Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-05, 03:14 PM   #1
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Default Tone mapping?

I was just curious as to what this does. Its an option right under HDR in the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory video options. Whenever it is enabled, the game is extremely(like pitch black)dark, and character models have a shimmering effect. I'm sure this has been brought up before, however I was just curious about it since I just upgraded my system and was putting it through the paces.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 03:42 PM   #2
OWA

Default Re: Tone mapping?

What the heck? I was just playing around with this game recently and it was fine. Now I'm getting the same thing you are. The only thing I can think of is that it must have been fine when I was using 81.82s and that 81.84s must have messed things up. Are you using 81.84 also? Actually, I was trying to help a guy with a splinter cell issue and I might have mentioned what driver I using in that thread. I'll see if I can find it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 03:45 PM   #3
OWA

Actually, I was using the 81.84s! See thread below. He had the same issue, I didn't but now I do. I'm not sure what is going on. I wonder if it happened after installing the 1.04 patch. It (the game patched to 1.04) was fine initially but maybe something changed after rebooting.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57753
Old 10-10-05, 04:00 PM   #4
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Currently I'm using the 77.77s so when I get home tonight after work(6 more agonizing hours, bleh) I'll be sure to update to the 81.84s or whatever's most current. SC: CT is updated to 1.04 but the problem was occuring before I applied the patch(kinda why I patched the game in the first place). I think I started out with 1.01 as the initial install version, although it was a Direct2Drive download. Funny thing is I applied the patch, fired up the game and experienced the same problem so I exited and upon exiting it asked if I could restart the computer to finish the patch installation. Kinda weird, but still experienced the problem after restart. If updating the drivers doesn't do anything, I don't think it will matter since I'm pretty sure tone mapping doesnt make too much of a difference in image quality. Looks mighty fine the way it is anyway
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 04:45 PM   #5
rhoward2

Yep, I'm having this issue as well. I had started a thread last week about it but haven't found any sort of resolution to the problem. It's annoying to have a kick-butt system and to not be able to have all of the graphical details cranked up to the maximum when playing.

On my system, I've tried driver versions 77.77, 78.01, 78.05 and 81.84 and have experienced this issue with all of them.
rhoward2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 05:37 PM   #6
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoward2
Yep, I'm having this issue as well. I had started a thread last week about it but haven't found any sort of resolution to the problem. It's annoying to have a kick-butt system and to not be able to have all of the graphical details cranked up to the maximum when playing.

On my system, I've tried driver versions 77.77, 78.01, 78.05 and 81.84 and have experienced this issue with all of them.
Well, at least you should feel better now that I have it too. I'm getting ready to remove it and then reinstall it to see if it's okay without the patches.
Old 10-10-05, 06:09 PM   #7
OWA

Okay, I got it to work again. My guess is that something got screwed up in the configuration files the other day when I was trying to create the issue rhoward2 was seeing. Since HDR will sometimes get messed up if you force AA on, I removed the protection in the nvapps file so I could turn on AA. So, I ran the game with SM 3.0, HDR, etc. with AA being forced in the nvidia control panel.

Today, when it was screwed up, I changed the SCCT profile back to the way it's supposed to be. That didn't help. So, I choose SM 1.1, started the first level and it looked good. I then set the AA to 4x (in game), went to the first level again, looked good. Then I changed AA back to none, changed the SM option to 3.0 but turned off all the options under the SM 3.0 menu. Started the first level and it looked good. So, back to the SM 3.0 menu again, turned all of the options back on, went back to the first level and voila, it looked good. Just to make sure, I exited the game, started it again, went to the first level and it was still looking good. I then rebooted, tried it again and it was still good.

I listed everything I did since I'm not sure what step actually fixed it.
Old 10-10-05, 07:14 PM   #8
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Tone mapping is supposed to adjust the colors range under HDR for LCD screens with DVI input or something like that.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-05, 07:53 PM   #9
jolle

I think it takes the HDR color space (which is ALOT bigger then 32bit color) and sortof dithers it down to fit inside 32bit color space.. since that is what it will be displaying.. so the framebuffer has the image in FP16 format, but before it is sent to the monitor, it has Tone Mapping applied..
I guess it can be compared to dithering down 24bit sound to 16bit when putting it on a audio CD..