Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-05, 12:19 PM   #61
OWA

Default Re: OMG, KING KONG Demo Tommorow

Nice overview and up-to-date list. Thanks for the link.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 02:39 PM   #62
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I doubt I'll buy the full-game though since I already have two games that I have to use the CD for and that is two too many. I rarely play those two b/c of having to use the CDs as it is.
LOL! Are you my twin brother or what? One of the nice things about most PC games is that they are cracked so you never even have to pop in a cd/dvd, and switching from game to game is fast and easy off the hard disk. I have a couple games that need mounting software to run without a cd/dvd and I don't like to use that method, so they never, ever get played.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 08:57 PM   #63
Gentle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Gentle - the problem is the Saitek Gaming Keyboard, not the game. Windows recognizes the keyboard as a joystick itself and for some reason, the keyboard gives an automatic "up-left" movement constantly. That is what is causing this. I had the same problem in some emulators as well, and with Battlefield 2. It drove me insane. I finally just switched back to my old Logitech and no problems anymore. I really don't like the Saitek keyboard much anyway - many of the keys were unresponsive or oversensitive and I often had problems with typos, etc.
I've played the Battlefied 2 demo without any problems at all...

But I read this on their website and will try this solution now.

-----

Q3: I'm having problems with some games when I try and run them with the Gamers' Keyboard plugged in - what can I do?

A3: There are a couple of known games that have issues with the presence of the Gamers' Keyboard; known titles that have problems are the moment are Planetside, Star Wars: Battlefront and Thief: Deadly Shadows. Other titles may exist that have problems but they have not been reported yet.

There is a possible solution though - Click Start>Control Panel and open the System in there (you may have to click Performance and Maintenance before you can see the System icon if you're running Control Panel in Category View) and then click Hardware at the top of the window that comes up and then click Device Manager. Click the plus sign next to Human Interface Devices in the list of devices and you should see one or two (maybe more) entries called USB Human Interface Device. You need to disable one of them by right-clicking it and choosing Disable from the drop-down list of options.

Note: If you have only two such entries there in Device Manager then only one will be able to be disabled - the other will have the disable option greyed out in the drop-down list when you right click it. If however you have more than two such entries in Device Manager then you will need to ewnsure that you disable the correct one. This is done by double clicking on each one in turn and looking at what it says next to Location on the Properties page. The one that should be disabled will say USB Gaming Keyboard Pro next to Location. Once you have disabled that then try the game again and it should work fine.

-----

Note: This solved my problem. I had *3* USB Human Interface Devices in Device Manager. I disabled one and it worked.

Now, time for my input on this demo.

I liked it.

The graphics do seem a little simplistic at times.

I really enjoyed the gameplay with King Kong. Climbing on the vegetation covered cliffs. Jumping from place to place.

It almost immersed me. There is something missing though.

Gentle
Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 09:35 PM   #64
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Man, was way too easy and scripted but the t-rex chase was awesome. Very cinematic and worth a play.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 03:46 PM   #65
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Rain
LOL! Are you my twin brother or what? One of the nice things about most PC games is that they are cracked so you never even have to pop in a cd/dvd, and switching from game to game is fast and easy off the hard disk. I have a couple games that need mounting software to run without a cd/dvd and I don't like to use that method, so they never, ever get played.
Exactly.

Yeah, the mounting method is almost as inconvenient as having to use the CD/DVD.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 07:20 PM   #66
PenguinJim

I found the demo too poor to be worth any effort, such as restarting my PC for, and therefore I felt bad that I took such a chance upon it.

Seriously, though - I didn't feel it was a BAD game. Just that the FPS sequences were poor, easy, and over-scripted, the Kong fights were straightforward and (apart from some gorgeous Kong-butt) uninspiring, the Kong swingy-bits were laughable... I didn't notice any great graphics, or anything even 'good'. King Kong fighting a T-Rex was as good as it got - and the AI and playability of that reminded me of Double Dragon on my trusty Atari STE.

In case the developers are reading, I'll mention that 'acceptable' graphics (which is what they were) is no easy feat in late 2005. Also, I heard from someone yesterday that the death sequence was quite good. I have to admit, dying never occurred to me - I was just messing around, trying the demo, and then... completed it.

Which makes me think that, as with a lot of movie-game licenses, this one is intended for children. Only problem being, Starforce allows most of us to pop to the kitchen and make a coffee. What are kids supposed to do in that time?!