Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-02, 11:59 PM   #1
skawave187

Default Proper Driver Removal?

How do I remove the 4191s? I want to revert back to the previous drivers until nvidia corrects the 2D issue...thanks in advance
skawave187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 06:04 AM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Just run rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX then rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel. This is assuming you installed the drivers using RPM's.

Then reinstall the older version as you did the 4191 version.

If you installed using TAR's.. I can't help you there, as I very rarely use TAR's when RPM's are available..

If you wish to go back to the kernel default drivers, edit your XF86Config back to 'nv' instead of 'nvidia'.
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 07:23 AM   #3
salimfadhley

Send a message via Yahoo to salimfadhley

It's actually easier to downgrade if you are using a tar.gz installation than if you were using RPM.

You do NOT have to delete newer driver files if you want to revert to an older version - the mere act of going through the install routine will cause the files you wish to get rid of to be over-written.

I recomend using the Tar.gz install anyway because it tends to be quicker and means you can get away with using kernels other than the 'stock' kernels that Nvidia supports.
Old 12-29-02, 04:51 AM   #4
vorpal

Just to add my 2c...

I personally prefer the .src.rpms, because:
1) they allow me to recompile for my custom kernels
2) they have always (since 1541) installed and uninstalled cleanly for me (via rpm), making the right adjustments to /etc/modules.conf AND saving and restoring MESA files correctly.

My guess as to uninstalling .rpm or .src.rpm would be:

#first stop X (log out to a console), then
su
#i.e. become root, then...
rpm -qa | grep NV -
#... query all in the rpm database, grep will find the NVIDIA* packages.
#Finally rpm -e the installed packages... such as:
rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191
rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191
#remove GLX first, it depends on kernel

Finally, edit XF86Config-4 to:
Driver "nv"
rather than:
Driver "nvidia"

And I think that's it. You may wish to check that the relevant aliases are removed from /etc/module.conf, and that the Mesa files (if any) moved aside by rpm have been resotred, but these seem to happen automatically for me.

Have done quite a few installs/uninstalls lately with the 4191 release - I'm considering making a script to let me select nvidia drivers vs kernel drivers at X startup
vorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 12:02 AM   #5
salimfadhley

Send a message via Yahoo to salimfadhley

This is true, and I used to use SRPMS for exactly the same reason untill I discovered...

1. You can recompile for a custom kernel in fewer steps with the tar.gz files.

Unpack the tar file.
Run make install

2. You can un-install just by deleting the 'nvdriver' file from your /lib/modukes/xxxx/ folder. Of course, this is a bad place to accidentally type 'rm -rf *'

As you correctly point out, you still have to manually edit your config files, so there is very little time saving using RPMs.

I did not realise that the Nvidia installer actually moves files from the distro (e.g. mesa) - this would be a very good reason for doing it your way... if that's true then Nvidia have been very naughty by messing about with the distro!

I sinceerly hope that soon none of this will be an issue because the next major kernel release will no longer allow binary drivers - forcing naughty companies like Nvidia and ATI to release source code if they want their cards to work with linux...

Of course this pre-supposes that Linux will ever become popular enough to push the likes of Nvidia and ATI around!

:-)