Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-02, 07:01 PM   #1
cougyr

Default linux/modversions.h

I am unable to install the nvidia kernel because my kernel source lacks linux/modversions.h

So, what's the story? Can I create this file? Or do I have to get it from somewhere?
Old 08-10-02, 09:42 AM   #2
Thunderbird

This error appears because of the following reason. Most linux systems have a dir called /usr/include/linux. That dir contains linux headers from glibc and they are for compatibility with older and newer linux kernels. (generic linux headers)

That did doesn't contain a modversions.h file because those headers aren't meant for compiling kernel modules. You need to install the kernel headers/source for your distro. (will be in /usr/src)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 05:48 PM   #3
ashoksagar

I am using debian woody and whenever I try to compile the kernel-source i get the above error also. What files do I have to move form /usr/src for the compiling to work?
Old 08-14-02, 10:12 PM   #4
cougyr

Hi ashoksagar. The kernel creates modversions.h. There are a couple of things to do. First, put a clean kernel source (one that has never been used) into /usr/src/.

Next, do updatedb. This is important to enable your kernel compile to find everything.

Then log in as root. Don't use su & a password. Log out of your usual wm and log back in as root. Then compile your clean kernel source.

This is the sum of advice that was given to me, and it worked. Hope it helps you too.
Old 08-15-02, 01:33 AM   #5
ashoksagar

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have everything working now finally
after following mtrr's instructions at another thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=8240#post8240
Thank you all, guys and keep up the good work!
Old 08-15-02, 02:51 AM   #6
Thunderbird

cougyr updatedb is only for the locate command. It doesn't help the kernel for example to find extra files.

For the rest see my reply in the other thread for a better solution. (a full kernel source isn't needed)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote