Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-05, 10:56 PM   #1
Bratag

Default New Nvidia User

So I just switched from ATI to nvidia BFG 6800 GT OC. And I love the card - but I have issues. I have the latest drivers down from the web site and glxgears works - glx info shows the right info - enemy territory is hunky dory. Heck I can even play GTA San Andreas via cedega. The problem - every now and then - usually when trying to start half life 2 with cedega - bam - the machine reboots. Not crashes - I mean its as if someone hit the reset button.

Power supply I think to myself and so I drop in a top of the line 480 Watter. Bam same damn issue. So my question I guess (keeping in mind I have googled for this and searched this forum). Is this a known bug. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bratag

OK after some more searching it looks like this may be a known issue with the drivers. Ahh well at least nvidia arent perfect as well - though they didnt cause machine reboots.
Bratag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 10:55 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: New Nvidia User

This is not a known issue, at least to the extent that there are no open bugs for this problem, and it has not been reproduced by NVIDIA.

Are these reboots predictable in any way, or are they always completely random?
Do you have a means of setting up a serial console to see if any kernel messages are generated at the time of the reboot?
Do you have the most recent BIOS for your motherboard applied?

Also, please generate and post a bug report, preferably immediately after the next time your system spontaneously reboots.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 12:15 PM   #3
Bratag

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
This is not a known issue, at least to the extent that there are no open bugs for this problem, and it has not been reproduced by NVIDIA.

Are these reboots predictable in any way, or are they always completely random?
Do you have a means of setting up a serial console to see if any kernel messages are generated at the time of the reboot?
Do you have the most recent BIOS for your motherboard applied?

Also, please generate and post a bug report, preferably immediately after the next time your system spontaneously reboots.

Thanks,
Lonni
The reboots are somewhat predictable. They fall into one of two categories.

1) Starting HL2 or some other 3d intensive app. Some 3d apps seem to work (KOTOR II, GTA SA) just fine while others cause an immediate crash. I am using cedega to run HL2 and have run it fine under my ATI card so this is definately a nvidia new thing.
2) I run a 3d app and it runs just fine. When I quit the app and try start another 3d app - reboot

Since the reboot is immediate - it doesnt leave logs. Can you tell me perhaps how to generate debugging logs perhaps?

Also if you have any other suggestions about what it could be I can try eliminate them. Could it be bad memory on the graphics card?. I don't seem to have the same issues with the games in windows.

My Config is as follows

Centos 4.0
Xorg 6.8.2
BFG 6800 GT OC
Dimension 9100 with Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU.

Lastly could this be a problem with some ATI driver components on the system. ATI in their infinite wisdom chose not to include a way to uninstall the package in their installer. So I am not sure I got everything.
Old 09-21-05, 12:48 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you've got another system, you can setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when the reboot happens. Setting up a serial console is not difficult, however it requires a 2nd system, as well as a serial cable (also known as a null modem cable).

Attach the serial cable to the serial ports of the two systems.

On your target system, add the following additional kernel parameters:
console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0

On the 2nd system, you can use 'screen' to capture the serial output:
screen /dev/ttyS0

Note that I referenced the first serial port, /dev/ttyS0, in my examples above. You
can grep dmesg output for ttyS to see if your systems are using a different serial port.

If everything is setup correctly, you should see the boot time output in the serial console, and then you should also be able to capture any kernel messages that are generated when the system crashes.

Can you check in the BIOS (also make sure that you have the latest) for something like 'execution protection' or anything else that suggests a means of preventing executing binaries?

Regardless, the next time this happens, boot into runlevel 3, and generate a bug report before you start X again.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-21-05, 10:34 PM   #5
Bratag

Quote:
If you've got another system, you can setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when the reboot happens. Setting up a serial console is not difficult, however it requires a 2nd system, as well as a serial cable (also known as a null modem cable).

Attach the serial cable to the serial ports of the two systems.

On your target system, add the following additional kernel parameters:
console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0

On the 2nd system, you can use 'screen' to capture the serial output:
screen /dev/ttyS0

Note that I referenced the first serial port, /dev/ttyS0, in my examples above. You
can grep dmesg output for ttyS to see if your systems are using a different serial port.

If everything is setup correctly, you should see the boot time output in the serial console, and then you should also be able to capture any kernel messages that are generated when the system crashes.

Can you check in the BIOS (also make sure that you have the latest) for something like 'execution protection' or anything else that suggests a means of preventing executing binaries?

Regardless, the next time this happens, boot into runlevel 3, and generate a bug report before you start X again.

Thanks,
Lonni
I have generated the bug report as requested and sent it to the email address it listed.
Thanks
Old 09-22-05, 09:43 AM   #6
Bratag

Ok a little more background on crashes (which I have to say are extremely annoying).

They occur when the screen goes from being black to having to display. They do not occur once the program has loaded and game is playing. Cut screens therefore can cause a crash.

My BIOS is the latest available from DELL.

I ran a full set of 3d tests in windows and experienced no problem, so I am leaning towards the drivers being the issue.

I am going to upgrade my kernel to the latest stable vanilla and re-install the drivers.

Would I be better with older drivers? If so can anyone recommend where to get them.
Old 09-22-05, 10:39 AM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Which model of Dell are you using?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-22-05, 12:00 PM   #8
Bratag

Quote:
Which model of Dell are you using?

Thanks,
Lonni
Dimension 9100. The BIOS version is A01 - its from Dells site, and its the latest they have - the chipset is a intel 945P. The BIOS is very cut down - there are no options for fast writes etc. I am trying to find a BIOS for the actual board that isnt from dell. The board however reports as a dell board so its difficult.

Old 09-22-05, 12:14 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Do you have a means of setting up a serial console?

-Lonni
Old 09-22-05, 12:16 PM   #10
Bratag

Quote:
Do you have a means of setting up a serial console?

-Lonni
I can try. I will see what I can do tonight. I do run at 1600x1200. Could that be a problem.
Old 09-23-05, 03:59 AM   #11
Bratag

Ok so I hooked up a serial console. However there was no kernel output. Let me explain that this reboot is not a gradual hang then reboot - its is an instant loss of the OS. As if someone had pulled the power cord and then plugged it back in. I do not believe the kernel has time to even record and event.

I will try a previous set of drivers tomorrow, however I have to say that this is becoming extremely annoying. ATI drivers might have sucked but they didnt keep rebooting my machine. Surely I cannot be the only person in the world with the BFG GT OC card and linux. Or is it the machine and not the card I should be looking at (Dimension 9100 Dell). Since everything seems ok under windows I can only assume this is a linux driver issue. My new 300 dollar card a liability under the main OS I use.

Please recreate this and solve it I can only think this will get worse not better as more people buy this machine (you can config it to have a 6800 card BTW)
Old 09-23-05, 12:00 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please look in the BIOS for the following:
Security -> Execute Disable. If yours is currently set to "On" please change it to "Off" and then update me on your status.

Thanks,
Lonni