Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-05, 03:25 AM   #1
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

Default FFXI Anyone?

Is anyone here playing FFXI? I never see any threads about it and I think its still a great game.

I played WoW since launch and quit a few months back to pick up FFXI again. And after playing WoW I seriously appreciate this game alot more now.

The graphics are a tad dated but the character models/spell effects are still top notch in my opinion. And the new expansion pack kicks major ass.

I love how it uses framebuffer effects like other final fantasy games in some spell effects and in almost all of the cutscenes. (yes thats right this game has cutscenes that star your character most of the time for almost all of the missions/quests)
[Display Dell S2309W 23", Samsung 933HD+ 18.5" on NeoFlex LCD Arms]

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
StoNer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 05:53 AM   #2
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Default Re: FFXI Anyone?

Same here im suprised that i never see FFXI talked about here in the MMO section

ive been playing for about 6 months now(fariy server)and i really enjoy it,my main is a lvl45 BLM with various subs RDM being my main sub

Ive played a few other MMO's but i find the battle system in FFXI a little more tactical
and while its GUI/interface suffers from it being a console port the are ways around it with some cool and very helpful 3rdparty utilities to make it a little more PC savy (there against the TOS but if SE wont fix it someone has to)

GFX can some times look a little dated(90% of the water fx are ****ty)but i find that DV and image sharppening set to around the first of second mark really help bring a little more life to some of the textures

An unoffical stand alone Drawdistance mod utility was released a week or so ago to push back the limited clipping plain(a hold over from the limited power of the ps2 version)but its features where quickly added to a plugin for the FFXI windower and it totally rocks heres a before/after screen shot.

Before

After

FFXI is about to hit the Xbox360 and theres talk of an update to textures/models but nothing concrete yet im really hopping for some post processing bloom or pixel shader water effect but im not holding my breath
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 01:21 PM   #3
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

Thats awesome, i have windower - is the plugin at the windower site?

my main right now is a 32 BST and I have my WHM to 30 and BLM to 17, on the Garuda server.

Ive only been playing again for almost 2 months now so im not quite high lvl yet.

I agree with you about the tactical edge of the battles compared to other mmos (especially WoW)

FFXI group battles compared to WoW are like night and day. I remember on my 60 priest in WoW theyd basically say ok im gonna nuke the #$@# outta this mob and u hit me with every healing spell u have while keeping the rest of the party alive as fast as u can. (so stupid)

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
Old 09-13-05, 01:58 PM   #4
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Yep heres the forum topic for the plugin

http://ffxi.archbell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1640

has all the links and info you'll need to get it setup

I post as Gizmo over there(omziG here) if you havent already have a good look around the forums over there as theres plenty of apps and utilities that enchance FFXI in many ways non of them being cheats or hacks

My only complaint about FFXI would be that its TO party dependent(unless your BST hehe) i know that MMO's are about playing together but sometime i like to go anon/invis and go smack some mobs around solo,i just wish there where some i could solo that gave more that 12XP without nearly ripping my limbs off
Old 09-13-05, 02:51 PM   #5
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

Yea I had a tossup between bieng a BST or a BRD and I didnt wanna have to rely on parties all the time and every uber item I aquired would just make me a better buffer for parties.

I kinda wanted to be able to do stuff with a few LS friends (all bst LS) and have the option to go out and have at least a possibility of doing something on my own.

So far BST has been pretty good but its hard sometimes and dying sucks when you get slow xp. But in the end it should be worth it :P

Old 09-13-05, 03:42 PM   #6
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Do a search for my review of that game.

Edit: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38546

There you go
Old 09-14-05, 03:28 AM   #7
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk

There you go
That's wonderful, stick to games like digdug and pong or even easier games like World Of Warcraft if you have trouble with ffxi. Not that im insulting your intelligence or anything. But if the game is too hard its too hard. Nothing more to add on that subject.

You see theres a system in the game where you check a monster to see how it rates up against you before you fight it... u know so that you dont blindly hit it and die easily.

Everyone has games that appeal to them, after whooping the living crap out of every mmo ive ever played i decided to play one thats challenging.

If you dont like the game thats fine, also that sucks that an instruction booklet that weighs less than a pound broke your toe.

Old 09-14-05, 09:09 AM   #8
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk

There you go
I take it that you have'nt played many rpg's then either online or offline?

Getting your ass kicked by a worm in FFXI is no diffrent that getting your ass kicked by a Crab in EQII or a Rat in fallout or Icewind Dale and id have to agree with StoNer if you cant hack FFXI's starter mobs then i suggest you avoid pretty much any MMO's because in the many ive played i havent come across one in which wont get your ass kicked by some lowly looking mob

Hey StoNer my bud just started BST for a change of pace (his main is a lvl 42 WHM but he has many jobs around the 20/30 mark)as he was getting sick of partying with ****ty players,i think he has it at about lvl 20 atm and says its much fun but the dying sucks ,ive unlocked the job but have'nt lvl'ed it up yet after hearing both of you talk about it though i might give i ago very soon.

Old 09-14-05, 11:02 AM   #9
gram_vaz
Cybersix

i play as vazel. a redmage. just started out a couple days ago. XD this game is a tad intimidating but i'm a final fantasy nut. and i'm impressed with the playonline viewer where you can read info about the game and chat with people in it. and tetra master is a nice diversion.
gram_vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 03:40 PM   #10
StoNer
Ubėr Baked

Tell him to stop leveling his BST and use his WHM to plvl you to 20, then use this guide http://www.guildportal.com/Blog.aspx?Blog=620 to duo with him.

A BST duo is one lethal force

Oh and Vaz good luck getting into the game, it takes some practice to learn skillchains when to debuff when to heal etc.. but once you learn your job and get into the higher levels and start doing missions and seeing the story of the game youll really like it.

I played the game over a year ago before i started WoW, and all i did was level. I never did any missions/quests or crafted or anything. And i thought the game had nothing to offer other than hitting lame mobs over and over. So i quit and lost my 42 THF. The game is much more different this time around - if i get tired of leveling i just go fish for some cash and skillups or try to get in a promyvion group. Or i try to do BCNM 20 with a few other BSTS to get astral ring drops. Theres a ton more to do now, just make sure u get the expansion pack.

Old 09-14-05, 04:03 PM   #11
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

One thing that pissed me off was that it wouldn't take AA, due to the PS2 porting. Although the new draw distance looks good.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 04:24 PM   #12
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig
I take it that you have'nt played many rpg's then either online or offline?

Getting your ass kicked by a worm in FFXI is no diffrent that getting your ass kicked by a Crab in EQII or a Rat in fallout or Icewind Dale and id have to agree with StoNer if you cant hack FFXI's starter mobs then i suggest you avoid pretty much any MMO's because in the many ive played i havent come across one in which wont get your ass kicked by some lowly looking mob

Hey StoNer my bud just started BST for a change of pace (his main is a lvl 42 WHM but he has many jobs around the 20/30 mark)as he was getting sick of partying with ****ty players,i think he has it at about lvl 20 atm and says its much fun but the dying sucks ,ive unlocked the job but have'nt lvl'ed it up yet after hearing both of you talk about it though i might give i ago very soon.
Call me boring but I generally don't like spending hours and hours just having to get a few levels when starting a game, I've played plenty rpg games and FF is so god damn boring to start out in. The crafting system was rediculous and the mobs gave very little experience as covered in the thread I posted a link to. I'll take WOW over that boring piece of crap anyday.