Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-05, 04:51 AM   #1
Melhisedek

Default How demanding on Graphics Card is WoW?

I have A64 3200+ @ 2.5 GHz
6800GT @ Ultra
1Gig Ram

Thing is my game can get incredibly choppy like 20+ FPS in some places (Not Ironforge I can understand that one) but like in Brill!!! At most like 10 guys running around and FPS drops to 20+
As soon as I turn my head in other direction they jump to 60+

I game at 1280x1024 4xAA+8AF and with Quality setting (all max in game Video Options)

So I wonder what drivers and what settings are people here using with 6800 line of cards...

Also is there a review where they use WoW when testing cards? So if this GT isn't cutting it I know what will be my next card :P

Thank you for your time!
Melhisedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 04:57 AM   #2
Ninja Prime

Default Re: How demanding on Graphics Card is WoW?

I have a similar setup and I don't see that choppyness at all, the only time I get a little chop is coming in to Grom'Gol on the zepplin. I'm using old drivers, 67 if I remember right, only major differences are I have 2gigs of RAM and I have a 3500+.

I used to run 1280x1024 with 4xaa and 8xaf but AA seems to be borked this patch, so no AA at the moment. I didn't see much of a noticeable difference when AA was on compared to off.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 05:10 AM   #3
Melhisedek

I somehow suspect that I might have driver related problem... I'm using latest betas 81.84

Or perhaps UI mods can affect performance this badly... But only in some spots... One other is when I go by that big Undead fellow near Brill (the one that tries to pick up flowers)
Old 10-12-05, 07:11 AM   #4
K007

vsync?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 07:26 AM   #5
Tr1cK
not coming back

My system before 1.8 and with my 3500 @ 2.4 would get real choppy and down in the 20s in places. Getting off the Orgrimmar - Grom'gol zeppelin and standing on the tower it would hit in the low 20s looking around. That was with a 77 driver too. Now with the 3800 @ 2.4, 1.8 patch (I dunno if it changed anything), and the 81.84 drivers I get down in the mid 30s there in the same spot.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 08:17 AM   #6
Melhisedek

Sadly I can't get ingame right now so I can't try anything yet
Old 10-12-05, 02:46 PM   #7
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Getting off the Orgrimmar - Grom'gol zeppelin and standing on the tower it would hit in the low 20s looking around.
Yeah, everybody I know gets chop there, its because you can see the whole village and the forest and a bunch of raptors all on screen at once from the tower, very poly and texture heavy there.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 02:55 PM   #8
WarGhSt

Might not be your problem but there are addons that will decrease your performance.

I know Auctioneer was *could be still* broken a week or so ago and it was causing people to lose up to 15-20 fps.
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-05, 03:01 PM   #9
Tr1cK
not coming back

I run dualview so I can do things on my 2nd monitor while playing WoW. I have noticed that Firefox being open (doesnt have to have focus) can slow WoW down. I think its pages that are flash heavy to be the culprit. Ive loaded the same page in IE while playing WoW and had practically no slowdown. (This all was before my x2.)
Old 10-12-05, 03:05 PM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime
Yeah, everybody I know gets chop there, its because you can see the whole village and the forest and a bunch of raptors all on screen at once from the tower, very poly and texture heavy there.
I think it must be very CPU heavy there. I get better performance now with the x2 and 81.84s.

I noticed issues with WoW on the release notes, anybody had problems yet? Im running Molten Core tonight and havent had a chance to thoroughly test the new drivers.
Old 10-13-05, 03:56 AM   #11
Melhisedek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I run dualview so I can do things on my 2nd monitor while playing WoW. I have noticed that Firefox being open (doesnt have to have focus) can slow WoW down. I think its pages that are flash heavy to be the culprit. Ive loaded the same page in IE while playing WoW and had practically no slowdown. (This all was before my x2.)
Damn... I almost always have FF open in background (no dual monitor setup here) for thottbot and such...
I need to try this right away!
Old 10-13-05, 07:11 AM   #12
K007

FF cauld be a problem, i notice sometimes it gives me a headache on somesites where i switch to IE, but i doudt it will be the answer to ure problem, and i usually have it running alot along with winamp/azureus and i sit at a 50-99 at 1280x960@85hz 4xaa / 8xaf

I am thinking its either vsync or some other application.

Dont c the point in getting a GT or a GTX for just WoW...runs fine imo on a 6800GT+.

And i have spend alot of time in AV / AB grinding towards rank 14.

I cant tell much now since my account is closed, but only time i had fps issues was in AV when the full 40vs40 standing right infront fighitng it out...or near those GY Zergs (Pre 1.8)
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote