Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-05, 07:02 PM   #25
Rakeesh

Default Re: HL2 most polished game ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
think HL2 was one of the most overhyped games.....
QFT

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 08:57 PM   #26
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
think HL2 was one of the most overhyped games.....
Toss up between HL2 and halo 2 :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 12:01 AM   #27
Saintster

Personally I think Far Cry crushes HL 2 in every category. Graphics,AI and gameplay. Far Cry was just not as hyped and wan't a followup to a classic hit. Really the end of HL1 (zen crap) and HL2 (rushed ending or really the last 1/4 of the game) were weak.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 01:07 AM   #28
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Toss up between HL2 and halo 2 :\.
I think you forget D3

Other than lighting and some mood/scary moments, it was a crap-fest of repetitive bile from beginning to end.

I liked that the add-on made it more bearable but by jove, the hours of endless b.s.

For me, I was very impressed with Riddick. It was something I played for a lark to start with but it was so impressive.

HL2 was not the most polished game ever. I have played far better in terms of finish but it was the most satisfying game I have played recently. Can't argue against that.

Far Cry played great, D3 played great, Splinter Cell played great. Those games were really neat
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 01:17 AM   #29
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

HL2 has got a few problems, memory issues, sound and stuttering but it's still pretty good. In terms of performance it scales back beautifully, when my previous card died I was using a geforce 2 mx and I was playing through very nicely - of course with no eye candy and low resolution. How about I try Doom 3 with the same card, without shadows, without bumpmaps and at low res - looks like quake 3, how does 2 fps sound? Of course polished isn't just backwards compatibility but it helps. Most polished game I've played would be Max Payne 2, no crashes, no bugs, smooth all the way through.
Old 10-01-05, 10:21 AM   #30
FraGTastiK
'

well for the people who didnt have any contact with pre-release half life 2 hype and also for the people who do not see the bugs its a good experience,but that doesnt make it come clean of the biggest POS hype that came with it.

I dont know why is it that everything wich smells like ATi has always come with double the length and weight of normal hype frame.that made my 9800XT become a second tier card when HL2 was actually out,I was promised to have the best card for the game but hey its ATi's word you know how much you can trust it.

talk about somebody stole the game from us,yea right.showing people stuff wich was never actually there.like the Hydra thing wich added alot of omg's then dropped off of the final version.(oh I know I have to pay 20$ more to read their book and see why it got dropped from the final version,rofl no thanx you cant BS me twice)

or making it look like its gonna have very nice DX9 effects and then drop it off the actual game.(look at the white brick walls of the prison where combines are right around the coner in the bink video and then comapre it with the same scene in game no such bump maps or strong glossy effect there and that was not the DX9 source tech demo)

also check the part where you have to play around with the big magnet,the way shadows are casting there makes you laugh,you can differentiate three seperate overlapping shadows wich in fact should merge and be seen as one.

I dont know if this one is a Source engine bug or HL2's but the game has MAJOR issues with clipping when it comes to shadows and wind or air flow in general.you can see shadows slip thru walls or upper floor.also the helicopter or the explosion wave affects objects wich are behind a thick wall,odd isnt it.

stupid stupid squad AI.I know they wanned to make a nice controllabe squad with good AI but they just decided to dumb it down along the way wich i dont understand why.

too many scripted scenes,funny double Alyx bug ...

but hey I played HL2,good story taken from George Orwell's "1984",I had my share of fun with it and its over for me but its not the most polished game ever IMO.

AMD X2 4400+@2750 MHz 24/7 ][ ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE 0903 ][ 2x1GB PC4000 CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 1T-1:1 ][ 2 XFX 7900GTX 512MB SLI 690/1750
PIONEERDVD-RW DVR-108 ][ MSI CD-RW CR52P AUDIGY2ZS ][ CREATIVE INSPIRE T7700
2xMAXTOR SATA160GB (RAID 0) ][ 2x MAXTOR IDE80GB ][ AOPENH700C
FraGTastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 11:46 AM   #31
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
I think you forget D3

Other than lighting and some mood/scary moments, it was a crap-fest of repetitive bile from beginning to end.

I liked that the add-on made it more bearable but by jove, the hours of endless b.s.

For me, I was very impressed with Riddick. It was something I played for a lark to start with but it was so impressive.

HL2 was not the most polished game ever. I have played far better in terms of finish but it was the most satisfying game I have played recently. Can't argue against that.

Far Cry played great, D3 played great, Splinter Cell played great. Those games were really neat
Well I meant overhyped AFTER they came out... most people ended up hating Doom 3 (I rather enjoyed it), but after Halo 2 and Half Life 2 came out all I heard was "OMGZ GRATIST GAEM EVAR" and I finally got to play them and I was like "meh".
Old 10-01-05, 01:42 PM   #32
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Well I meant overhyped AFTER they came out... most people ended up hating Doom 3 (I rather enjoyed it), but after Halo 2 and Half Life 2 came out all I heard was "OMGZ GRATIST GAEM EVAR" and I finally got to play them and I was like "meh".
It certainly wasn't the greatest ever, agreed

But it was a damn sight better than a whole buncha other stuff out there. I felt bad for Riddick because it was an awesome game and looked fabulous. Story was also excellent. HL2 has some of the greatest moments in my gaming experience i.e. the vehicle levels. I loved em and can just jump in and play them whenever I feel like it.

Far Cry's lack of a regular save system detracted from its overall polished finish. It bugged the hell out of me that I had to replay upto 5 or 10 mins worth of levels (first time round) in order to get to the next save point. But the game and the story rocked.

D3 had fabulous lighting and level design was decent. I actually wasn't too bothered by the low res textures because the game itself was pretty good looking all around. But after the first couple of levels, it just became a bore-fest for me. I still liked that I could jump in and attack everyone at my convenience but the story and the actual game-play, after the first "wow" factor left a lot to be desired.

Halo 2 was pretty good wrt coop play but the story was all over the place. The game also didn't play the same on all xbox systems. If you had an early version Xbox, which I do, you would be plagued by missing textures and other graphics glitches.

Other than that, it was by far the best looking xbox game I ever played (since surpassed by riddick and far cry looks like it will be even better). The level design could have been better but the overall product was not bad.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-05, 04:02 PM   #33
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
But after the first couple of levels, it just became a bore-fest for me.
It did for me too, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The last 6 or so levels were just awesome and was a change from the other 90% of the game.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 05:09 PM   #34
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
I saw this and actually thought is was a joke!!!!! - now I see the guy was serious!!!!

ROFL.................most polished game ever my ass.
Seriously man. The only reason the game performs so well is becuase it isn't as technically advanced as the likes of the D3 and FC.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 07:05 PM   #35
OWA

I think all the major titles end up being over-hyped and while I don't like that, you have to wonder if that helps. Like Sazar mentioned, look at Riddick. It was a very pleasant surprise but hardly got any press even though everyone seemed to really like it. I've never seen sales figures on it though.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 07:13 PM   #36
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I think Riddick did well enough... I do believe they are doing a sequel... but then again sales aren't always needed for a sequel.