Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-05, 12:17 AM   #1
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Well, for those who have started Steam up recently, you'll see that the game has a new interface. But along with the update, they've made another change: they've totally stripped the Half-life 2 packages on Steam.

To recap, there formally were 3 Steam packages you could purchase: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. At $49.99, Bronze included HL2, CS:S, and all the extras they added onto the base HL2 (HL2: DM, and the upcoming Lost Coast). For $10 more, Silver contained everything in Bronze, plus Valve's entire back catalog of all their previous games and DoD:S when it was to be released. And for $89.99 (later reduced to $84.99), you got everything included with Silver along with a bunch of merchandise (HL2 soundtrack, cap, posters, etc). Now, these packages have been completely been done away with, and have been replaced by...

$39.99: You get Half-life 2. No, not the bronze version of HL2 that you bought a year ago from Steam for $10 more...JUST Half-life 2. You don't get CS:S OR HL2: DM. This "basic" version has been completely stripped of it's multiplayer altogether, all it contains is the single-player HL2 and Lost Coast when it's released.

$59.99: You now get everything you did in the former Bronze version, with the addition of DoD:S and HL:S. No back catalog like you did in the former Silver version, even though it's the same price. Oh, and for some reason...Lost Coast isn't listed as being part of this package while it is in the other two...either they made a typo, or those that buy this package would not get Lost Coast (I'm assuming it's a typo at this point). And even stranger, Lost Coast is listed as being worth $39.99 when you look at the price in the other packages...

$79.99: This is pretty much the "new Silver". You get everything from the $59.99 pack, plus the back catalog (and Lost Coast IS listed as being included with this package). It's the exact same thing you got a year ago in the Silver, but for $20 more (and interestingly enough, that $20 could be spent on the retail Half-life Premier Pack where you get 4 or 5 CD keys which would all unlock the entire back catalog on Steam, instead of just one). This is now the highest-tier pack offered, the Gold version seems to have been done away with completely.

Now, maybe I'm totally missing something here, but it seems that HL2 is now more expensive than ever almost a year after it's release.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 12:27 AM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Wow... now they are just screwing customers over REALLY bad :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 12:32 AM   #3
Mudcrutch

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

i would imagine anybody intersted in packages would have gotten them already.. its been a year now?

not saying i like the new packages. :-\
Mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 12:36 AM   #4
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Still doesn't mean they should screw you over... games are supposed to LOSE value over time generally... I can go out and buy the retail copy (aka bronze which has multiplayer) for cheaper than their new 39.99 piece of crap.
Old 10-12-05, 12:42 AM   #5
Rakeesh

Yeah, I thought people were saying that you'll save money through steam? The price on steam has effectively risen, meanwhile the retail price continues to drop.

Right now HL2 is on sale at fry's electronics for $19.95. That includes HL2DM, and CS:S as well, and costs $20 less compared to steam.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 12:47 AM   #6
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

And now, apparently, you get MORE for cheaper if you go retail :\.
Old 10-12-05, 12:53 AM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
And now, apparently, you get MORE for cheaper if you go retail :\.
Yeah, you KNOW it's bad when a Collector's Edition owner like myself actually feels kinda sorry for people who purchase on Steam now...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 12:54 AM   #8
superklye

Can I get a "F*ck VALVe!" chant going, please?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-05, 12:56 AM   #9
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Can I get a "F*ck VALVe!" chant going, please?
I am all chanted out... chanted for about 3 years and just can't bring myself to do it anymore... so now... YOU MUST ALL CHANT TWICE AS HARD TO ACCOUNT FOR ME!
Old 10-12-05, 01:03 AM   #10
superklye

Quote:
I am all chanted out... chanted for about 3 years and just can't bring myself to do it anymore... so now... YOU MUST ALL CHANT TWICE AS HARD TO ACCOUNT FOR ME!
Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Wo--wait a minute...
Old 10-12-05, 01:07 AM   #11
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Women's volleyball shorts! Wo--wait a minute...
Now that... you can never chant too much. I once read a novel about a kindly old gentleman whom said that until he drew his last breathe... he lived a great life of watching womens volleyball games and is still regarded, to this day... as a pioneer.
Old 10-12-05, 01:26 AM   #12
superklye

Quote:
Now that... you can never chant too much. I once read a novel about a kindly old gentleman whom said that until he drew his last breathe... he lived a great life of watching womens volleyball games and is still regarded, to this day... as a pioneer.
hahahaha