Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-02, 06:59 AM   #1
smoke

Unhappy R.H 8.0 + GeForce 2 MX + AMD Athlon 1800xp+ > Which driver to download?

I am really pissed of after too many unsuccessful trials to get X working on my new PC( AMD Athlon 1800xp+, ASUS-nVidia gForce 2 MX with 32 MB vRam.) ... I tried different versions from 7.0, 7.3 to 8.0 and now, I am struck with a blank screen when I invoke "startx"

Now,I understand that nVidia drivers are giving me this hard time.

Can anybody suggest which driver ( both rpm and tar ballz - just in case) files I need to download with given configuration.
all your comments will be highly appreciated.
~thanks

NB: Has anybody published the steps to compile/install these drivers in his homepage? I am planning to do so( if at all I am successful) if nobody has done this.
I was a big fan of linux but now feeling like praising windoZ just because the sort of smooth installation it provides accross all h/w platforms.. hmmmm lets see.....
Old 12-30-02, 02:05 PM   #2
bwkaz

1) Go to nvidia.com

2) Hit drivers at the top

3) Select whatever you need to to get a list of OSes in the rightmost box, and select Linux IA-32 there.

4) Hit submit (or whatever), and you will be taken to the version 4191 download page.

5) Grab the NVchooser off that page. Save it to your home directory.

6) Open a terminal.

7) Type sh NVchooser.sh, and it will tell you which files to download. Go back to that driver page, and get the ones it tells you to. Then install them.

I used to have what I called a guide (it was more of a collection of all the answers to every question I'd seen at the time, interspersed with the installation procedure) on my home page, but seeing as power's off at college, the page isn't up anymore. I also submitted it to LNO (linuxnewbie.org) as an NHF, but they haven't posted it either. Assuming you don't run into problems, though, the README file is a VERY good resource. Have you tried it?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-03, 12:24 PM   #3
smoke

Thumbs up IT WORKED!

Thanks bwkaz, it worked for me..
I downloaded nvChooser, ran it, it suggested me two rpms, which i downloaded and installed as

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_....kernel.rpm
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_....GLX.rpm

edited the XFree86config file....
replaced entry "nv" with "nvidia"
removed a few lines as per the README
...all worked fine

/... now got to try sound...