Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-05, 07:49 PM   #73
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: PCgamer slammed Quake4 ?

I'm not saying hype is good. I'm just saying its unusual for a game this big. I mean, at other forums people didn't even know it went gold. And the Planetquake forums are a ghost town. Its extremely unusual.

And Mafia and Riddick were not well known names.

The hype surrounding doom3 and HL2 was enormous, and the Quake franchise is almost as big, but yet there doesn't seem to be an enormous amount of hype.
Old 10-09-05, 11:31 PM   #74
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
"Over the course of its 15-year existence, developer Raven Software has been pushing the boundaries. It raised the bar (orlowered it, depending on your view) for hyper realistic gore with Solider of Fortune and went where no developer had gone before with Star Trek: Elite Force - not just one of the best Trek games ever made, but also one of the best shooters released in 2000. One of its few non-shooter efforts, X-Men Legends, has become the best selling X-Men game ever. And no list of Raven winners would be complete without its collaborations with id Software, most notably the Heretic and Hexen franchises.

So why is it that Quake 4, Raven's recent teaming iwth id, plays it very, very safe? A solid shooter, it's nonetheless a throwback to a time before Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, and Far Cry - an era in shooters when all you needed was a big gun and an even bigger boss monster to aim it at. And unlike other Recent "retro" shooters like Painkiller and Serioius Sam, Quake 4 doesnt offer inventive level designs, unique flair, or a budget price tag.

But there is one boundary it pushes: How much you're willing to pay for a 10-hour retread campaign and bot-less Quake III-style multiplay."

"As much as it pains me to say it, there isn't a single fresh idea in Quake 4. Gameplay is a Frankenstein's monster of bits and pieces from earlier games stitched together into a serviceable lump that may satisfy lovers of pure shooting mayhem, but is all stuff we've seen many times before. Worse, the borrowed parts were moldy to begin with."

"Graphics play heavily into Quake 4's multiplayer mode, which is essentially a "Best Of" Quake II and III's multiplayer gameplay (and maps). My favorite deathmatch map of all time, "The Longest Yard", has been made-over, courtesy of the Domo 3 engine, into "The Longest Day," while "The Edge" (from QII) is now "Over the Edge" and Q3's last map, "The Very End of You", has been reimagined as "Xaero Gravity"."

"All told, there are five multiplayer modes: Deathmatch (9 maps), Team Deathmatch, Tourney (1v1ranked competitions on DM maps), CTF (5 maps), and Arena CTF. The style is pure Q3 - fast action, lots of power ups (Quad Damage, Haste) and the single-player's limp Blaster gets the boot in favor of the razor-bladed Gaunlet for humiliation kills."

It then whines for a while that there are only bots and... you'll have to find people to play with (er hello. Internet?), before concluding:

"Because those 10 hours may be filled with good, solid shooting action (albeit time-warped from 1997), but they're not the great 10 hours we've come to expect from Raven and id."

"Final Verdict:

Highs - Loads of action; gruesome visuals; Q3DM17 with Doom 3 graphics

Lows - Uninspired gameplay; Stroggification plot twist goes nowhere; no multiplayer bots.

Bottom line - This old-school shooter suffers from a lack of 21st-century game design."
Old 10-09-05, 11:44 PM   #75
|MaguS|

Eh, It's expected... Don't see why Doom3 didn't have the same thing said about it.

Old 10-09-05, 11:56 PM   #76
Gabrobot

If this is true, then this is the last straw...I haven't even got the latest issue of PCGamer (the one with the Fear review). On top of that, if they give Quake 4 a 70% after they gave Unreal 2 a 72%, then that's it for my subscription. I admit that Quake 4 looks like it could turn out somewhat uninspired, but no way is it worse then Unreal 2. I'd expect a rating in the 80% range, but not a 70%.
Old 10-10-05, 12:58 AM   #77
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Eh, It's expected... Don't see why Doom3 didn't have the same thing said about it.
Exactly,

However if q4 had a new engine i think their tune may of changed.
Old 10-10-05, 01:05 AM   #78
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrobot
If this is true, then this is the last straw...I haven't even got the latest issue of PCGamer (the one with the Fear review). On top of that, if they give Quake 4 a 70% after they gave Unreal 2 a 72%, then that's it for my subscription. I admit that Quake 4 looks like it could turn out somewhat uninspired, but no way is it worse then Unreal 2. I'd expect a rating in the 80% range, but not a 70%.
But like Doom 3, Unreal 2 had a new graphics engine and new art to show off, thats what gave it the score boost but Quake 4 is rehashing art design and the engine isn't anything special anymore...

Old 10-10-05, 01:27 AM   #79
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Psh says you. D3 still impresses the hell [sic] out of me everytime I run it.
Old 10-10-05, 01:35 AM   #80
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Im getting Fear first then no doubt about and just 10 hours ? For quake this is very low for Fear i can understand that but not for quake and people were complaining doom3 was short then wtf is quake4 then.

I think ID should have made q4 not raven afterall.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |

Old 10-10-05, 01:50 AM   #81
zafarsaand

according to the pc gamer forums quake 4 is not even reviewed yet!

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10381

read the xzoren comments.

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=15

PCG DID NOT REVIEW QUAKE IV... PCG DID NOT REVIEW QUAKE IV... PCG DID NOT REVIEW QUAKE IV!!

C'mon now. Don't make me break out The Stick.
Old 10-10-05, 02:07 AM   #82
|MaguS|

No offense but how does he know? He has nothing to back his statement, he's not a member of the PCGamer Staff.

Old 10-10-05, 02:40 AM   #83
Superfly
Retired

From Gamershell:

I went to San Francisco recently to preview Quake 4 for GamersHell and was not disappointed by what I found. Moreover, as I entered the presentation room, I was amazed to see two Xbox 360s set up as well. Needless to say, this got my heart racing before even turning my attention to Quake 4. But, the moment of truth was finally here, and it was likely to bowl me over considering the ten or so PCs lining the walls with accompanying Logitech mice and a connected sound system designed to blow out eardrums. Those in attendance were given the opportunity to play four single-player maps, then four multiplayer maps.

To put it simply, the single-player experience was awe-inspiring. The opening cinematic sequence was like watching a movie, and after you are shot down during it, you get to take control of the central character. Note: I didn’t initially notice I had control of in-game proceedings because I thought I was still watching the cinematic. That alone should tell you just how pretty this game is and how seamless the final product promises to be. Your character is a little hurt after being shot down, but you soon locate a medic and are swiftly healthy again. Then it’s off to find your squad. Navigating the game’s indoor environments was very reminiscent of Doom 3—though perhaps not quite as dark. Monsters inevitably burst out of confines as you walk through corridors and such, but you and your squad are more than capable of blowing them straight to hell. Eventually, you’ll come across a machine gun and, when you operate the zoom function, it handily doubles as a sniper rifle, which is always cool. Personally speaking, there was one particular section of the opening map that scared the pants off me. While running down a tight hallway with pipes running along one side, a screaming monster suddenly rammed its head through an adjoining wall and struggled and fought like a mad man to get at me—almost fell of my damn chair as a result. Blowing its head off made me feel a little better, though. Whilst progressing and talking to squad members, it dawned that they were all betting on how long I’d stay alive. Nice bunch. Now, after this lovely level, I was treated to some trench fighting, which included running around and trying to find a way out.

Multiplayer was next on the preview agenda. Those attending played through various modes including Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture the Flag. The overall experience was fantastic. However, and just as with Quake 3 there won’t be any vehicles attached to the multiplayer facet. Not that it necessarily suffers without them, though. As it was, things were fast and furious and GamersHell was well represented across the sample modes. All the previewed maps were of a good size and well balanced throughout.
Old 10-10-05, 02:46 AM   #84
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
Im getting Fear first then no doubt about and just 10 hours ? For quake this is very low for Fear i can understand that but not for quake and people were complaining doom3 was short then wtf is quake4 then.
I think you're misremembering how long Quake games are. I can beat Quake II in around 6 hours (maybe 7 on hard, but maybe less), and I can't remember how long Quake took me, but it wasn't that long.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Closed Thread