Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-02, 05:30 PM   #1
jeeptak

Default Audio in Redhat 8.0

I have successfully got my Ethernet, Video to work, but for some reason it will not install my audio. I have a Athlon 1800 XP, GeForce 2, nvidia ethernet and sound. Any help as to why it will not work would be appreciated.
Thanks
jeeptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-02, 09:29 PM   #2
volt

Could you be more specific ? What sound card / audio chip do you have?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-03, 01:49 AM   #3
Chalnoth

Well, he did say nVidia audio and ethernet.

I assume you have an nForce, jeeptak?

One of the most common problems is that the module auto-loading is not working. One workaround that people have found is to change all of the sound-slot-1 references in /etc/modules.conf to sound-slot-0.

If you can't seem to get the module to autoload, you can try loading it manually with the command: "modprobe nvaudio"

You can insert this command into the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it execute each startup.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-03, 02:53 AM   #4
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Well, he did say nVidia audio and ethernet.
Oh yes, too much champagne ?

I'm not sure but do nforce / nforce 2 drivers differer very much?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 01-01-03, 02:16 PM   #5
jeeptak

Ok. I got sound working by modifying my /etc/modules.conf with the i810_audio and then did a /sbin/depmod -a and then /sbin/modprobe i810_audio. But when I reboot it doesn;t work. What do I need to modify so that it loads the modules at boot?

jeeptak
jeeptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-03, 11:31 PM   #6
volt

You need to add a line to your /etc/modules.conf which will load the module on startup. I'm not sure though, look at the other entries there. You can try those though:

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
alias sound-slot-0-0 i810_audio
alias char-major-14 i810_audio

Last edited by volt; 01-02-03 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 08:35 PM   #7
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Oh yes, too much champagne ?

I'm not sure but do nforce / nforce 2 drivers differer very much?
They don't differ at all. The only difference is that the nForce2 device ID's are different, which means that drivers before 0248 will not work without tweaking.
Old 01-02-03, 08:35 PM   #8
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
You need to add a line to your /etc/modules.conf which will load the module on startup. I'm not sure though, look at the other entries there. You can try those though:

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
alias sound-slot-0-0 i810_audio
alias char-major-14 i810_audio
I think you need to use "nvaudio" to use nVidia's drivers (as opposed to i810_audio).