Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-05, 12:37 AM   #1
rhoward2

Default HDR problem with SC3: CT

I recently put together a new system which has an EVGA 7800 GTX KO card in it. I'm having a weird problem in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and could suggest a solution to me.

The game runs fine with all the graphics options maxxed except if I enable Tone Mapping under the HDR options. As soon as I enable this option and start up a game, the screen is very dark and Sam looks like a character from Tron (blue shiny outlines on parts of his body while the rest of him is totally black). If I switch to the low-light view, it is totally white (as if I am looking at a very bright light) so I can't see anything. However, when switching from low-light to normal vision, I get a split second during the transition where everything looks perfectly normal...Then it switches back to the blue outlines and dark screen. The thermal and electromagnetic views look ok, however.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've tried using the 78.01, 78.05 and 81.84 drivers and they all perform the same with regard to Tone Mapping.
rhoward2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 12:48 AM   #2
OWA

Default Re: HDR problem with SC3: CT

No, it's working fine for me with the 81.84s and it was fine with the 78.03/78.05s (for me, that is). Is it only on certain levels?

Edit: Although, I'm pretty sure I'm not using the latest patch. I don't think I ever installed the patch for it that gave the SM 2.0 cards a lot of the SM 3.0 features. If you're running that version, maybe try the game without that patch. If you're not using that patch, try it. That's the only thing I can think of. Sorry.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:33 AM   #3
rhoward2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
No, it's working fine for me with the 81.84s and it was fine with the 78.03/78.05s (for me, that is). Is it only on certain levels?
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about the levels thing. I just started playing the game and have only been working on the Lighthouse level thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Edit: Although, I'm pretty sure I'm not using the latest patch. I don't think I ever installed the patch for it that gave the SM 2.0 cards a lot of the SM 3.0 features. If you're running that version, maybe try the game without that patch. If you're not using that patch, try it. That's the only thing I can think of. Sorry.
Yeah, I am using the latest patch. I'll uninstall and reinstall the game and see if that has any effect. Looking through the specs in your sig, the system you have is pretty close to the one I just built. (Same motherboard, memory, etc). The main diff is you are using BFG GTX cards and I'm using EVGA ones. If Tone Mapping is working for you, it should be working for me, darnit!
Old 10-07-05, 11:04 AM   #4
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoward2
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about the levels thing. I just started playing the game and have only been working on the Lighthouse level thus far.
Okay, that's actually good b/c the lighthouse level is where I was checking. That'll make it easier to compare. While you're trying it without the patch, I'll download the patch and try it to see how that goes.

Edit: Okay, stupid question: how do I know what version I'm running? I don't see a version number anywhere on the main menu. Also, when checking their site, they show patch 1.01 as the main download, down the side you see 1.01 and 1.02 patches. Going to the forum, I saw they have a 1.03 and 1.04. It appears 1.04 is the latest. I tried the auto-update and it didn't work. So, I've downloaded 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04. At least the downloads were really fast.

http://patches.ubi.com/splinter_cell_chaos_theory/

Edit 2: I was running 1.0 before and now I'm running 1.04 but 1.04 is also working fine for me. I also tried running in single card mode to see if that made any difference but it still worked fine. I'm currently using the 81.84s. I also tried removing the predefined tag that keeps us from enabling AA from the nvidia CP panel so that I could try to force AA on even when HDR was on to see if that caused any artifacts. But, that didn't seem to have any effect.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 02:02 PM   #5
rhoward2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Edit 2: I was running 1.0 before and now I'm running 1.04 but 1.04 is also working fine for me. I also tried running in single card mode to see if that made any difference but it still worked fine. I'm currently using the 81.84s. I also tried removing the predefined tag that keeps us from enabling AA from the nvidia CP panel so that I could try to force AA on even when HDR was on to see if that caused any artifacts. But, that didn't seem to have any effect.
Thanks for testing things out. I'll still do the uninstall/reinstall tonight once I get home but if both 1.0 and 1.4 are working for you, I don't have much hope that unpatching will fix my problem. I switched from running 81.84 to 78.05 because 81.84 was giving some weird graphics glitches in Fable (which I'm also currently playing). Ahh, so many games, so little time...

Hmm, maybe the next thing I'll try is to change some of my BIOS settings to see if that has any effect.

Thanks again for testing it out on your system and letting me know it is working for you. Now, if I can only get it working for me...Although, if worse comes to worse, I'll just have to play the game with Tome Mapping disabled.