Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-05, 04:53 AM   #13
Thoreau

Arrow Re: Driver for Nforce4 in linux?

If you are doing RAID of more than 2 drives, you will need a 64bit pci bus or PCIe or whatever they call it now. 133 MB/s is not the actual or theoretical for a 32 bit bus. It's half that if you're lucky. The bus speed is 66 MHz Max for a 32 bit PCI bus. Server motherboards don't have 64bit slots for RAID for nothing. It's necessary.

The Areca is a good card, but I prefer GPL drivers that come with 3ware's new 9550SX controller. http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9000.asp. Kernel native, and hardware that's blazing fast for people with a clue, and with online RAID expansion. Which means you can swap out drives to a larger size and increase the partition size on the fly.

Hardware RAID cards are not expensive. It 2 port 3ware card starts at 100 bucks. Calculate the time that you'll blow on not being able to boot, and I'm sure it'll more than makeup for it in your lifetime.

If you want more bells and whistles like a battery backup for the controller, or more ports, or SATA II, yea- it'll end up going as high as 500-700 bucks for a top of the line card.

but you ain't looking at that if you are using motherboard software RAID. you just want it to work. Grab a 2 or 4 port 3ware and go to town. If you want to do RAID expansion or optional battery backup, get the 9000 series. If you just want it to work, get the 8000 series. In any case, I hope this helps.

Don't expect Nvidia to sell hardware RAID on their chipsets. They aren't in that business. It's too expensive for them and frankly it's for windows weenies that think they're getting something for nothing. There ain't nothin free in this world no matter how much you wish it were so. Good luck.

Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 04:43 AM   #14
dwynter

Default Re: Driver for Nforce4 in linux?

So are nVidia unaware of this problem? I clearly mentioned that I was using RHEL4 which is a 2.6.9 kernel and according to what I received from ASUS today (after 10 days wait)

2.6.x kernel unbootable on some systems
There is a bug in the 2.6.x kernel MP table handling that prevents install and OS boot on some systems¹.
This bug causes memory corruption upon detection of any PCI bus numbered higher than 32, and consequently
renders the system unusable very early in the install or boot process. On some systems leaving ACPI on during
boot fixes this problem.

There are currently no known workarounds for this problem, but a kernel patch for it has been accepted and
is expected to be included in future distribution releases.

¹At the time of writing, the only nForce systems known to trigger this kernel bug are CK804 MP systems.

so netllama might have saved me 3 days of trying to find out what was wrong. Or is this problem specific to the ASUS K8N-DL implementation?

David
dwynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 05:25 AM   #15
dwynter

Huh, just realised that the "Known problems" link I posted in an earlier message had a briefer version of the message in my posting earlier today, since it did not mention the CK804 MP explicitly had not realised it was a problem with my motherboard. Obviously neither did the nVidia employee.....

David
dwynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 01:58 PM   #16
Brane2

Quote:
Linux nForce drivers are available here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

If you need something else, please elaborate.

Thanks,
Lonni
Not quite. Try DL-ing the latest one for AMD64. Error 404. (26th.Nov.05)

There is so much graphical crap on www.nvidia.com, yet not one simple site admin's email or link to the ftp server with drivers etc.
Brane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 05:26 AM   #17
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
[...snip...]Finally, i purchased a Tekram/Areca ARC-1210 PCIe x8 controller [...snip...]
Regards

Bernhard
Please, could you tell me/us if you are using that card in a PCIe x8 slot that is wired for 8x?

I have a SM H8DCE mobo that has PCIe x8 slots but they are wired as 4x. The throughput you stated (~155MBps) sounds like you might have a 4x wired slot too.

Thanks.

Ric

Edit: found reference to Samsung SATA300 disks so removed that question
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 01:22 PM   #18
fhj52

Quote:
[...snip...]

Finally, i purchased a Tekram/Areca ARC-1210 PCIe x8 controller for [...snip...]

This little beast is a rocket: 155 MByte/s sustained transfer rate[...snip]

Regards

Bernhard
What mainboard is that on?

Oh, BTW, PCI bus shares all its bandwidth with everything else on that bus so one never gets theoretical throughput in a real implementation... however, 27MBps(the Escalade results) is horrible even with sharing. Thanks for the info.

Ric

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
Old 12-30-05, 06:58 PM   #19
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhj52
What mainboard is that on?
I successfully operated the ARC-1210 in the second PEG slot
of an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe in x1 and x8 mode. At x8 mode,
the sustained transfer rate was 155 MByte/sec (with a four
disk RAID5 setup). In x1 mode, performance drops to
140 MByte/sec.

A couple of month ago, i switched to an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
(because of passive cooling and the PCIe x4 slot). The two
PEG slots are populated with 7800 GTX cards (for a tripple-head
setup). I needed to cut of the end of x4 slot so that the ARC-1210
(which is an x8 card) fits in. Unfornuatly, there is only one pair of
lanes connected to the x4 slot, so that the controller only works in
x1 mode (only 140 MByte/sec), but that's not a too big issue for me.

Hopefully, there are soon new AMD64 mainboards out with plenty
of configurable PEG slots, something link this:

http://www2.tomshardware.de/motherboard/20051017/ (german)
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=180

Anyway, an open-ended "true" x4 slot should be good enough.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 11:28 PM   #20
fhj52

Quote:
I successfully operated the ARC-1210 in the second PEG slot
of an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe in x1 and x8 mode. At x8 mode,
the sustained transfer rate was 155 MByte/sec (with a four
disk RAID5 setup). In x1 mode, performance drops to
140 MByte/sec.

A couple of month ago, i switched to an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
(because of passive cooling and the PCIe x4 slot). The two
PEG slots are populated with 7800 GTX cards (for a tripple-head
setup). I needed to cut of the end of x4 slot so that the ARC-1210
(which is an x8 card) fits in. Unfornuatly, there is only one pair of
lanes connected to the x4 slot, so that the controller only works in
x1 mode (only 140 MByte/sec), but that's not a too big issue for me.

Hopefully, there are soon new AMD64 mainboards out with plenty
of configurable PEG slots, something link this:

http://www2.tomshardware.de/motherboard/20051017/ (german)
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=180

Anyway, an open-ended "true" x4 slot should be good enough.

regards

Bernhard
Thank you very much!
Coincidentally I had just looked at some prices for the 1210 & 1220. Newegg has the 1210 for ~ 404USD (to a ~USA door) & Buy.com for 380USD to the door. (1220 is 600USD...).
The 4x mode at > 140MB/s (& <150MB/s) is fine I think 'cause it will run in the 8x slot that is wired for 4x when/if I get a second 7800GTX for the other SLI x16 slot. Only losing <15MB/s is really good. I only have SATA150s anyway. ...
I'll have to look closer at the 1210/20 since HARM is such a PITA. It sure is odd how my mobo died just after config for NV RAID in Win2k... just coincidence I suppose.

Um, 4(FOUR) dual output VGA cards running 8(eight) monitors from a single CPU mobo - an Intel P4 - at that??? Not me bro. That mobo should come with water cool setup on-board and/or this fan: http://www.air-n-water.com/product/MMB10.html

Have A Nice Weekend,

Ric

SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.

Last edited by fhj52; 12-30-05 at 11:43 PM.

Old 12-31-05, 06:14 AM   #21
JaXXoN

Quote:
The 4x mode at > 140MB/s (& <150MB/s) is fine I think 'cause it will run in the 8x slot that is wired for 4x when/if I get a second 7800GTX for the other SLI x16 slot. Only losing <15MB/s is really good. I only have SATA150s anyway.
I guess in 4x mode, the controller will even operate at full speed:
I once did some benchmarks with a GeForce6600 with x16, x8 and
x1 mode - there was no notable drop of the fps at x8 mode compared
to x16. At x1, it was 5 to 15% slower.

Quote:
I'll have to look closer at the 1210/20 since HARM is such a PITA.
If you like to have software RAID for both, Windows and Linux, you
might alternativly considering to purchase another four SATA drives,
so that you have one Linux software RAID5 set for Linux and one
NVRAID set for Windows. But this variant is not much cheaper
then an ARC-1210 solution, i guess, and a true battery buffered HW
RAID causes way less troubles anyway.

Quote:
Um, 4(FOUR) dual output VGA cards running 8(eight) monitors from a single CPU mobo - an Intel P4 - at that??? Not me bro.
I guess there are applications for such a setup, but i'm more interessted
in having four x16 sized PCIe slots with configurable lanes (i.e. x8/x8/x8/x8
or x16/x16/x4/x4).

regards

Bernhard
Old 12-31-05, 06:24 AM   #22
JaXXoN

Quote:
I had just looked at some prices for the 1210 & 1220. Newegg has the 1210 for ~ 404USD (to a ~USA door) & Buy.com for 380USD to the door.
Wow, i needed to pay 550 Euro (~ 660 USD) for the 1210 half a year ago
(cheapest source in Germany).

Quote:
I only have SATA150s anyway. ...
I'm only having SATA150 drives, too. The SATA link is IMHO not the
bottleneck. However, SATA300 drivers also support Native Command
Queuing (that the 1210 can handle) and which should improove
performance at database or alike applications.

regards

Bernhard
Old 01-02-06, 03:18 AM   #23
fhj52

Quote:
[snip...]
If you like to have software RAID for both, Windows and Linux, you
might alternativly considering to purchase another four SATA drives,
so that you have one Linux software RAID5 set for Linux and one
NVRAID set for Windows. But this variant is not much cheaper
then an ARC-1210 solution, i guess, and a true battery buffered HW
RAID causes way less troubles anyway.
Four 80GB Seagate SATA150 at Newegg are ~265USD to~USA~door(the ones I bought), still, although that might drop some since those are the older models. Still manufactured I believe, and reported to be better than the newer models although I could not quite figure out why.
[OT]
I did, after receiving mine, find out why some people are reporting DOA or short term deaths(STD). Newegg is wrapping the drives, in their static shield, in bubble plastic and sending them in peanuts. Almost EVERY g-force the box gets is translated to the drive. Mine had NO AIR in the bubbles on one side of the drive. That side was the side where the drive was facing the bottom of the box, indicating the air bubble had burst due to stress such as the box being dropped.
Seagate created the "Sea Shield" to prevent that problem and all other drives, OEM included, that I have received used it. I don't know why Newegg did not use the Sea Shield but do have plans to ask because I am concerned that the drives will suddenly die. Perhaps it is "OEM Drive" shipping policy or perhaps it was a packaging error. I don't know if mine are going to die soon or not... the drives had quite a bit of g-force shock to burst those bubbles but there is no way to gauge how much they actually took over the entire trip. Perhaps it was just that once when the bubbles burst... I hope so.
[/OT]

Quote:
I guess there are applications for such a setup, but i'm more interessted
in having four x16 sized PCIe slots with configurable lanes (i.e. x8/x8/x8/x8
or x16/x16/x4/x4).

regards

Bernhard
Yes, I agree!
AS long as all x16 are wired for x16 it seems like a better solution for mobo-makers who are trying to please the end user, be it OEM or consumer.
They can make room for the extra length by removing the floppy drive connector.

PS:
BTW, Tom's Hardware has an article about the Gigabyte 4x PCIe x16 mobo also: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/...e_motherboard/ that I ran into the other day(it is from October...). They,unfortunately, also focused on using the Gigabyte's GA-8N SLI Quad Royal for multi-monitor display rather than testing how well multiple RAID &/or other cards would work.

Old 01-02-06, 05:25 AM   #24
fhj52

Hey Bernhard, ,
Quote:
Wow, i needed to pay 550 Euro (~ 660 USD) for the 1210 half a year ago
(cheapest source in Germany).
Well, it is less now at 395USD(slight price drop!) but is still, ithink, quite high. I am thinking about it... if the 8-port ARC 1220 version was 400USD then the decision w/b easier.
BTW, the 12-port, Arc 1230, is 805USD!

I had considered doing what you suggested earlier ( with (2) RAID 10 volumes using 8 drives ) but the problem is communication between datasets. I get stuck in Windows for long periods of time because of a few proprietary programs and, of course, the nearly manic playing of some game for a short while. I need to have some data shared but two different RAID sets won't allow that.
Quote:
I'm only having SATA150 drives, too. The SATA link is IMHO not the
bottleneck. However, SATA300 drivers also support Native Command
Queuing (that the 1210 can handle) and which should improove
performance at database or alike applications.

regards

Bernhard
The SATA150s I bought support NCQ although some tests I saw(storagereview.com) indicate it does not help and sometimes actually made throughput slower.
It appears that the truly distinct difference is because the SATA300 have a 16MB cache. If the SATA150 had 16MB, I think the speed difference would be nearly zero for all but rare applications/uses (but I have no proof of that since there are not any SATA150 16MB cache drives that have such tests).
I found one place that had tested sustained rates as high as 200MB/s for SATA150! If I get 100MB/s sustained I'll be pretty happy; 150MB/s or more will make me feel like king of the hill!

Your method, with the ARC 1210, is the shortest route to get there as long as they continue to support Linux, i.e., add deb distro such as ubuntu at some point. I have to give it some serious thought. The time saved in that implementation might make it worth it. I use UPS and always will (as I think every serious computer user should) so do not need the battery backup module($170).

I thank you for the input. It helps to sort out options.

To be completely frank, I am pretty PO'd at NV because NONE of this would be necessary if they had not obfuscated the truth about the onboard RAID controller. The thought that I am considering paying another 400USD to get what I thought I had already paid to get really jerks my chain. I could have, and probably would have, bought a different mobo at a lesser cost so there would be extra funds to buy the ARC 1210 or similar.

c-ya