Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-05, 10:45 PM   #13
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: What do you expect from a FPS?

1 - above all else, is a well designed 3d engine. i CANNOT stand games that look nice but are not efficient. why does a game need to look good AND run badly? doom 3 wasnt my style of game but it was a hell of an efficient graphics fest.

2 - DAMN COOP. i cant begin to describe to all of you how tired i am of deathmatch, deathmatch, deathmatch, deathmatch. i want to play a single player campaign with other people and kick the AI's a*s.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 11:21 PM   #14
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

This is tough to fully encompass.

I agree with the original poster, mostly.

Something that I haven't seen much of and would really like: Devastatingly beautifull enemy models with unbeatable animation, so much of a focus, in fact, as to look photorealistic....almost. I mean perfectly smooth, properly rounded models that give all those shaders a serious workout with hair at least as good as Nalu's and skin at least as good as Dawn's.

I want blood that drips down the chest after a blow to the shoulder, glistening properly in the light, eventually falling from the body in droplets which splatter on the ground.

Insanely realistic gibs as a shotgun or other weapon turns a monster to pulp, giving a person a reason for some serious point blank action.

Let it be known that I would prefer not to destroy human models which look like that, it just doesn't go down well with me, but monsters....anyway, while this sounds morbid and all, if I could fully articulate what I mean here on the forum I'm sure I'd get a lot of agreement. For me, these enhancments, along with all the goodies mentioned in the first post, would really bring up the visceral satisfaction of the genre. I'm a bit agressive in games, I admit it!
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 11:23 PM   #15
Holy Smoke

1) Guns
2) Dead people
Old 10-12-05, 02:35 AM   #16
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Fun, and lots of blood and violence.

Example: Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 05:34 AM   #17
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Either one of these is enough for me:
Fun - even if it's "desktop graphics"
Atmosphere - if you are in the game, you just gotta play it
COOP - even the crappiest of games has a value for me if I can play with friensds
Skill games - I'm talking about those games where you need to practice a lot 'till you get "PRO" (these are the most rewarding to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smoke
1) Guns
2) Dead people
LOL
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 02:37 PM   #18
Shaitan

I look for as much freedom of movement within the gameworld as possible. Mouse to cheeze corridor doesn`t cut it for me anymore. I did buy DOOM III, cause I never played the Original. Big terrain outdoor maps missions are my thing.

High detail visuals cause the better the visuals, the more immersed I get into the game world.

I look for natural and relaxed gameplay balance feel. Anything that feels forced, imho for ME, I lose interest right there.

Co op. From now on I seriously reconsider buying any game that doesn`t support co op. The old days of gaming where you were almost gaurenteed a great time on the Pubs are over. I find the sp and co op experience way more gratifying now.
WD VelociRaptors X 2 in RAID 0
BFG 295 GTX Rev. B
Enermax Galaxy 850 psu
CoolIT Systems Freezone
Samsung 2233rz
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 03:33 PM   #19
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
DAMN COOP -- i want to play a single player campaign with other people and kick the AI's a*s.
Unreal. Probably the last FPS I'm going to forget. Has co-op, nice outdoors maps, brilliant soundtrack, helpful Nalis unless fired upon. Decent plot, no platform jumping, player gets to discover a new world. For some reason I also liked Half-life, probably because the twists in the plot. In Deus Ex player actually had a choice to go thru non-violent gameplay, killing noone in progress.

In short: original design, non-linear plot or multiple paths to reach a goal, not everything that moves has to be shot and then shot again, soundtrack that fits environment and "the mood", co-op.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 05:33 PM   #20
DoomUK

Send a message via MSN to DoomUK

SP experience-related only:-

1. Immersive atmosphere has become mandatory with the technology modern FPS's run on.. Stunning visuals/architecture and audio are paramount in creating a good FPS.

2. Fun. Linear is fine (see Painkiller, and to a large extent Doom 3), as long as the FPS contains no.1, sucking you into the impressive environment regardless if what you are doing is rather repetative (shoot stuff, find a key/trigger, exit the level or whatever).

Hmm... Well there's two things, I'll think of more when I have time .
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo | Asus A8N-SLI SE | 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 | Leadtek 8800GT ZL 512MB | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat' | Creative Inspire 6.1 | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 180GB Hitachi Deskstar PATA | 19" AG Neovo F-419 | OCZ PowerStream 600W | WinXP Home SP3 | WinVista Ultimate x86 SP1
DoomUK is offline   Reply With Quote