "setenforce 0". Copied nvidia-bug-report.log and /var/log/nividia-install.log to my home directory. Did and nvidia-installer --uninstall. Changed xorg.conf back to original. Did "startx" it worked fine. Changed inittab to runlevel 5 and rebooted. Logged in as a normal user and wrote this. Attached nvidia-bug-report-log.txt and nvidia-installer-log.txt
I hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks for the help.
Mahalo.
Edward
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report-log.txt (74.7 KB, 183 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-installer-log.txt (20.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 09-18-05, 07:53 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Unfortunately the bug report isn't showing anything obvious other than your system is locking up while X is performing modeline validation.

What kind of motherboard are you using?
Have you verified that you have the most recent BIOS installed?
Can you try booting with the acpi=off and noapic kernel options and see if they have any impact?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-18-05, 11:23 PM   #8
Hiko

Lonni,
In reply,
>What kind of motherboard are you using?
Salmon (K8S-LA) in a COMPAQ Presario SR1320NX Desktop.
>Have you verified that you have the most recent BIOS installed?
Yes. There are no newer version at the Compaq Site..
>Can you try booting with the acpi=off and noapic kernel options and see if they have any >impact?
I will try. Not sure how I can do that though. But I will investigate. Could you post ahint on where to get that apci set to off.
Mahalo
Edward

Old 09-19-05, 10:25 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You can append those options to the end of the 'kernel' line in /etc/grub.conf.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-21-05, 11:40 PM   #10
Hiko

Lonni,
Ok did the following:
Modified grub.cong to add the following:
"kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet noapic acpi=off"
Modified inittab to reflect the following:
id:3:initdefault:
After that I rebooted.
Logged in as root.
Did "setenforce 0"
cd to my home directory
"sh NVIDIA-Linux..."
It had to compile the module. Didn't have one and didn't get one via ftp.
Install appeared to work fine.
Modified xorg.conf to comment out load "dri" line and changed "nv" to "nvidia"
Saved and rebooted.
Logged in as root
Did "setenforce 0"
Logged out and back in as normal user.
"startx" fails and kicks back to the cli.
Uninstalled and modified xorg.conf back to original, rebooted, logged in normal user and startx works.
This is part from the xorf.conf.old, I will attach the xorg.conf.old:
(II) LoadModule: "nvdia"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvdia
(II) UnloadModule: "nvdia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvdia" (module does not exist, 0)

I hope this was what you meant with the spci and apic options in the grub.conf and hope it makes sense to you.
Mahalo,
Edward
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.old.txt (14.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 09-22-05, 10:37 AM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The error that I'm seeing in the log you attached is that the nvidia driver is not installed.

-Lonni
Old 10-01-05, 06:57 PM   #12
Hiko

Lonni,
On a Salmon (K8S-LA) in a COMPAQ Presario SR1320NX Desktop.
With no newer version of BIOS..Using Fedora Core 4 as root with kernel 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 I backed up inittab to inittab.original then using vim changed to boot to runlevel 3.
Backed up grub.conf to grub.conf.original and modified the grub.conf to set "acpi=off" and "noapic"
Backed up xorg.conf to xorg.conf.origin
Rebooted.
Logged in as root and disabled selinux by doing "setenforce 0"
CD to the directory with the NVIDIA-Linux driver and ran it using the instructions in the readme by doing "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run"
It needed to compile a custom kernel module.
"If one cannot be downloaded, either because of network connectivity or because one is not provided, the installer will check your system for the required kernel sources and compile the interface for you. If the installer must compile the kernel interface, you must install the kernel-sources package for your kernel."
Install went OK
CD /etc/X11
Edited xorg.conf
Removed the line:
Driver "nv"
and replaced it with the line:
Driver "nvidia"
Removed the following lines:
Load "dri"
In the "Module" section of the file, add the line (if it does not already
exist, it was there):
Load "glx"
Did "startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5"
X Worked.
Using vim changed inittab back to runlevel 5.
Rebooted and back into X
Edited grub.conf to take out apci=off and noapic and rebooted.
Xcomes up fine and everything seems good.
noapic apci=off and setenforce 1 at this time.
It seems that maybe I wasn't doing everything right or in the right order. I am not sure but I got it rocking now and it looks great. Thank you for your patience and help. I truly appreciate it.
Mahalo,
Edward