Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-05, 03:10 AM   #1
pixelpusher

Default NV17 & HD MPEG acceleration : MPEG 1 only?

I'm trying to get hardware MPEG2 acceleration on this Latitude C840 (nv17 : "GeForce 440 Go"). I'm using Mplayer to play HD MPEG2 files (1920x1080). Mplayer says "VDec: using MPEG1/2 Motion Compensation and IDCT as output csp (no 0)", but it still stutters after a while. I have a little program that calls ""XvMCListSurfaceTypes" and checks the value of "mc_type", and it has a value of XVMC_MPEG_1. Does this mean that it doesn't do MPEG2? As I recall, a major difference between MPEG 1 & 2 is that MPEG2 has interlacing. My HD files are interlaced. Is there someway to tell mplayer (or any other player) to deinterlace the data before sending it to the hardware?

Thanks.
pixelpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 05:12 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: NV17 & HD MPEG acceleration : MPEG 1 only?

Haven't done any XvMC programming but as far as I know the geforce4mx family fully support s XvMC including Motion Compensation and IDCT. It should work for both mpeg1 and 2 I think. I remember that the XvMC implementation of media players isn't allways that efficient and that it doesn't help that much in all cases. For instance try to compare cpu usage without and with XvMC, it should show a difference.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 10:51 AM   #3
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

Dumb question: what types of HW decompression does NV40 support? (Cannot find my manual)
And does MPlayer use it automatically or I have to pass some args?
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 11:34 AM   #4
Thunderbird

The XvMC extension only provides functionality for MPEG 1 / 2 decoding. Geforce6 and 7 cards can also offer some MPEG4 / WMF decoding, MPEG encoding (not sure which versions) and more. The problem is that none of this additional functionality codenamed 'PureVideo' is available for Linux right now. Further not all Geforce6/7 boards offer the same functionality. For instance early Geforce6 boards (NV40) don't contain Windows Media acceleration support while newer models do. It is a big mess.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote