Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-05, 08:36 PM   #73
gerick

Default Re: Asus A8N-VM CSM sound is not nforce based

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrtfm
could not find any support there,

ad1986a is not listed as a supported device,....
am I missing something ?
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...Analog_Devices

or is there a workaround ?

thanks, Robert Schultz
Motherboard is STILL on backorder, so I haven't tried this yet, but ...

alsa-1.0.9b:
Changelog between 1.0.8 and 1.0.9 releases
+ HDA Codec driver
- Summary: Add AD1986A support
Added the patch for Analog Device AD1986A codec.
+ HDA generic driver
- Summary: Add AD1986A support
Added the patch for Analog Device AD1986A codec.
+ AC97 Codec
- Summary: Add AD1986 support
Added the support of AD1986. Using the same patch as AD1985.

alsa-1.0.10rc1:
Changelog between 1.0.9b and 1.0.10rc1 releases
+ HDA Codec driver
- Summary: Fix the PCM mixer switch for AD1986A
Fix the PCM mixer switch for AD1986a (it was a typo).
gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 10:27 PM   #74
rsrtfm
Suse user

Default Re: Linux on NForce 430 + GeForce 6150

like to hear from anybody who's got problems,
but more so, who has what working,.....

my system:
open suse 10.1 alpha 3 2.6.14.2 kernel i386 (not x64)
- eathernet, nic working
- tried 7676 and x8 driver, runs in vesa mode only
- switch user, lockup
- no sound, running soundblaster pci 128
- hitachi sata II 250GB (NCQ)

problems:
suse 10.0 live dont run, 9.3 wont boot, looseing cdrom mount point,
suse 64bit does not run stable, disk corruption asume nforce sata ncq bug,...

have not tried the 310 nforce driver since, it probably don't do didly for sound, and my nic is working, nothing mentioned about the ad1986a , what you could get from asus, pd5l or something motherboard,....
2.4.6.13 is on the way, 2.4.6.14 in 2 weeks,.... so far no site of x8 drivers, ....
windoz runs fine, exept cool'n quiet,...
- powersave, is crashing,.....
cheers, Robert Schultz
Old 11-28-05, 10:58 PM   #75
Aphorism

Swapped out my damn MSI RS480M2 motherboard for my Foxconn thinking that I would get GL support.

Hey guess what, my new Foxconn 6150K8MA board still doesn't have accelleration due to the damn 6150 onboard. Oh yeah NO SOUND.

Luckily, the onboard nic works!

Running Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger amd64. (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

PS: Gee -- even that crappy ATI motherboard now has GL support AND sound! Grr... C'mon Nvidia -- OPEN SOURCE IT. It would help out EVERYONE -- OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.
Aphorism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 11:42 PM   #76
avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Can you please generate & attach an nforce-bug-report.log for review after you've run 'modprobe nvsound' just so that I can verify you're hitting the same issue as I have?
Done - as I'm not familiar with the bugtracking tool of NVIDIA (we do I actually find this tool ) you'll find the requested bug-report attached.

Thanks,

Jo
Attached Files
File Type: log nforce-bug-report.log (74.9 KB, 367 views)
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 09:21 AM   #77
smokalot

My ASUS A8N-VM CSM sort of works using gentoo 2005.1 with 2.6.14-gentoo and vanilla 2.6.15-rc2 sources. Let me sum up all the devices one by one:

network: works fine using forcedeth driver

sata: works ok using sata_nv, quite high CPU load, but thatdoesn't cause problems

video: works great using the leaked nvidia driver (8168). Performance is great, I do get some weird horizontal stripes on screen sometimes, in some resolutions, but not really a problem. stability is ok under stress, I do however get lockups when I change resolution. Could also be an xorg problem, I'm using Xorg 7.0rc1.

sound: 2.6.14 doesn't recognize the card, 2.6.15-rc2 does! It loads the snd-hda-intel driver. Haven't had the chance to test (was using PCI soundcard), but will do soon.

I do have to boot with noapic, because otherwise something goes wrong with the IRQs or something, almost all devices share the same IRQ, and if several are active at the same time (usb+network+sata) things go wrong, throwing out usb sometimes, and just dies entirely eventually. When I boot with noapic loading ehci-hcd causes an oops, and I get a "IRQ 3 disabled".

I don't really see what's going on, I can play Call of Duty using wine for hours, and everything's fine, but when I return to KDE it locks up within a few minutes because I touched the usb mouse. Switching from X to VT goes fine sometimes, but sometimes locks up entirely.
smokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 01:43 PM   #78
lifeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokalot
My ASUS A8N-VM CSM sort of works using gentoo 2005.1 with 2.6.14-gentoo and vanilla 2.6.15-rc2 sources.

I do have to boot with noapic, because otherwise something goes wrong with the IRQs or something, almost all devices share the same IRQ, and if several are active at the same time (usb+network+sata) things go wrong, throwing out usb sometimes, and just dies entirely eventually. When I boot with noapic loading ehci-hcd causes an oops, and I get a "IRQ 3 disabled".
I've got similar problems with USB on the A8N-VM CSM, but I've no idea if it's a buggy Asus BIOS or something nForce-related. I've compiled gentoo-sources 2.6.14-r3 with ACPI, APIC and local APIC support. The only way I've gotten my USB devices (mouse, USB stick) to work so far was by giving the following kernel parameters: noapic nolapic irqpoll. What prompted to add the irqpoll option was this error message during bootup:

Code:
irq 3: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
(and a call trace right after)

Amusingly enough, after I added it, the error message remained, but USB started working. Boggles the mind .

I've read that using irqpoll decreases system performance significantly, so it has to be a temporary workaround, no more.

If APIC wasn't disabled, the following message was repeated once for each USB device that was attached during boot, with the number incrementing:

Code:
usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-6: device not accepting address 6, error -110
Smokalot: you, me and every other Linux-using A8N-VM CSM owner should probably file a bug report with Asus about this, as well as the numerous ACPI errors one gets while booting, like this one:

Code:
    ACPI-0311: *** Error: ns_search_and_enter: Bad character in ACPI Name: 43045350
    ACPI-0292: *** Error: Looking up [0x43045350] (NON-ASCII)
 in namespace, AE_BAD_CHARACTER
    ACPI-0115: *** Error: acpi_load_tables: Could not load namespace: AE_BAD_CHARACTER
    ACPI-0123: *** Error: acpi_load_tables: Could not load tables: AE_BAD_CHARACTER
ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables
A new BIOS revision can't come out soon enough
lifeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 01:51 PM   #79
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you need to use any of these kernel options in order for hardware to get properly detected, then the problem is either in your kernel or the BIOS:
noapic nolapic irqpoll acpi=off

ACPI table errors are more likely a BIOS issue (especially bad charset issues).

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-05, 09:26 AM   #80
morgoth

For those using ASUS A8N-VM CSM, see my msg in this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60596

BIOS upgrade fixes much problems...

Old 12-02-05, 11:14 AM   #81
ewv.at.fnal.gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicwasser
Does anyone have any experience or advice with regard to running Linux on new NForce 430 / GeForce 6150 based motherboards?

How well is the support for SATA Harddisk? Is the SATA AHCI compatible? Can I boot from a SATA harddisk? How well is the support for audio? What about graphics and gigabit Ethernet?

Do I need the Nforce binary driver or is the in kernel support OK for the various devices? Is the NVIDIA graphics driver ready for GeForce 6150?

I am thinking about buying an Asus A8N-VM CSM Socket 939 Micro-ATX motherboard and run Ubuntu 5.10 (kernel 2.6.12) on it. Is it possible or a futile exercise? Should I buy the Asus A8V-MX with VIA K8M800 chipset instead?

Regards, TW

This may or may not help you. After 1.5 days of fiddling, I've gotten this system working very well using Mandriva 2006 (2.6.12 based kernel)

Sound: Mandriva recognized which driver to use, but the driver failed to insmod, I think. I could have gotten the latest patches and rebuilt the model, I suppose, but I had an SB-Live sitting around, so I used that instead

Network: The latest forcedeth is claimed to work and I could have done that like above, but I downloaded the 0310 NVidia drivers and let it compile and install nvnet. Works fine, at least at 100 Mb.

Video: Setting the BIOS's window to 16 MB and using the leaked 8168 driver, it's working great.

USB: Lots of problems here until I was able to update the BIOS (after two upgrade installs of Windows XP) with the latest from ASUS. After that the USB 2.0 devices started working fine, including my memory card readers. I am still using noapic and nolapic on the kernel, but ACPI is on. I haven't tested allowing APIC.

Last night I put the sides on the case and put it in it's permanent location. When Mandriva 2006.1 or 2007 comes out, I will try ripping out the SB Live, but for now I'm done messing around with it.
ewv.at.fnal.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 10:04 PM   #82
rsrtfm
Suse user

Default bios update, x86 driver ?..

here is ny update:

- updated the bios,... in xp, came back checksum error,..set default,...ok
- bios pnp off,....
- suse 10.1 alpha 3 with 2.6.14.22 new kernel,....
- USB works now,
- tried, 0310 nforce driver,... no go,...installed, alsa, 09b, 1.10,...
alsaconf,.. mcp51 intel ??? no sound,... back to square one,...
- network, is not recognized, most of the time,... reboot, power off,...restart,....
cross, fingers, knock on wood, pray, to the goods of nforce, to have some realtek,...
- tried, x86 driver, ...installed,...said it did,...
... look at xorg.conf ,...said,.. nv ?,.... lsmod,.....nvidia,... no 3D bzflag,... test....
- KDE, locks up, at logoff, or switch user,... black screen, with underscore,...argh,....
it's been week 3 ,... and my sanity is shrinking rapidly,
in this forums guide to the galaxy of nvidia,...

if I could get the damn sound to work,... I'll take a nic card,....
oh,... did switch to GDM from KDE,....yast, sys.conf editor,... has errors,... at least it does not lockup on logout,....
any place I can send a buck, or a bug, to the apropriate place, any place ?
cheers, Robert Schultz ,.... rsrtfm,....robs sh&t read the F*ck ing manual,....
just tired of it,... don't want to read s*&t, buggy manuals,...
... ---------------------------------------------- (nvidia)
Old 12-04-05, 03:32 AM   #83
avant

@netllama where can I track your bug 200265 ?

Thanks,

Jo
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 10:35 AM   #84
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You can email linux-bugs@nvidia.com requesting a status update. However, at this time, there are no updates for that bug.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote