Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-03, 02:14 PM   #1
1stFlight

Default NForce2 Linux Question

Anyone know how the Linux support is for the Nforce2 chipset? I'm looking at picking up a Chaintech Zenith and not dual booting if I can help it. Just need some insight, thanks!
1stFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 03:35 AM   #2
FunkyRes

I just ordered a nforce2 board.

From what I understand - the audio drivers suck ascii but the commercial open sound system (I think that's what its called) drivers can be had for about $20.00 and work very well. From what I've heard. I'll find out soon enough I guess

Ethernet - I thought I had heard about problems with nforce1 ethernet but I think that got fixed with updated drivers from Nvidia.

USB2 - I think for USB to work to have to use the drivers supplied by Nvidia. I'm not sure though.

If that is the case then hopefully it will get into the kernel in the future.

I have zero idea how well the iEEE 1394 works (I got the deluxe board) if you get one with onboard FireWire. I won't be testing that on my system for at least a month, probably more.

Hope I was at least of some help ...
FunkyRes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 05:32 PM   #3
Wrawrat

Send a message via ICQ to Wrawrat

This thread sums up the problems encoutered with the chipset.
Wrawrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 01:46 PM   #4
FunkyRes

In all honesty - a lot of the problems listed in that thread are not experienced by people I know with the nforce2 chipset.

Sometimes people are quick to blame the chipset when the problem is that they didn't properly follow supplied directions.

The audio I've heard there are issues with - but that's it and some people seem to think it works fine.
Old 01-07-03, 02:02 PM   #5
FunkyRes

Also - most of the discussion in that thread is actually OSS sound driver (Open Sound System - a closed source alternative) and not the nvidia chipset.

I think it was dishonest to claim that NVidia was lying when they say they support Linux. It may not be the best support in the world, but it seems the only major issue is with the audio.

The audio chip they are using is not theirs and there may be NDA issues with them causing NVidia to not be allowed to write a good open source driver for the chip.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that if the chip maker for audio allowed specs to be released, there would be better kernel and alsa drivers for it.

Thus for NVidia to support it better in Linux they would need to release it as a closed source driver or have developers work on it who have not seen the technological information that might be under the NDA.

If the audio is not good enough, you can buy a closed source driver. The other parts of the NVidia chipset are decently supported by the drivers NVidia provides.

Sure, it may be a PITA if you have to buy a driver to get good sound - but there's so little with Linux anyone has to ever buy - so you still come out ahead.
Old 01-07-03, 02:52 PM   #6
Wrawrat

Send a message via ICQ to Wrawrat

The problem is that the audio part is ripped from a i810 driver... They could at least write their own driver like their video cards, even if it's closed-source.
Wrawrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 05:57 PM   #7
FunkyRes

Well- what would be best is if they contributed to the existing open source driver (or replaced it in the linux source)

I'm not to keen on closed source kernel mods. You don't get the benefit of peer review and they can be a pita when upgrading a kernel.

But yeah, it would probably be better than what they have.