Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-05, 11:52 AM   #49
|MaguS|

Default Re: OMG, KING KONG Demo Tommorow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig
Yes it does and exactly the reason I will not look at the demo or release.
boohooo
Old 10-08-05, 12:58 PM   #50
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

good gameplay.
great graphics.
poor textures.
great animations.

overall i like it, but i think ill take a controller for the king kong parts.
Old 10-08-05, 02:30 PM   #51
Zandig

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
boohooo
Starforce is evil
Too many issues with it.
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

Oh yeah, it really makes sense to include it in a demo
Zandig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 02:49 PM   #52
OWA

One of the gaming sites did an interview a while back and they asked the starforce rep why demos included starforce. The guy said it was done to make it harder on the hackers/crackers. If they didn't do it, the hackers would have full access to some of the game's files making it easier to find ways around the protection once the actual retail game is released.

Anyway, I already have starforce on my system so the demos having it isn't a big deal. I doubt I'll buy the full-game though since I already have two games that I have to use the CD for and that is two too many. I rarely play those two b/c of having to use the CDs as it is.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 02:57 PM   #53
Elvin Presler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz
Be careful, as this demo also installs "Starforce" copy protection onto your system.
Thank you. I won't be touching this "virus" or the retail then. When will they learn? Seriously.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 08:13 PM   #54
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Graphically it didnt attract me one bit , but the gameplay is fun! the king kong's part kicks ass.
game controls are somewhat bad for the K+M i think the game is more suitable for consoles.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 10:45 PM   #55
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I must say, it's an interesting game. The graphics actually impressed me quite a bit, especially considering this game has to be scaled all the way down to the level of the PS2. It also has a very nice volumetric lighting system, I'm not sure how they did it (or faked it?) but it looks spectacular. Definately better than I expected a multi-platform, movie-licensed game to be.

Gameplay is a fairly enjoyable. The Kong part was by far the most fun, for some reason even though the controls aren't overly responsive (since you're controlling a 50-ton beast that wouldn't be able to move at lightning-speed) it still managed to be entertaining. The first-person section was a bit odd...actually it reminded me quite a bit of Trespasser in the way that you aim and how your character says how much ammo he has left and such. The controls do seem a bit strange using mouse and keyboard though, mainly because the view auto-centers when you move. But with the whole "update manager" and Starforce protection, I'd prefer to get the game on a console anyway so I don't have to worry about that crap (and it annoys the hell out of me the way the demo tries to connect online 5 or 6 times while you play).

Oh, and the loading times are amazing. LESS THAN A SECOND for a full section, and even the menu screen is in real-time (I thought it was a video at first because it didn't take any time to load).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 01:56 AM   #56
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
Thank you. I won't be touching this "virus" or the retail then. When will they learn? Seriously.
When will they learn? The whole reason we have Starforce is because people pirate games. Get used to it. Starforce, and intrusive apps and programs will be used in the future to combat this.

With that being said, Starforce is hardly a virus.

Virus's are intent on destroying your system. To say "Starforce" is anything similar, is just hilarous IMO.

If it keeps games from getting pirated, I say more power to them.

The only beef I have with Starforce, is that some games don't work properly with X64 with it. But a virus? Gimme a break. Starforce is a reputable company, and using their tool as a "virus" will lose customers. AKA Developers. They know better than that.

Do you think Starforce wants to go bankrupt? If word gets around that they are packaging a "virus", no developer would support them, because they will lose customers. Just think about it.

Old 10-09-05, 02:40 AM   #57
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
When will they learn? The whole reason we have Starforce is because people pirate games. Get used to it. Starforce, and intrusive apps and programs will be used in the future to combat this.

With that being said, Starforce is hardly a virus.

Virus's are intent on destroying your system. To say "Starforce" is anything similar, is just hilarous IMO.

If it keeps games from getting pirated, I say more power to them.

The only beef I have with Starforce, is that some games don't work properly with X64 with it. But a virus? Gimme a break. Starforce is a reputable company, and using their tool as a "virus" will lose customers. AKA Developers. They know better than that.

Do you think Starforce wants to go bankrupt? If word gets around that they are packaging a "virus", no developer would support them, because they will lose customers. Just think about it.

In theory it wouldn't be bad... but it DOES come close to destroying systems... on my previous PC after it was "installed" my DVD-ROM drive no longer worked, until I removed starforce.

Also, it hurts the PAYING CUSTOMER more than pirates... pirates can get into these damn games easier than us paying customers... and they are foolish for thinking they will actually make something uncrackable... it isn't happening and it is only hurting customers more.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 03:19 AM   #58
PSYCHODAD
cereal killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Gentle - the problem is the Saitek Gaming Keyboard, not the game. Windows recognizes the keyboard as a joystick itself and for some reason, the keyboard gives an automatic "up-left" movement constantly. That is what is causing this. I had the same problem in some emulators as well, and with Battlefield 2. It drove me insane. I finally just switched back to my old Logitech and no problems anymore. I really don't like the Saitek keyboard much anyway - many of the keys were unresponsive or oversensitive and I often had problems with typos, etc.
Thanks for the heads-up. I never would have figured that it was the keyboard making my game spin around.
I deleted the Saitek keyboard from Device Manager and rebooted, which fixed the problem. Game plays fine now.
System #1
CPU INTEL|3rd gen I-7@3.7ghz
16gb memory Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
PSU Siverstone Zeus 850w
EVGA 660gtx
Logitech G400 gaming mouse
Dell 2407WFP 24" lcd

Video Games -- Why waste good technology on science and medicine?
PSYCHODAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 03:47 AM   #59
zampe
HVO Master Sergeant

Send a message via ICQ to zampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp

Starforce drivers, installed in your system, grants ring-0 (OS core) privileges to any code from ring-3 (user level) - in this case any virus or trojan can get OS privileges and totally control you on your system. (...) Do you know, why some Protection Technologies (and similar) ignore [Microsoft's] conventions about safety and trusted code for execution in system level (ring0 )? They even modify ntoskrnl.exe (SwapContext function, for hooking system scheduler) . Look for evidence in their code - what you think, why they did'nt sent their drivers to Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL)? One answer: their code ignores any safety and quality policy on operation system level (including granting system privileges to any user-level process).

and... yes StarForce protected games will NOT run under Windows XP Pro 64

my case
Before two months I bought new DVDburner, NEC ND-3540A .
It read all tiptop ok, but Nero even couldn't write nothing, I was so hopeless. Then I remembered that I have Silent Hunter 3 in my machine what was infected with STARFORCE. After uninstaling game... starting starforce cleaner and rebooting, my burner start working accurately.
zampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 09:13 AM   #60
Zandig

A good read concerning STARFORCE copy protection:
http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html
Zandig is offline   Reply With Quote