Old 12-12-05, 05:35 AM   #109
joe1999

Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

KenWoodland: Could you give us a link to those patches? Thanks
joe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 08:26 AM   #110
KenWoodland

Here are the diffs of the files that I modified to get sound, net and acpi working for the ASUS A8N-VM CSM.

The kernel I used to patch against was the Knoppmyth A22 (2.6.13.2-chw-3).
I downloaded the ALSA sound modules for 1.0.10 and patched them. (Follow the directions they provide for installing on a system that already has previous version of ALSA in the kernel).

Good luck, and please if anyone can help me get XvMC working on this board, I really would appreciate it!
Attached Files
File Type: txt alsa.patch.txt (1.5 KB, 1064 views)
File Type: txt forecdeth.patch.txt (67.9 KB, 483 views)
File Type: txt acpi.patch.txt (1.1 KB, 732 views)
KenWoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 04:06 PM   #111
rsrtfm
Suse user

Arrow Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

alsa sound,... compiled it,... the only reference on ad1986a ,
was in an patch,.... alsaconf,... picks up the hda_intel,...
did not want to jank the working soundblaster, pci 128,...
and can not select it in yast eather,... ad1948 is the highest,...
am I missing something ? how did you configure it ? alsaconf ?

for the forcedepth ?,... so the NIC always works after reboot ?
mine does not, needs a powerbutton on/off, once in a while,....
I'll look into the path, just scared, I'll mess it up, since it's kinda working.
and until I have sound on the ad1986a working, I don't have room for a nic card,.... makes me think about the gigabyte,.. has the pci-express next to the pci-e graphics slot,.... anybody have the gigabyte up and running on linux ??

the other thing, on windows, nvidia, does video overlay, mpeg in hardware,...
anything like that on the linux box ?
cheers, Robert --------------------- (NVIDIA)+asus+suse
Old 12-12-05, 05:40 PM   #112
patmartini

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The GeForce 61xx GPU will be supported in the next Linux driver release (1.0-8xxx).

Thanks,
Lonni

Supported? You're joking, right?
patmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 06:04 PM   #113
patmartini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrtfm
Hi Victor,
I'am in the same boat,.... take a look,
http://www.robsphoto.com/tmp/nvidia/suse_10.1/

currently, suse 10.1 alpha 3, 2.6.14.22 kernel, new bios, makes USB usable,
NIC still, does not bond, without reboot, and power cycle,...
sound is not working,... ad1986a, tried a compile,...

sad to hear,....kernel 2.6.15-rc5 and new nvidia driver will not fix this combo,.......
anybody else, can recommend an micro-atx motherboard with amd 939,
and non nforce, with 4 sata and GBE ? ......
.... would'nt mind, have you guys come over for a litle,
christmas fire , to burn this one,.... so I could start the new year at least without nforce issues,....

stay in touch, cheers, Robert Schultz

--------------------------- (NVIDIA)
I have to say, I'm with this guy - I'm going to his New Years party with some more fuel for the fire. This is crap! All of us Linux people get some half-baked crap code - but Wincrap was up and running right out of the box. They have the nerve to release this stuff months after the boards are shipping, churning out one fix after the other, all bad. Reading through the miles of posts here, does anybody have this junk actually working? It's really disgusting!

I'm really about finished with this - two solid weeks of screwing around, and I can't even get an Internet connection! I am so tired of reading all the crap, and having sixteen windows open on the screen, jumping from one to the next to get some crappy driver installed! The contradictory information and 'this will be supported in the next release..' is really amazing.

On behalf of all the poor suckers hanging around here every day hoping for a break, it looks like nVidia is on the way out. Too bad we had to spend American dollars on this stuff.
patmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 11:30 PM   #114
KenWoodland

rsrtfm:

I do not have yast on my system.

I used alsaconf for the initial setup. I also have a startup script called alsasound (comes with the Knoppmyth dist), that loads all the sound modules and sets up the mixer using alsacntl and /etc/asound.state.

Use alsamixer and make sure Front Volume is turned to 90% and PCM is whatever level you want your sound at. I also enabled, (unmuted) IEC958 to get SPDIF output. (Optical light comes on, but have not had a chance to hook it up to my home theater receiver yet).

You might also want to check /etc/modules.conf and files in the /etc/modprobe.d directory, to make sure it is setup for the snd-hda-intel module.

It is nice to have acpi, have you tried that module yet?

I have not noticed any dropouts on my ethernet, but my testing has not been extensive. I always have to power cycle if I booted into windows 2K and then back to linux. I run a gigabit ethernet network, the forcedeth driver registers at the full gigabit speed.

My only problem right now is that HDTV is a bit too slow with the processor I got and Xv / XvMC do not seem to work mythtv/xine/mplayer on this "supported" chipset. I have got no word from Nvidia if it is even suppose too with the 8174 driver. I know it has the hardware in there, windows uses it and nvidia hypes it for the chipset.

Could some one PLEASE just answer me on this!!!!!

Anyway, I got 18" from that Nor'easter on Friday, so I have had a lot of time to play with this also.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.
Old 12-13-05, 05:21 AM   #115
nickbibassis

I've tried Ubuntu and KnoppMyth. Ubuntu stops showing the gui just before allowing me to log in. KnoppMyth live freezes. What steps can I try to get Ubuntu to load the gui? Keep in mind I'm new to linux. I want to use my system primarily as a PVR. I saw the SUSE tip. Is SUSE a good option for PVR use? Thanks.

System:
Asus A8N-VM CSM
Athlon 64 3000+
1gb ram
Pioneer combo drive
Seagate 120gb hard drive
about to add: Hauppauge WinTv-PVR 500 MCE
nickbibassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 12:37 PM   #116
jeffmc

An adder of my experience in response to rsrtfm's "anybody have the gigabyte up and running on linux ??" question...

I have:

Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard
AMD64 3500+ processor
Corsair value series 1 gig DDR memory
Nv GeForce 6600 LE - PCI Express version
Maxtor 7L300S0 SATA drive

Did virgin install of SuSE 10.0 - i386 version. Disk was recognized and fully accessible via libata and sata_nv module. Network was recognized and configurable via forcedeth module. Sound system not recognized in any way, shape, or form. Video was configured simply as a frame buffer device; not recognized as capable of using the builtin "nv" driver.

Via Yast2's online update, I downloaded and installed the NVidia graphics driver version "x86-1.0-7676" and installed without incident. Rather than using sax, I manually configured my xorg.conf file to use the "nvidia" driver since I wanted to use the TwinView display spanning ability that sax configuration doesn't do anyway. My dual-head setup is up and stable using this driver.

I then downloaded version "x86-1.0-0310" of the NFORCE drivers directly from NVidia and executed the pkg "run" file. It configured and compiled "nvnet" and "nvsound" modules with no errors reported. Per the /usr/share/doc/nforce/ReleaseNotes.html file that the pkg run file left on my system, I used Yast2's network card setup to change the driver for my NIC from "forcedeth" to "nvnet". Reconfiguration worked as advertised, NIC works after power cycles, warm/cold reboots, and "ifdown/ifup" cycles.

Now for the #*($&#! audio device. I followed the steps in the ReleaseNotes.html file; namely commeniting out any i810 lines in my modprobe.conf file (they were already commented out) and adding:

alias sound-slot-0 nvsound
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off

No audio, no way. Doesn't work, doesn't try to work, alsaconf doesn't see it, Yast doesn't see it, etc. It's there in an lspci output, but I cannot get it to work. My suspicion is that since SuSE switched to "dbus" for configuring /dev... and, since the device id's are not recognized by the kernel, etc.... Dbus is not configuring the necessary /dev entries to support the friekin' audio device. Further evidence of this is that the module NEVER loads automatically on boot which to my feable mind suggests that dbus is completely ignoring the existence of the beastie altogether.

So, bottom line, I have had basically good results with *all* capabilities of the chipset in my configuration except for the audio. Anybody know how to "force" dbus to deal with and configure something that is not already in it's list of "known devices"???
jeffmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-05, 12:43 PM   #117
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The NFORCE nvsound driver is an OSS driver, not an ALSA driver. Thus, it is fully expected that alsaconf wouldn't see it.

If you run 'modprobe nvsound' manually, what happens? If it fails to work, please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 12:56 PM   #118
jeffmc

Pardon the incomplete list of things I tried. Since Yast2 configures OSS, I was merely stating that I had tried the OSS world and the alsa world with no luck either way.

modprobe nvsound does exactly what it should do. It first loads "soundcore" due to it's dependency and then loads "nvsound" with a nice return code of "0" indicating success. The output of "dmesg" then includes the obligatory lines:

nvsound: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
Nvsound: Nvidia Audio Init Module, 15:30:32 Dec 10 2005 version 1.0-7

Now the problem is, I have no /dev entries to go along with this "success". the dbus daemon setup is not noticing the arrival of this new sound device via the module load. Listing in /dev via the following:

m1:~ # ls -l /dev/mix*
/bin/ls: /dev/mix*: No such file or directory
m1:~ # ls -l /dev/dsp*
/bin/ls: /dev/dsp*: No such file or directory

Now, my guess is that if I figure out the proper major/minor combinations and create the necessary devices *manually* along with the manual load of the nvsound module, I *might* get some noise out of my speakers once again. Any pointers to what major number the nvsound module is expecting /dev entries to have? The ReleaseNotes did not include any "alias char-major-*" modprobe.conf entries....
Old 12-13-05, 01:59 PM   #119
KenWoodland

netllama,

Could you please answer as to if there is support for XvMC for the (6150/430) on the ASUS A8N-VM CSM?

I would gladly submit a bug report and provide more info than I have in previous posts. I just need to know, so I can make a decision to shelve this motherboard for now and go back to trying to get my old system working for a PVR setup.

System:
Asus A8N-VM CSM
Athlon 64 3200+
1gb ram
Maxtor 300gb IDE hard drive
HD5000 Digital Video Capture Card
Old 12-13-05, 02:23 PM   #120
jeffmc

Argh, in my post two messages back, I refer numerous times to "dbus" for /dev. Brain fart on my part, I should have said "udev".

And, I *knew* I should have specified static /dev when it asked me that question during the install....