Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-05, 09:13 AM   #13
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: BF2 pilots - how do you set your controls for max effectiveness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaboy
jet controls seem very very sluggish to me -- i cranked all my sensitivities up to the max for a while, but that made the jet flop all over the place

any suggestions?
Practice. I was just horrible with jets at first -- not that I would be spectaculary brilliant now -- always turn either too much or too little. I didn't bother tweaking the control settings too much, I just got used to them. So my suggestion is to restore mouse sensitivity for airplanes back to default, get used to them and get some practice. You'll get used to them. And remember: afterburner is your and your target's guardian angel.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-05, 09:28 AM   #14
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Send a message via ICQ to sonaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Hmm... which ones are those? I didnt even know there were 2 seater jets... I mostly just completely avoided them

Is it the bomber position? Or do I fire an MG\missile?

Im good with helicopters btw, I just cant do squat with the jets. Everyone can outmaneuver me in the air, and I cant seem to hit anything on the ground without crashing.
Bombers are on maps: Daquing Oil Fields, Kubra Dam, Gulf of Oman (MEC side only), Operation Clean Sweep.

when riding in the bomber, you're actually the guy who shoots laser guided air to ground missiles. it's the same as being a gunner on a copter - it's the secondary fire button that puts you in the target mode. you basically keep your target on ground assets as you fly over, and the target will "lock" and you fire - and then as you pass, try and keep your mouse target as close to the locked target as possible. even an indirect hit will take out any vehicle on the board instantly.
the only difference between it and the copter gunner is, you don't get to "ride" with the missile after you fire, you remain in the ****pit and use the target to guide the missile all the way in.

the bomber is slightly bigger than the regular jet, and if you look closely at it, it's got WAY more missiles and armaments under it than the regular jets.
Old 10-07-05, 12:04 PM   #15
AgentOtaku
The Big Boss

Using my Logitech Rumblepad2 for Heli and Jet controls

the dual analog support is a world of difference and I'll usually be piloting the fully manned BlackHawk that mows down everyone
P4 3.0GHZ HT/Windows XP; BFG 6800GT OC 256mb; 2gb Kingston/Corsair PC3200 DDR 400; Sound Blaster Audigy2; Samsung 80gig 7200rpm HDD =x2; Samsung 52x CDR/CDRW ; NEC DVD DL Burner; Abit IS7 - E Mobo; 172x Samsung LCD; Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case; Logitech MX510; Zippy Ultra-thin Eluminated Keyboard

"I never minded piracy. Anyone who minds about piracy is full of ****. Anyone who pirates your game wasn’t going to buy it anyway!" - Warren Spector

Gamertag: AgentOtaku
AgentOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 12:46 PM   #16
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOtaku
-- I'll usually be piloting the fully manned BlackHawk that mows down everyone
And I hope that'll change with the new patch.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
Old 10-07-05, 01:33 PM   #17
AgentOtaku
The Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
And I hope that'll change with the new patch.

Its not that bad....a blackhawk that isn't manned is just a useless

also keep in mind how slow one is and can easily be shot out of there air
P4 3.0GHZ HT/Windows XP; BFG 6800GT OC 256mb; 2gb Kingston/Corsair PC3200 DDR 400; Sound Blaster Audigy2; Samsung 80gig 7200rpm HDD =x2; Samsung 52x CDR/CDRW ; NEC DVD DL Burner; Abit IS7 - E Mobo; 172x Samsung LCD; Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case; Logitech MX510; Zippy Ultra-thin Eluminated Keyboard

"I never minded piracy. Anyone who minds about piracy is full of ****. Anyone who pirates your game wasn’t going to buy it anyway!" - Warren Spector

Gamertag: AgentOtaku
AgentOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 01:50 PM   #18
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:

Yeah, I can take them down really easily with a machinegun and a good place to shoot from. A little cover helps too if a gunner spots me. 9\10 times though, I can take a helicopter down one way or another. Especially if I have a tank... I can hit the damn things with a cannon from half a mile away while moving

EDIT: Jets are another thing entirely though... its easier to take them down in 1.03, but they are nearly impossible to take down with anything but a heat seaking missile.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 01:58 PM   #19
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:

True and true. The problem is that way too often fully manned Blackhawk is used for base- or spawnraping.

The other reason why I dislike Blackhawk is that both MEC and PLA troop transporation choppers are equipped with an ordinary machine gun that is next to useless from a moving vehicle. Seems that it's next to impossible kill the operator of mounted AA with that thing, no matter if you aim at or estimate the movement. He just won't die. I suppose I don't have to say how it works with Gatling...

Old 10-07-05, 02:35 PM   #20
ralinn
Masters

I use a mouse and keyboard for piloting... I find it much faster.

I've bound the rear view of the plane on my mouse too, this makes dogfight much easier as you know when someone is following you. Switching to bombs while following someone until close enough for a easy lock kill is a well known and very good tactic so having a rear view as close to your finger as possible is effective against it.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-05, 07:16 PM   #21
de><ta
prodigy

Jets totally rock.

I am getting the hang of helicopters right now but jets are just so much better. The only threat you have is other jets and those ground SAM units.

I simply use the normal default controls: WASD together with the arrow keys. Gives you very precise control ie. I can fly through tree and other areas where most Jet fighters wouldnt dare follow me.

I honestly reckon the jet is way too powerfull in this game. And those big bombers rock, they probably have the best stability and can take two missile hits before going down.

Some hints:
-have a key for looking back. It helps you roll your plane in the right directions and is great for dodging missiles.
-if you have a missile lock on the best way to loose it is to fly around some other aircrafts or heat sources (ie. in gulf of oman)
-the best way to shake some one of your tail is to do a crash bogey, pretend to hit the ground, slow down a lot (maintain speed above 450 though) and as you are about to hit the ground just rise up and use the afterburner. The advantage is that the person following you will always fly past you in such cases.
-also always have it set up in bomb mode. Switch to missile mode only once you are certain of a kill and within range.
-plus the machine gun on the jets totally rock too!

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 08:17 PM   #22
hypertek

i just hate jumping in for a ride with a nooob pilot.. u all know what i mean... I didnt htink it was possible for a helicopter to go upside down in flight llol
4gb ddr2 800
2X Seagate 320hd 7200.10 Raid 0
Creative X-fi Xtreme Music
Logitec X-530 5.1 surround system
Ultra 500w PSU
hypertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 10:44 AM   #23
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Send a message via ICQ to sonaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertek
i just hate jumping in for a ride with a nooob pilot.. u all know what i mean... I didnt htink it was possible for a helicopter to go upside down in flight llol
on the official site, they actually say the PLA copter is powerful enough to do a full loop.

anyone actually gone into one and recovered? because i haven't seen it!
Old 10-10-05, 10:01 PM   #24
Amuro
Newtype Ace

The reason I use a joystick is that I grew up playing space and combat flight sims, so a joystick setup feels very natural to me... plus it also adds to immersion. Flying with a mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel right for me.

BTW, all jets and helis take two missile hits before going down, not just the bombers.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote