Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-05, 10:38 PM   #37
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: HL2 most polished game ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
It did for me too, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The last 6 or so levels were just awesome and was a change from the other 90% of the game.
The Hell level made up for a lot of the other crap.

My main joy other than that was playing through it in GOD mode with a chainsaw.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 12:55 AM   #38
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

I agree. I never had a single problem with HL2 out of the box.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 01:18 AM   #39
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
What do you guys think? After playing the next gen demos that have come out I can't say anything else has the refinement of HL2. Seems to me HL2's performance is amazingly fast compared to the visual experience. I mean FEAR looks much better in many cases but seems to have lacking performance, especially compared to HL2. Obviosuly the technolgoy is more complex but the visual experience/performance ratio is not that good in my mind. I can even drop the textures and lighting down to a HL2 type of level and get nowhere near the performce level. Plus the physic doesn't compare either, shelves can't be blown away by grenades and all kinds of other stuff. FEAR is an awesome game, but HL2 has a level of refinement and polish unlike anything I have seen. Opinions?
HL2 is a buggy mess with compatibility problems IMO. The stutter bug is a perfect example, one that still isnt fixed for tons of users.

IMO Doom3 is superior in this regard, and has superior lighting too.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 01:59 AM   #40
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
HL2 is a buggy mess with compatibility problems IMO. The stutter bug is a perfect example, one that still isnt fixed for tons of users.
Yah, there are some issues with it that continue to affect people. Valve needs to be a lot more pro-active in addressing these issues.

Quote:
IMO Doom3 is superior in this regard, and has superior lighting too.
Pity that it wasn't more than a psuedo-tech demo.

Far Cry was the best initial experience of the lot and Riddick matched the lighting of D3, plus had a more polished over-all feel.
Old 10-02-05, 08:42 AM   #41
aAv7

I thought doom 3 was fantastic. Psuedo-tech demo? Meh. It was old skool gaming, it stuck to the series roots. And while that type of gameplay is pass'e these days, I thought it was a nice throw back for a change.

I agree that Farcry had the best of all worlds. From gameplay to gfx, to innovations (like hdr).

As for Half-Life 2 being polished...well, yeah it runs fantastic fps-wise on a large range of systems, but what does that matter when you stutter with every 4 steps you take in the game?

And forbid Vavle actually acknowledge the bug, let alone fix it.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:23 AM   #42
Seoulstriker

Half-Life 2 was just one great giant "MEH".

I am not a half-life fanboy, so I don't get to see the world through rose-colored glasses. I'd honestly give HL2 a 7/10. Uninspired, cliched, and repetitive (how many times do I have to drive those damn vehicles??).

Yawn.
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:49 AM   #43
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aAv7
As for Half-Life 2 being polished...well, yeah it runs fantastic fps-wise on a large range of systems, but what does that matter when you stutter with every 4 steps you take in the game?

And forbid Vavle actually acknowledge the bug, let alone fix it.
What are you talking about? Valve acknowledged it alright ( I'm sure I remember them asking for PCs to be brought in but I can't find it) and created a stutter fix patch.
Old 10-02-05, 10:52 AM   #44
slick
Play with conviction.

What's up with this stutter bug I keep hearing about? Does that only happen on certain cards/do they know what is causing it?
slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-05, 10:57 AM   #45
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
What's up with this stutter bug I keep hearing about? Does that only happen on certain cards/do they know what is causing it?
Certain configurations, not certain cards. It's not a given. It's present because there are vids of it posted by those who have experienced it. Thankfully I haven't had a problem like that so far but I would find it bloody annoying if it happened on my rig.

The game ran without a hitch on my 6800ultra OC and runs equally flawlessly on my x800xt.

My old 9700pro ran it just fine too, albeit at lower res
Old 10-02-05, 11:34 AM   #46
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
Yeah, like Sazar mentioned it seems to be configuration related. It has been fixed and broken for me like 3 or 4 times now. It appears to me that whatever they're doing trying to fix it, is too specific. It seems like they must be trying to fix it based on certain configurations instead of trying to find whatever the underlying cause is and fixing that. Otherwise, you wouldn't think it would keep alternating between fixing it and breaking it with certain configurations.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 02:55 PM   #47
Rakeesh

If you ask me, valves sound engine is fundamentally screwed up. The stuttering was the least of the problems I had with it in the beginning.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote