Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-05, 12:44 PM   #49
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

I don't think there is a clear preference between forcedeth and nvnet right now. A new version of the nForce driver package should be released soon which has alot of significant bug fixes. If you're having similar problems with nforce-1.0-0306, then I'd recommend trying the latest forcedeth, as it doesn't have this problem as far as I can tell in my testing.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 07:28 AM   #50
boppen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Hi!

I have just installed gentoo 2005.1 on my new A8N-vM CSM, and video and net works just great!
But I'm having problems with the sound - I saw a post here at the forum that told sound should be working - so maybe I could get some hint ...
I'm running kernel 2.6.15-rc1 and I'm using the ALSA-drivers that's in the kernel.
At boot I get
Code:
ALSA device list:
  #0: HDA NVidia at 0xfebd8000 irq 5
and that feels promising! But when I try to play an mp3 with mpg123 for example I only sometimes get very hight tones, and sometimes I can hear the song.
But mostly there's nothing

Any suggestions how I can get it working?

/Boppen
boppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 11:49 AM   #51
syntho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppen
I have just installed gentoo 2005.1 on my new A8N-vM CSM, and video and net works just great!
Thanks for the datapoint - are you using the nv driver with 2.6.15rc1?
syntho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 02:39 PM   #52
DaniNel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

I bought the Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 with nforce 410 and GPU Geforce 6100 onboard. Use Slamd64 10.2.
Recompile to kernel 2.6.14.2 for better SATA support and SATA works very well I think.
Sound wokrs well with Linux nForce Driver - AMD64/EM64T Version: 1.0-0306, but my LAN card freeze when nvnet module is loaded. Everything seems to be OK but LAN is unusable. Maybe it's from the driver, because it's for older nforce chipsets.
Video doesn't work too
DaniNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 05:40 AM   #53
seanyseansean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.h.
Oh boy, I'm getting a little confused here. Is there anyone out there who had the chance to install and test this driver? *Please* tell us about it...
I did, on my Asus A7N-VM CSM motherboard. It's on my mythtv frontend box using the DVI out. Looks fine, though I do get corruption on screen when it is blitting images - I don't know yet whether this is a problem with xvmc.

A bigger problem is the fact the motherboard hangs after a reboot, meaning I have to reset the bios each time. Obviously ASUS won't acknowledge the issue.
seanyseansean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 01:58 PM   #54
gerick
Registered User
 
gerick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 40
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

I see that several people have gotten Gentoo to work with the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. Are there any specific kernal configurations running menuconfig that I need to turn on for the hardware on this board?
gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 05:36 PM   #55
gerick
Registered User
 
gerick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 40
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppen
Hi!

I have just installed gentoo 2005.1 on my new A8N-vM CSM, and video and net works just great!
But I'm having problems with the sound - I saw a post here at the forum that told sound should be working - so maybe I could get some hint ...
I'm running kernel 2.6.15-rc1 and I'm using the ALSA-drivers that's in the kernel.
At boot I get
Code:
ALSA device list:
  #0: HDA NVidia at 0xfebd8000 irq 5
and that feels promising! But when I try to play an mp3 with mpg123 for example I only sometimes get very hight tones, and sometimes I can hear the song.
But mostly there's nothing

Any suggestions how I can get it working?

/Boppen
Not having my board in hand yet, I don't know if this helps or not....

Although there are no Linux drivers on Asus's website for the A8N-VM CSM, I do see that there are Linux drivers for the P5GL-MX motherboard, that has the same sound chipset (ADI SoundMAX AD1986A).

Looks like the zip file has ALSA 1.0.10rc1 which includes "Fix the PCM mixer switch for AD1986A."
gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 12:25 AM   #56
gollo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppen
Hi!

I have just installed gentoo 2005.1 on my new A8N-vM CSM, and video and net works just great!
But I'm having problems with the sound - I saw a post here at the forum that told sound should be working - so maybe I could get some hint ...
I'm running kernel 2.6.15-rc1 and I'm using the ALSA-drivers that's in the kernel.
At boot I get
Code:
ALSA device list:
  #0: HDA NVidia at 0xfebd8000 irq 5
and that feels promising! But when I try to play an mp3 with mpg123 for example I only sometimes get very hight tones, and sometimes I can hear the song.
But mostly there's nothing

Any suggestions how I can get it working?

/Boppen
Is there anything special that you did? When I use the binary package (the beta one) my screen will just goes black and I end up having to hard reset the machine. Every other graphic driver (nv, fsdev, etc) just gives me half a monitor that does not work.
gollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-05, 09:27 PM   #57
connermo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

I've tried the 8186 beta driver on my Biostar TForce 6100. It works! BUT, only when I set the framebuffer to 16M. :S
connermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 02:47 AM   #58
vedragan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

I have ans Asus A8N-VM CSM. So far running Linux on it was disipointing.
The best I got is a SUSE 10.0 instalation. A took the latest kernel from apt repository 2.6.14.2. But no luck with the network. After a while is gone.
Alsa my discrete SB Audigy 2 ZS shutters very short after I start to use it. The grafics a ruin either. But I have not yet tried the 16M "solution"...

Next: I took the latest forcedeth.c 0.47 recompile it inside the 2.6.14.2 kernel but no luck. After a while the net is gone. In the logs I see something about the TX interrupt....

And again. I downloaded the 2.6.15-rc2 kernel. Compile it and yes the network was working. > 100GB download test succesfull. Then I played an mp3. After about 1 minute the Audigy starts to shutter and ... network gone... The Kewrnel configuration was the one for stock SUSE 10.0 with the folowing modfications: CPU=AMD64
, Preemption: the agrresive one for desktop, 1000 sampling.

My impression is that not the SB or the Network is the problem but something weird with the interrupts and the chipset. The USB also stops working very offen, sometime not even recognized...

Does somebody else experience the same problems on NForce 4x0 ? Any solutions... Another idea (the last what I have) is to cut back the aggresivness of preemption in the kernel but I am not sure that this will bring something positive...

Would be nice is NVidia could help as a bit with the problem of the Graphics, network, audio and at least at my with USB to. Actually the only thing what my computer does right is compiling the kernel but the thanks are going here to AMD and not NVidia.
vedragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 03:00 AM   #59
compless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by connermo
I've tried the 8186 beta driver on my Biostar TForce 6100. It works! BUT, only when I set the framebuffer to 16M. :S
wohoo!.. it works!.. And its a whole lot better than vesa
compless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 03:17 AM   #60
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted
 
debian_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 61
Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedragan
And again. I downloaded the 2.6.15-rc2 kernel. Compile it and yes the network was working. > 100GB download test succesfull. Then I played an mp3. After about 1 minute the Audigy starts to shutter and ... network gone... The Kewrnel configuration was the one for stock SUSE 10.0 with the folowing modfications: CPU=AMD64
, Preemption: the agrresive one for desktop, 1000 sampling.

My impression is that not the SB or the Network is the problem but something weird with the interrupts and the chipset. The USB also stops working very offen, sometime not even recognized...

Does somebody else experience the same problems on NForce 4x0 ? Any solutions... Another idea (the last what I have) is to cut back the aggresivness of preemption in the kernel but I am not sure that this will bring something positive...

Would be nice is NVidia could help as a bit with the problem of the Graphics, network, audio and at least at my with USB to. Actually the only thing what my computer does right is compiling the kernel but the thanks are going here to AMD and not NVidia.
Probably this won't be a solution, but it's worth a try.
In my experience (and some of my friends' too), local apic on uniprocessors support often causes some kernel modules to go bananas. It garbages up interrupts in some unspeakable way (but it is VERY dependent on the machine, probably depending on a BIOS issue), and the most common thing I've seen is netcard-soundcard working discontinuously.

So, (I repeat: probably this isn't a solution, but you can try as well), maybe you can recompile your own test kernel without lapic support, or boot the system with the "noapic", or "nolapic" (or even both) parameter.

However, kernel support is getting better with each release, so that might be the reason that causes first release candidate of 2.6.15 to work better.

Sorry if this doesn't help,

best

d_p
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
302.17 for Linux x86/x86_64 released AaronP NVIDIA Linux 0 06-16-12 05:12 PM
295.59 (long-lived branch release) for Linux x86/x86_64 released AaronP NVIDIA Linux 0 06-13-12 03:38 PM
295.59 (long-lived branch release) for Linux x86/x86_64 released artem NVIDIA Linux 0 06-11-12 12:25 PM
Gainward Unleashes the Sexy GeForce GTX 670 Phantom Graphics Card, Also launches the News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 10:28 AM
Nforce audio & linux nichos NVIDIA Linux 1 10-05-02 05:16 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.