Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-05, 02:42 AM   #1
bskit88

Default Geforce5950 "S" video connection question

I have searched and can't find my answer.

I have a BFG Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256mb video card. I have it connected to my Samsung LCD monitor using the DVI-I connection. I have no problems with this, works fine.
Now, I would like to watch some hockey games that are being webcast on my TV instead of the smaller LCD monitor.

Can I just take an S video cable plug it into the video card and connect this to my HDTV? And be able to see these games? Must I unplug the DVI-I cable? Are there any setttings on the TV or video card properties that need to be changed?

Thank you!
bskit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 02:48 PM   #2
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Geforce5950 "S" video connection question

SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 03:32 PM   #3
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

I don't know about the FX series, but on my 6800 I can have 2 monitors or 1 monitor and 1 TV connection at any given time. You'll need to set up dualview in the Forceware drivers, but apart from that it should be very easy to do. I've not had real problems with a dual monitor or monitor + tv situation in quite a while. Basically, if I were you I'd just give it a go, and get back to us if you have any trouble!
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 05:41 PM   #4
bskit88

Thank you.

I'm really not concerned about running both at the same time, but I did look in the properties and saw the settings to change for dual monitor. So I will try it and if I have problems I will read some more.

Biscuit
bskit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 11:47 AM   #5
Kojiro

I used dual view before. I had a standard TV with only composite video ( the standard RED, Yellow, and White conectors.) I used an inexpensive s-video to composit converter then used Dual View set on "Clone" (don't use extended desktop.) This outputs the same image of the monitor, on the TV.
however you may have to set the TV as primary output. This may cure some issues with certain apps. So if you run into any problems try setting your TV as the primary output.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote