Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-05, 09:32 AM   #1
Ruined

Default New Nintendo controller defeats purpose of console gaming?

A lot of people play games when they have some free time and want to relax - often they are tired, burnt out from work, etc, and just want to lay down, chill out, and play a game.

But think about it, this is not really possible when using the new Nintendo controller. When laying down on your side or on your stomach (common positions for playing games when not sitting), your arms and hands have a limited range of motion. In addition to that, keeping your arms outstretched and 6" apart link - the positioning required to use the new Nintendo controller - is uncomfortable and quickly fatiguing when laying on your side/stomach. On top of all this, the outcome of your success in the game depends on your physical positioning. So if you just want to kick back, lay down, and game, you will probably get sore arms and frustrated using the new Nintendo controller.

One of the major advantages of using a console over a PC is that you are able to relax on your couch and play a game. (on a PC you need to sit/stand to operate a keyboard/mouse). This advantage is lost with the new Nintendo controller, as you will be restricted to certain positions similar to a PC (probably sitting or standing) in order to succeed at the game without giving yourself muscle cramps.

In addition, there likely will be no option to use a standard controller for games that are made for the gyro-remote Nintendo controller - it would be similar to trying to play Nintendogs or Pac-Pix without a touchscreen - and developing two entirely different gameplay mechanics for both the gyro-remote and a controller would be too costly.

So for many, I think the new Nintendo controller may defeat one of the purposes of gaming - the "chill" factor - as now you will need to be seated in a position where both arms/hands have full range of motion and will not get tired from frequent motion or being outstretched. Impractical, to say the least.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 10:16 AM   #2
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: New Nintendo controller defeats purpose of console gaming?

You don't know ANY of that. "Try it before you bash it"...I'm sick of saying that, but once again it applies. Why is everyone so quick to attack Nintendo in any way they can? I don't get it, it's really weird.

And "gyro-remote"? That's not how it works - you got it confused with one of the rumors floating around. Try actually reading the article next time. There's absolutely no reason to think that this controller won't be comfortable to use until we either get a chance to get our hands on it or some reviewers do and have something negative to say about it (which the few who have seen it have said nothing but positive things).

Oh and: http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

So there goes that argument.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 10:29 AM   #3
PikachuMan

Remember, we haven't actually seen any games out yet, just some speculation on the possibilites that could be done with controller. I'm sure you realize that the people over at nintendo have thought about the whole fatigue factor, and no, they aren't going to make games that wear you out (unless this is what the game designer explicitly wants, as with eyetoy or DDR).

I say sit back, wait and see how the developers use it before making opinions on it.
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 01:45 PM   #4
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

I actually miss games that are FUN to play. I think that there is a slight chance the Revolution will have one of those (or even two )
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 04:18 PM   #5
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Pretty sure a standard controller is also usable so use that instead.
8 Gigs Kingston 1333 DD3
Asus VH238H 23" LED 2ms
WD 1TB Caviar Black 64MB cache SATA 6 Gb/s
CM Silent Pro 850 Watt

Band: http://www.myspace.com/hollowappostle
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 05:34 PM   #6
oldsk00l

I'm probably going to buy a revolution just for the gimmick.

If it turns out to be real cool, then I'll get more games, and be happy with it.

If you're too poor to afford buying one when they ship, then go demo one when it launches at a store.

Honestly my curiosity is really hammering at me about this whole thing, and given that Nintendo is THE BEST software developer at extracting the maximum amount of possible rendering ability from hardware I'm expecting early revolution titles to be right on par with PS3/Xbox 360.

Until the PS3/360 development methodologies improve and mature, it's all going to be about the same. No publisher is going to budget anything more than $10 for a game right now. They are not about to re-tool their teams and ask producers to milk the hardware for another 2 years either.

So for all we know, Nintendo might pull a nice rabbit out of their hat and exceed some of the launch titles graphically, since it's all or nothing with them (as it always has been).
Old 09-18-05, 07:43 PM   #7
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
"Try it before you bash it"
Its funny how I never hear you say that about non-Nintendo products...

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 03:42 AM   #8
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Ruined brought up valid points.

The principle of operation looks similar to some "3D mouses" currently developed for remote medical assistance. The heart of the problem is that you've to put extra work out of the wrists and arms.

The most natural position for arms and wrists to be relaxed is something like this: / \ and this is exactly the position offered by today joypads. The fact that they can be kept comfortably on the groin or laps relieves the body from extra stress of having the upper articulations lifted for prolongued periods of time.

A medic, friend of mine and also great FPS player, uses to keep the keyboard diagonal and as low as possible when playing. Out of curiosity I tried. Well, after I got used to the new position, to my great surprise, I found out this layout to be much less fatiguating to the arms and wrists allowing me to play for longer periods of time.

The point is... the new revolution controller offers new level of interactivity but as soon as the novelty effect wears out, the true problems will emerge and people will complain and go back to the old controllers.