Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-05, 02:20 AM   #13
djzort

Default Re: 6600gt vs ut2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzort
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=LP&SITE=US

thats the board. its based on nvidia chips and has otherwise been very good in linux. pity you wont open specs on the nvidia gig NIC. but its reverse engineered now anyway.

but the version is currently... (well the line at the bottom)

01/25/2005-NF-CK804-6A61FD49C-00

which would appear a few versions behind (based on the date anyway)
bios updated to the latest. no changes. still same problems
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 05:40 AM   #14
djzort

Quote:
bios updated to the latest. no changes. still same problems

further, i built and installed quake3 (x86_64) and it has funny behaviour also

ie it starts, is audibley running. the screen is blank still and then i move around (keyboard up and down) and the menu appears. one of the three times i tried the id logo movie appeared. the game worked the first time, but since then trying to run the game results in q3 crashing. but it did work in the game the first time.

also, ut2004 did get to the menu one time whilst i was playing and then froze on the menu. i havent been able to repeat that. still starts and goes blank, complete system lock up and some times reboots.

i have a feeling something is or isnt being set in the graphics drivers

also

gltron and tuxracer both still work

so i gather that both q3 and ut2004 talk to gl differently to how gltron and tuxracer do
Old 09-29-05, 12:56 PM   #15
ymir

I have had the same trouble for quite some time. But not everytime, it would happened 2 out of 3 tries.
UT 2004, right at the moment the Splash Screen would appear and the sound system would kick in (little crack in the headphone) and pouf, the PC reboots.

Then i started to help that person who would have some reboot troubles on a forum, and the problems appeared one week after changing the cpu fan. So after a little while of narrowing the problem to the fan with her, i started to wonder if I hadnt the same problem than her. Because, it could be possible that it started after I also changed my CPU fan, but so long ago that i had forgotten.
Well, the cpu paste wasnt exactly good so i bought some new paste and did a great job (this time) in pasting very cleanly the cpu.

Well, i hadnt a reboot in 2 days afterwards.
But i had a few of them since, but very less.
So I now start all my fans that I lower for noise's sake, one minute before playing, instead of the regular "immediatly before" and i hadnt a single reboot ever since.

btw, the woman and I have the same fan model. So this model is obviously not able to cope with a great surge of activity in the cpu if this one is already hot, like her amd XP or like my 3400+ when used in low noise config or with a bad paste.

So, maybe you should see if you've checked every thing in the area of the cpu heat.
ymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 08:19 PM   #16
djzort

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymir
I have had the same trouble for quite some time. But not everytime, it would happened 2 out of 3 tries.
UT 2004, right at the moment the Splash Screen would appear and the sound system would kick in (little crack in the headphone) and pouf, the PC reboots.

Then i started to help that person who would have some reboot troubles on a forum, and the problems appeared one week after changing the cpu fan. So after a little while of narrowing the problem to the fan with her, i started to wonder if I hadnt the same problem than her. Because, it could be possible that it started after I also changed my CPU fan, but so long ago that i had forgotten.
Well, the cpu paste wasnt exactly good so i bought some new paste and did a great job (this time) in pasting very cleanly the cpu.

Well, i hadnt a reboot in 2 days afterwards.
But i had a few of them since, but very less.
So I now start all my fans that I lower for noise's sake, one minute before playing, instead of the regular "immediatly before" and i hadnt a single reboot ever since.

btw, the woman and I have the same fan model. So this model is obviously not able to cope with a great surge of activity in the cpu if this one is already hot, like her amd XP or like my 3400+ when used in low noise config or with a bad paste.

So, maybe you should see if you've checked every thing in the area of the cpu heat.
thats not the problem. its definately something in the nvidia drivers
Old 09-30-05, 03:01 AM   #17
ymir

Quote:
thats not the problem. its definately something in the nvidia drivers
I never said it isnt in the driver, it might be something that is causing the sudden urge in cpu at this moment.
In my case, the faulty fan surely proves that there is some cpu surge at this moment of the game, your case maybe shows that it is driver related, I don't know.

I have blamed the nvidia drivers many times in the past for problems that were:
-a dying cpu fan
-a dying gpu fan
-a dying cpu (probably dead because of the fan)
-bad memory
-incompatibility with my mobo and the memories (bug with the mobo actually)
So now, i'm a little more patient, and I didnt blame it on nvidia for the first time.

But, hey, you're the one that's there and if you have already tested your hardware and know that there is no problem whatsoever with it, sorry for wasting your time.
Old 09-30-05, 03:41 AM   #18
djzort

Quote:
I never said it isnt in the driver, it might be something that is causing the sudden urge in cpu at this moment.
In my case, the faulty fan surely proves that there is some cpu surge at this moment of the game, your case maybe shows that it is driver related, I don't know.

I have blamed the nvidia drivers many times in the past for problems that were:
-a dying cpu fan
-a dying gpu fan
-a dying cpu (probably dead because of the fan)
-bad memory
-incompatibility with my mobo and the memories (bug with the mobo actually)
So now, i'm a little more patient, and I didnt blame it on nvidia for the first time.

But, hey, you're the one that's there and if you have already tested your hardware and know that there is no problem whatsoever with it, sorry for wasting your time.

sorry i perhaps came across wrong in my reply to your post.
i didnt mean to be unappreciative. if it was heat related i would surely see
the same problem when compiling or running in software. especially when compiling, which tends to show if a cpu is worth its salt

thanks for the feedback

Dean
Old 10-02-05, 07:40 AM   #19
ymir

Quote:
sorry i perhaps came across wrong in my reply to your post.
i didnt mean to be unappreciative. if it was heat related i would surely see
the same problem when compiling or running in software. especially when compiling, which tends to show if a cpu is worth its salt
Well, i don't know enough in CPUs architectures and memory functionnement to know exactly what is real and what is not in my interpretations of my past experiences.
But i have noticed along the years that the 3 apps that are the most likely to reveal a problem related to CPU, memory or nvidia drivers (open GL?) are:
-OO
-konqueror
-ut2004
Strange as it is, i'm sure of that.

BTW i compiled the whole kde beta 3.5 on the above machine, with all fans low and prior to _my_ problem resolution with no lock in.
But in your case, what is really tilting, is quake3. It is not cpu intensive, that is sure.
Old 10-02-05, 08:22 AM   #20
djzort

Quote:
Well, i don't know enough in CPUs architectures and memory functionnement to know exactly what is real and what is not in my interpretations of my past experiences.
But i have noticed along the years that the 3 apps that are the most likely to reveal a problem related to CPU, memory or nvidia drivers (open GL?) are:
-OO
-konqueror
-ut2004
Strange as it is, i'm sure of that.

BTW i compiled the whole kde beta 3.5 on the above machine, with all fans low and prior to _my_ problem resolution with no lock in.
But in your case, what is really tilting, is quake3. It is not cpu intensive, that is sure.
i dropped in a spare hard disk and installed xp - everything goes fine, so hardware wouldnt seem to be at fault. its definately something in the nvidia drivers. and judging by the full system lock i would say that its in the kernel not in X.

not sure if 2.6.13 is worth trying? nvidia people?

Old 10-02-05, 11:10 AM   #21
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Setting up a serial console to capture the crash output is the best way to make progress in debugging this further.

Thanks,
-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 06:21 AM   #22
JaXXoN

BTW.: what helped me stabilizing my system was to set 2D/3D
clocks and voltages to the same values (450MHz, 1.4V for
a 7800GTX Golden Sample) in the VGA BIOS. I have the
impression switching form 2D to 3D doesn't work reliable
if the settings are different - maybe the PLL (if there is any) doesn't
ramp up/down quick enough.

Please refer to the "NVflash and NiBiTor Linux-only Howto"
to understand how to modifiy the VGA BIOS:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54095

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-05, 07:55 AM   #23
djzort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
What happens if you underclock the card using nvidia-settings?
(set Option "Coolbits" "1" in the device section in xorg.conf and do
"nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1" before starting
nvidia-settings in graphical mode). If UT2004 works with 2D and 3D
clocks both set to i.e. 200 MHz, then i guess a more powerfull PSU might help.

Anyway, to understand "silent crashes" I recommend adding
"console=ttyS0,115200n8" to the kernel boot string (/boot/grub/menu.lst
or /etc/lilo.conf) and connecting COM1 to another PC using a null-modem
cable. Then run a terminal program on the other PC (i.e. minicom or
hypterterminal if it's a Windows box). This way, you will at least be able to
see any kernel messages that show up when the system crashes.

It's sometimes also helpfull to have a serial login option: add the line
"tm:345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS0" to /etc/inittab and "ttyS0"
to /etc/securetty

regards

Bernhard

ok console.txt is from the serial port
this nvidia log is from a clean 64bit debian install. the earlier was a clean 32bit install

there wasnt really a very interesting outburst of kernel messages, but there was some numbers
Attached Files
File Type: txt console.txt (21.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (74.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-19-05, 04:46 AM   #24
djzort

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Setting up a serial console to capture the crash output is the best way to make progress in debugging this further.

Thanks,
-Lonni

any news on this, would you like me to strace ut2004 prior to it crashing