Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-05, 07:24 AM   #1
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Default 6600gt vs ut2004

my system includes an xpertvision 6600gt 256mb pcie on dfi lanparty nf4 mboard running debian (sid)
im using kernel 2.6.12. and nvidia drivers 1.0-7676 with and amd64 4000+ and a gig of corsair ram.

the mboard is actually very good in linux, go the nf4 chipset. although tisk tisk on the pseudo raid. anyway.

now on the surface the video drivers work very well, older versions seemed to not like my card, but 7676 identifies it properly in nvidia-settings etc. 3d works well for glxgears, tuxracer and gltron with expected insane framerates on those simple (but amusing) games.

however

unreal tournament does _not_ work. im using 3355 and ive tried on both pure amd64 and a pure ia32 install, same software versions. same distribution.

what happens is the ut splash screen pops up as one expects, then the screen goes black (engaging 3d i imagine) and then the computer has frozen and sometimes reboots. cant shell in remotely or anything.

uts logs are empty, i assume because they arent being written (ext3) in time.

now if i run ut2004 in software it works fine (although nice and crappy graphics), sound, menus game play etc.

other people have reported ut as working with the same software versions on lesser cards.

so after working through all that i cant safely say something is wrong in the way ut talks to the nvidia drivers and the drivers to the card. (fair no?) so i hope the kind people at nvidia can help me please. and no im not willing to install windows :P thanks
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 08:27 AM   #2
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzort
what happens is the ut splash screen pops up as one expects, then the screen goes black (engaging 3d i imagine) and then the computer has frozen and sometimes reboots. cant shell in remotely or anything.
What happens if you underclock the card using nvidia-settings?
(set Option "Coolbits" "1" in the device section in xorg.conf and do
"nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1" before starting
nvidia-settings in graphical mode). If UT2004 works with 2D and 3D
clocks both set to i.e. 200 MHz, then i guess a more powerfull PSU might help.

Anyway, to understand "silent crashes" I recommend adding
"console=ttyS0,115200n8" to the kernel boot string (/boot/grub/menu.lst
or /etc/lilo.conf) and connecting COM1 to another PC using a null-modem
cable. Then run a terminal program on the other PC (i.e. minicom or
hypterterminal if it's a Windows box). This way, you will at least be able to
see any kernel messages that show up when the system crashes.

It's sometimes also helpfull to have a serial login option: add the line
"tm:345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS0" to /etc/inittab and "ttyS0"
to /etc/securetty

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 10:52 AM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

In addition to Bernhard's suggestion of setting up a serial console, please post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 01:07 PM   #4
deBeuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 21
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
uts logs are empty, i assume because they arent being written (ext3) in time.
Can you reboot with alt+sysrq+s alt+sysrq+u alt+sysrq+b key sequence if your pc freezes? You may have to enable it with sysctl -w kernel.sysrc=1.
This way data is synced to the disks, which are then remounted ro and finally you reboot.
__________________
Words! Nothing but sweet, sweet words that turn into bitter orange wax in my ears.
deBeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 04:25 PM   #5
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
In addition to Bernhard's suggestion of setting up a serial console, please post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
where do i do that?
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 04:45 PM   #6
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Talking Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
What happens if you underclock the card using nvidia-settings?
(set Option "Coolbits" "1" in the device section in xorg.conf and do
"nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1" before starting
nvidia-settings in graphical mode). If UT2004 works with 2D and 3D
clocks both set to i.e. 200 MHz, then i guess a more powerfull PSU might help.

Anyway, to understand "silent crashes" I recommend adding
"console=ttyS0,115200n8" to the kernel boot string (/boot/grub/menu.lst
or /etc/lilo.conf) and connecting COM1 to another PC using a null-modem
cable. Then run a terminal program on the other PC (i.e. minicom or
hypterterminal if it's a Windows box). This way, you will at least be able to
see any kernel messages that show up when the system crashes.

It's sometimes also helpfull to have a serial login option: add the line
"tm:345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS0" to /etc/inittab and "ttyS0"
to /etc/securetty

regards

Bernhard

good ideas, alas clocking the gpu to 200mhz (from 500) still gives the same effect

and this motherboard has no legacy ports... and i only have one usb to serial converter
handy (which i need for my laptop) so hopefully in the mean time someone at nvidia can
reproduce the problem!
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 05:14 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Per the README that ships with the nvidia driver, you can generate an nvidia-bug-report.log by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 03:42 AM   #8
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Per the README that ships with the nvidia driver, you can generate an nvidia-bug-report.log by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

Thanks,
Lonni

here tis

pls note this occurs on both 64 and 32 bit installs
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (83.4 KB, 154 views)
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-05, 10:52 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

I see that you have the Coolbits option turned on. What are you doing with this option?

Which BIOS version are you currently using?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 04:26 PM   #10
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I see that you have the Coolbits option turned on. What are you doing with this option?

Which BIOS version are you currently using?

Thanks,
Lonni

coolbits was added as suggested earlier in this thread when it was suggested to underclock the gpu - which made no difference.

are you refering to the card or the mboards bios?
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 06:55 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

I'm referring to the motherboard's BIOS.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 08:30 PM   #12
djzort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 54
Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm referring to the motherboard's BIOS.

thanks,
Lonni
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=LP&SITE=US

thats the board. its based on nvidia chips and has otherwise been very good in linux. pity you wont open specs on the nvidia gig NIC. but its reverse engineered now anyway.

but the version is currently... (well the line at the bottom)

01/25/2005-NF-CK804-6A61FD49C-00

which would appear a few versions behind (based on the date anyway)
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.