Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-05, 03:03 PM   #37
thebug

Default Re: 7667 issues; black screen/ X windows crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay
*ahem* It's real simple: Either use the nVidia installer, or the Debian packages, but not both! Get rid of one before you install the other!
Well this may help some people blujay, and that would be great, but I have symptoms similar to tht00 (the thread initiator) and this isn't the problem on my system. The black screen and lockup happened on my system with the ubuntu breezy nvidia debs before ever trying the nVidia installer, and still happens after fully removing the nVidia installer.
thebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 03:17 PM   #38
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

thebug,
Are you able to setup a serial console to capture the crash? Can you at least generate a bug report immediately after the crash?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 03:21 PM   #39
thebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The bug report still shows that the 'nv' driver was the last driver used to start X, not the 'nvidia' driver. There's really nothing I can do to diagnose this when the logs don't show the nvidia driver in use.
I have been having a problem with the same symptoms as tht00. I also have a compaq presario AMD machine running ubuntu, although it is an AMD Sempron, the card is a 4200ti, and I'm running the breezy pre-release (to be a real release 3 days from now.)

As far as the log files showing nv being in use, I had this happen to me too, even though nvidia was definitely in use when the lockup occurred. I think that it is a "hard" lockup and that the filesystem buffers don't get flushed after it happens, so the log file may never get flushed. And if the log file is small enough it may therefore never get written at all. So what is seen after the crash is the previous log file from when nv was actually working. This is only a theory. However, when I set my fstab entry for the filesystem that /var/log is on to include the sync option, this stopped happening, and after booting in recovery mode the info that you would expect showed up in Xorg.0.log with nvidia showing as the driver in use.

So Tht00 perhaps you would like to try that sync option temporarily in /etc/fstab too, if you have trouble getting the serial cable thing going.

I didn't know the command to generate a bug report, so I will have to crash my machine one more time and I'll do that and include it in my next post to this thread.

Thanks,
Bugger
Old 10-10-05, 03:49 PM   #40
thebug

Ok, I crashed my machine again, rebooted in recovery mode (no X), and generated this report:

I'll see what I can do about setting up a serial console. I'd be curious if this report tells anything though because I'm not sure how long that might take me.

Thanks Lonni,
-Bugger
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (64.5 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by thebug; 10-10-05 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot to mention serial console
Old 10-10-05, 04:13 PM   #41
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Could you please remove the GLcore and dri X modules from your configuration? Per the NVIDIA driver README, they should not be used with the nvidia X driver.

Beyond that, I don't see anything obvious in the bug report. Getting the serial console setup would be best right now.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-11-05, 11:07 AM   #42
EverIce

Hi, i have got the same problem. After i install the 7676 driver and startx i get black screen and the system hangs. I have got debian 3.1 and gf 6600.

Here is my report. I'll be glad for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (66.6 KB, 150 views)
EverIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 11:20 AM   #43
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

EverIce,
Do the results change if you don't set NvAGP explicitly in your X configuration?

What kind of motherboard are you using, and which BIOS version?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-11-05, 12:08 PM   #44
EverIce

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, the result is same. I added the line because it was suggested by a linux site.

XP System info:
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4PE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002, 2002. 10. 28.

I haven't got any problem under xp if this helps.

Old 10-11-05, 12:37 PM   #45
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Windows doesn't rely on the BIOS in the way that Linux does, therefore just because this works in Windows doesn't mean this isn't a BIOS problem. Can you try updating to the latest released BIOS (1007)?

Also, do you have a 2nd system to use to setup a serial console to capture any crash output?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-11-05, 01:21 PM   #46
EverIce

Thanks, i will update then the mainboard.

Unfortunately, i haven't got an another system to capture any crash output.
Old 10-12-05, 10:42 AM   #47
EverIce

Ok, i updated my mainboard bios but x server crashed again. Nothing changed.
Old 10-12-05, 11:39 AM   #48
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Are you able to setup a serial console?

Thanks,
Lonni